Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
About 1/2 way through Jo Walton's book What Makes This Book So Great. The book compiles her blog posts on Tor about her joys of re-reading books. Mostly older SF/Fantasy. It's an insightful and fun read and unfortunately it's giving me too many ideas of books to add to my TBR list.
Thanks for the recommendation for Jo Walton's "What makes This Book So Great". I found it very interesting both in what she included (tons of Cherryh, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Steven Brust), and what seemed to be missing from a book subtitled "Re-Reading the Classics of Science Fiction and Fantasy". I particularly enjoyed her discussions of the joys of re-reading, and have added (Oh! The joy!) more books to my TBR. Definitely a worthwhile read.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #17
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Thanks for the recommendation for Jo Walton's "What makes This Book So Great". I found it very interesting both in what she included (tons of Cherryh, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Steven Brust), and what seemed to be missing from a book subtitled "Re-Reading the Classics of Science Fiction and Fantasy". I particularly enjoyed her discussions of the joys of re-reading, and have added (Oh! The joy!) more books to my TBR. Definitely a worthwhile read.
It was a painful book to read. Painful in that my TBR list has increased considerably. Finished Jasmine Nights the other night. A strange little book, but I throughly enjoyed it. Glad you enjoyed it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #18
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Off the top of my head and with varying degrees of metafictional recursion:

Nabokov, Pale Fire

Borges, Library of Babel

Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitdude

Calvino, If on a Winter's night...

Eco, the Name of the Rose
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
A few articles on books and reading:

http://chronicle.com/article/Rise-of-the-Shelfie/146547

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...library-murder
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How about Michael Ende's "The Neverending Story" which features the main protagonist reading about the adventures of another character in the land of Fantasia.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert