Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
saelwell
saelwell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Whispernet fails to deliver Amazon ebooks on Kindle Touch (K5)

Hi. With the help of this brilliant forum I recently applied a jailbreak to my Kindle Touch and installed Collection Manager successfully. Since then, Amazon does not seem to deliver any purchases. They appear in the 'Pending Deliveries' but are not delivered when I connect the Touch to WiFi.

The Touch is definitely connected to the network OK - the router confirms this. I have switched WiFi off and back on and tried syncing repeatedly. The Kindle is registered correctly and everything else seems OK. I am reasonably certain that I downloaded at least one book via Whispernet before jailbreaking my Kindle Touch.

It looks as if the jailbreak has broken the Whispernet connection, but I may well be missing something.

Can anyone help, either to get Whispernet working or with a workaround? Just so you know, this is my first attempt at jailbreaking my Kindle - it's the first time I have used it since buying it second-hand and I reset it back to factory settings first.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Stephen
saelwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the developers' forum, given that it's a JB issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What else did you install? Because the JB is fairly inert, and definitely doesn't do anything to impede contact w/ Amazon on its own.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Have you tested the Kindle's web browser to make sure that the connection is good?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
saelwell

Thanks for your reply NiLuJe.

I have not installed anything other than the Collections Manager (2.7.7). I should have added that I followed the install instructions on your post 2012-31-07, downloading the file kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip.

Nate the Great - I can browse the Kindle store OK.

Stephen
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
So the connection is good, but delivery is bad.

Try this: Reboot the Kindle (press and hold the power button).

And then: From the Kindle, try to download an ebook you already bought. What happens?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
saelwell

Thanks Nate the great but restarting the Kindle makes no difference. I restarted via the Settings, Restart option (press and hold the power button just seems to switch it off to a blank screen). I have a queue of items waiting to be downloaded, so they should just appear when I connect the wireless, as they used to do.

I am at a loss as to what to try next. I have sent an email to Kindle support describing the problem and am waiting for a response.

Thanks for your help so far!

Stephen
Old 04-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by saelwell View Post
press and hold the power button just seems to switch it off to a blank screen
You didn't hold it long enough. You need to keep it held in until the screen flashes white and the Kindle reboots. This takes at least 20-30s. But it does exactly the same thing as selecting "Reboot" from the menu.

Have you tried doing a Factory Reset? That would be the next sensible thing to try.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
saelwell

Ah well, did a Restart, which cleared everything off the Kindle. I was surprised to see all my collections there (with no items, just the collection names). Then:

1. Registered the Kindle with Amazon
2. Queued books then downloaded OK
3. Applied the jailbreak
4. Restarted the Kindle
5. Tried to download another book from Amazon and this failed

It looks as if I'm doing something wrong with the jailbreak. I copied the files as instructed and restarted the Kindle. Nothing else apart from browsing the Kindle and adding a couple of books to a collection, just to check everything was working.

I'll try to upload an image of the file list I copied in case I've got the wrong jailbreak.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Stephen
Old 04-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
saelwell

Jailbreak file list

File list attached

I should have added that my Kindle firmware version is 5.3.7.2. Serial no starts B011, which I believe makes it a K5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-04_17-34-18.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	136782  

Last edited by saelwell; 04-04-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 04-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Ah well, did a Restart, which cleared everything off the Kindle. I was surprised to see all my collections there (with no items, just the collection names)....
A 'Restart' should not have cleared anything off of your kindle...it should have, well...just restarted it. You definitely should not have needed to re-register it. Weird... When you say 'restart' you aren't doing a 'reset' are you?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Ah well, did a Restart, which cleared everything off the Kindle. I was surprised to see all my collections there (with no items, just the collection names). Then:

1. Registered the Kindle with Amazon
2. Queued books then downloaded OK
3. Applied the jailbreak
4. Restarted the Kindle
5. Tried to download another book from Amazon and this failed

It looks as if I'm doing something wrong with the jailbreak. I copied the files as instructed and restarted the Kindle. Nothing else apart from browsing the Kindle and adding a couple of books to a collection, just to check everything was working.

I'll try to upload an image of the file list I copied in case I've got the wrong jailbreak.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Stephen
Nothing in the list of events you report checks to see if the jailbreak was actually installed and working.

Add a step 3.5 to test if jailbreak is present and working.
Attempting to install one of our *.bin packages should be enough, if correct package for your model Kindle, the "Update Your Kindle" button will not be grayed out.

- - - -

Note: The file list above **must** have been made before you attempted to jailbreak your Kindle - because the process would have consumed the update_*.bin file.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What @GoSharks said .

And in addition to what @knc1 said: do you even see the visual feedback of the JB install, or are you just restarting for the fun of it?

And to expand of the idea of trying to install something, there's a dummy package in the KindleTool thread if you want to try with something innocuous.

(FWIW, I do have a Touch running on 5.3.7.2, and I recently trashed it with a broken fonts-hack test package. Long story short, that gave me the perfect excuse to try a factory reset/full reinstall from scratch, and I definitely could download stuff from Amazon's cloud without any trouble [which makes sense, given that nothing we do should affect this [barring more intrusive stuff, like playing with the firewall or deep framework settings] ]).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-04-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
saelwell

Apologies, I did mean a Factory Reset. I went through half an hour troubleshooting with Kindle Support and they came to the same conclusion, that it needed a Factory Reset.

I could definitely download from Amazon immediately after a Factory Reset and Re-registering it.

The message **** JAILBREAK **** did appear on the screen after installing the jailbreak. I restarted it (I do mean restarted) straight afterwards and it was immediately then that I could no longer download from Amazon.

Yes, the copied files were all consumed - that was a snapshot of the files after copying them to the Kindle. I attach a snapshot of the root after running the jailbreak.

I copied the Dummy Test Hack 'Update_dummy_0.0.N.bin' to the root. 'Update your Kindle' was available on the Settings menu. I updated the Kindle, the Update Successful message appeared and the Kindle restarted. It then stuck at the front page with the tree. I waited five minutes with nothing happening and then did a restart by holding the power button for 40 seconds, which brought the Kindle back to my home page OK.

Have I done everything correctly?

At this stage, before spending ages copying and organising my book collections again, I'd be happy to try another Factory Reset and different(?) jailbreak (or anything else) if that might help narrow down the problem.

Thanks for all your suggestions and apologies again for misleading you earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-04_21-34-34.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	136802  
Old 04-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The pratfall on the reboot after the update *would* point towards an underlying issue, or that might only be a terribly unlucky coincidence (because, well, the dummy package does what it says on the tin, i.e., nothing permanent. If it were to cause an issue, that would be during the update process itself).

Barring that, no clue. worksforme, and, AFAICT, you're not doing anything wrong.

Out of curiosity, how old is the device, are you its first owner, and do you know if untowards things were ever done to it? .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-04-2015 at 06:11 PM.