Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Kindle ignores Title Sort

I have a Kindle 4 NoTouch (actually, it's not mine, I'm setting it up for someone else) and I'm putting a book series onto it.

I want the books to sort properly, so using Calibre, I set the titles to:
Relativity: 1. Lost & Found
Relativity: 2. Highway Robbery
Relativity: 10. Let It Snow

And then using Calibre, I set the Title Sort field to:
Relativity: 001. Lost & Found
Relativity: 002. Highway Robbery
Relativity: 010. Let It Snow

Now, when I load them onto the Kindle, and tell it to sort by title, the books show up in the sequence 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4...

So, it's sorting alphabetically by Title, and ignoring the "Title sort" field.

Is there any way to fix this?
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswd View Post
I have a Kindle 4 NoTouch (actually, it's not mine, I'm setting it up for someone else) and I'm putting a book series onto it.

I want the books to sort properly, so using Calibre, I set the titles to:
Relativity: 1. Lost & Found
Relativity: 2. Highway Robbery
Relativity: 10. Let It Snow

And then using Calibre, I set the Title Sort field to:
Relativity: 001. Lost & Found
Relativity: 002. Highway Robbery
Relativity: 010. Let It Snow

Now, when I load them onto the Kindle, and tell it to sort by title, the books show up in the sequence 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4...

So, it's sorting alphabetically by Title, and ignoring the "Title sort" field.

Is there any way to fix this?
Have you actually looked on the Kindle to see that the numbers are correct and not actually 1, 10, 11, 12?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You were right. I loaded the mobi files back into Calibre, and the "Title sort" fields had reverted to "1", "2", etc.

Thank-you!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswd View Post
You were right. I loaded the mobi files back into Calibre, and the "Title sort" fields had reverted to "1", "2", etc.

Thank-you!
What you have to do is put the number as you want in the eBook's metadata. Look in the Mobi forum for Mobi2Mobi. It will allow you to change the title in the Mobi eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-03-2013 at 08:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Ravenswd
Enthusiast

The problem is, that no matter what I do, the "Title sort" metadata doesn't take.

I can set it in Calibre, but the mobi file created will always have just the Title field.

I was hoping to avoid setting the actual titles to "001" etc, but it looks like I have no choice.
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The mobi format has no support for title sort. Use the metadata plugboards to copy the title sort into the title field when sending the books to the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Ravenswd
Enthusiast

Thank-you
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'd be a LOT better off leaving the "Title Sort" field well alone, filling in the "Series Name" and "Series Number" metadata, and then using a plugboard to prefix the title with the series name/number.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote