Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #91
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
Why should you decide how someone who brought you to a retailer gets paid by that retailer? You have nothing to do with that relationship or their arrangement.

What they should get is between the two parties.
On that basis, why should I care about these changes?
And why should I, as some are requesting, go out of my way to clear my browser cookies before buying free ebooks?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #92
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Why should you decide how someone who brought you to a retailer gets paid by that retailer? You have nothing to do with that relationship or their arrangement.
Because it's this pigeon's spend which may "reward" you all out of proportion for posting a link to a free book. In my world, I get to decide who I fatten up and how.

Ghostery is amazing !!!

Last edited by JoHunt; 02-28-2013 at 01:57 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #93
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Again... I get to decide simply because I can. Because it's within my power and it breaks no rules, ToS's, or laws to do so. It's not my fault that third parties can disrupt the arrangement you have with Amazon by simply changing a URL, or installing software to block cookies.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #94
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Because it's this pigeon's spend which may "reward" you all out of proportion for posting a link to a free book. In my world, I get to decide who I fatten up and how.

Ghostery is amazing !!!
If you were paying extra for using an affiliate link, I'd agree. But you're not. The affiliate's cut comes out of Amazon's money, not yours. It's up to you, and only you, to decide how to spend your money. Why is not up to Amazon, and only Amazon, to decide how to spen their money?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #95
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Amazon can decide how they spend their money how they like and I can decide who I share personal data with - deal?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #96
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Why is not up to Amazon, and only Amazon, to decide how to spen their money?
It is up to them how they spend their money. Entirely. But by the same token, I (and my browser) am under under no obligation to be their personal bagman in their transactions with their affiliates.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2013 at 03:14 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #97
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Are all the sites that list free books Amazon affiliates? I had a look on the eReaderIQ website but can't see anything that states they do this?

I should add, like some others have said, I'm perfectly happy to use affiliate links and support websites I frequent if they have them, but although I can understand why the free book sites want them, it does seem very underhand to me.

I use a money saving website that makes it clear on every single link whether or not it's one that earns them any money. That's how it should be done.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-28-2013 at 03:19 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #98
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post

Ghostery is amazing !!!
You aren't "fattening" up anyone. Amazon is.

Amazon wants one thing over all. Traffic. They made the decision long ago to reward based on traffic, by using the indirect referral method.

I'd like to see browser makers disable the ability of mods like this, or at least require them to expose themselves so that content providers can decide whether they want this traffic or not.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #99
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I'd like to see browser makers disable the ability of mods like this, or at least require them to expose themselves so that content providers can decide whether they want this traffic or not.
And you know, when they do I'll go back to what I was doing before I installed the plugin.

Right click -- "Copy Link Location" -- Paste into URL bar -- Remove affiliate code -- Press enter.

A lot easier now, but the results are the same.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #100
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
You aren't "fattening" up anyone. Amazon is.

Amazon wants one thing over all. Traffic. They made the decision long ago to reward based on traffic, by using the indirect referral method.
If Amazon wants traffic so bad, why is it changing its affiliate program policy, which has all of you so upset? Sounds to me like Amazon is trying to stop some sort of abuse. As I said before, I hope that the program is further modified to only give commission for the first click-through.

Quote:
Disclosure works both ways.

Last edited by JoHunt; 02-28-2013 at 04:10 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #101
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
This capability already exists for adblockers, I imagine such detection would be similar for other related extensions.

It comes down to this - it is up to ME which business I choose to support. My Adblock is turned on by default. If I come across a site that I want to continue using, I will exempt it from Adblock and let the ads through. They have to give me something I want before making money off of me.

Too often, affiliate links are located on bogus content marketing blogs that serve no purpose other than getting people to click those links. They foul up search results because, on the surface, they look like relevant matches but they often provide completely inaccurate information and are nothing but advertisements pretending to be objective sources of information.

People end up there, and even if they see the info is no good, they may still click the link to Amazon or some other site because they can see that it starts with the proper address - it is going to a known site. They don't know that it's an affiliate link because there's usually no disclosure, and the don't know that the site that gave them no useful info whatsoever is going to profit from them if they buy anything in the next 24 hours.

It doesn't matter WHERE the money is coming from - that site is profiting without providing a service.

I have absolutely no problem with affiliates that DO provide a service I'm interested in, and I was happy to support them right up to the point where doing so means I have to hunt cookies.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #102
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Are all the sites that list free books Amazon affiliates? I had a look on the eReaderIQ website but can't see anything that states they do this?
If you look on their About Us page you'll see...
Quote:
eReaderIQ.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #103
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

I should add, like some others have said, I'm perfectly happy to use affiliate links and support websites I frequent if they have them, but although I can understand why the free book sites want them, it does seem very underhand to me.

I use a money saving website that makes it clear on every single link whether or not it's one that earns them any money. That's how it should be done.
EreaderIQ's affiliate disclaimer is on their 'About' page, which you can find at the bottom of their homepage.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #104
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

It doesn't matter WHERE the money is coming from - that site is profiting without providing a service.
But they are providing a service. To Amazon. And Amazon is rewarding them for that service.

I personally have no problems with how the affiliate program works. If Amazon wants to give an affiliate a cut of their profit even 24 hours after the fact, that's fine with me. I also realize that not everyone feels the same way I do about it, so a program like Ghostery sounds like a great option.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #105
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Amazon can decide how they spend their money how they like and I can decide who I share personal data with - deal?
Then you should probably avoid doing business with Amazon. Or pretty much anyone else on the internet. Ever.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote