Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Where is Bookeen?

I haven't seen any activity on their blog, nor much on their site. I haven't seen much about an alledged linux source code either which would be requird if they use linux.

Does anyone else know about any of these items?
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
I haven't seen any activity on their blog, nor much on their site. I haven't seen much about an alledged linux source code either which would be requird if they use linux.

Does anyone else know about any of these items?
I don't know who's in charge of maintaining their blog, but I've DEFINITELY heard from both Bookeen - in general - and Michael Dahan in the last few days.

As for the linux source code, I believe they will probably release the source code for the OS once they've settled down from the busyness they're under, what with the backordering and all. But I doubt we'll see the reader app's source code released any time soon. If I understand correctly, that's all something they developed in-house.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Oh, I do not expect source for material they developed in-house... though for some components it might be in their own interest to do so. But that is besides the point,...

I simply hope that they do understand that people who are looking for a product like this, an emerging market, are carefully examining all sellers and might hold back at vendors who actually show little signs of being alive. Such as little updates to web-pages. Communication is life they say!

As for the source to the Linux Kernel and other open source material, it is simply required. By law.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Required by law? I wonder about that. Bookeen is a French company (sited in Paris), so the laws applicable would be the laws in France and the European Union. I don't know about the obligation to release their source code.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
Required by law? I wonder about that. Bookeen is a French company (sited in Paris), so the laws applicable would be the laws in France and the European Union. I don't know about the obligation to release their source code.
They have to do it if the have used GPL:ed code and whatever code the GPL affected. Archos another French company was slow releasing the code for the 04 series and people complained to EFF that sent them some letters and they finally made the code available.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Oh, yes, I wasn't thinking about GPL, but you're right.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote