Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
I am reluctant to jailbreak my Paperwhite. I'd like to keep it as stable as possible, especially considering how simple of a device it is. I'm also not sure that I want to get addicted to a feature only to loose it at the next software update and have to wait for the next jailbreak.

Although I must say that having the current book's cover as a screen saver does seem like a very nice feature.
That's a fair point. However, compared with jailbreaks I have done previously on iPhones, for example, this one is very easy, and seems to be very stable.

I also tend to keep Wi-Fi off - when I buy a book I just download it to Calibre and sideload it from there - so I don't get updates automatically. Instead, I tend to run an update or two behind (as I do with pretty much everything - Mac, Phone etc) so by the time I come to update, any issues are already sorted, and someone has worked out how to jailbreak the latest version.

Having the book cover as a screensaver is pretty cool - I am very surprised this isn't a part of the standard Kindle OS.
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrixxxxxxxx View Post
Having the book cover as a screensaver is pretty cool - I am very surprised this isn't a part of the standard Kindle OS.
Why would it? You are supposed to be reading a book, looking for a new book to read and then buy that book with one-click from Amazon. If you look at the screensaver too much and it is not an Advertisement, then Amazon loses money.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Why would it? You are supposed to be reading a book, looking for a new book to read and then buy that book with one-click from Amazon. If you look at the screensaver too much and it is not an Advertisement, then Amazon loses money.
I'm talking about a replacement for the standard Kindle screensavers.

If you've got special offers, then that's a whole different thing, but (correct me if I'm wrong) if you don't have special offers, you just get the standard Kindle screensavers - the pencils and the typewriter keyboard etc. Replacing these with a book cover won't impact Amazon at all.
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Doesn't make sense. The book cover would be a replacement to the current generic screen savers, not the ads. What's more likely to bring more money from them : some seemingly random letters, or a book cover (publicity)? Far-fetched, I agree, but still. Besides, this feature is built-in with the Kobos, so it's not unreasonable to wish.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Doesn't make sense. The book cover would be a replacement to the current generic screen savers, not the ads. What's more likely to bring more money from them : some seemingly random letters, or a book cover (publicity)? Far-fetched, I agree, but still. Besides, this feature is built-in with the Kobos, so it's not unreasonable to wish.
Yes and no. I can imagine there would be complaints from SO Kindle users if such a desirable feature only works after paying to have the ads removed. If Amazon implements it, then they would also have to admit that that feature should have been there a long time ago. Might also be a lot of work to implement for possibly only a very small percentage of Kindle owners that even care what is shown on the sleep screen.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
....Might also be a lot of work to implement for possibly only a very small percentage of Kindle owners that even care what is shown on the sleep screen.
They could just pay NiJuLe to do it!!!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #22
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
If Amazon implements it, then they would also have to admit that that feature should have been there a long time ago.
So? That's often what software updates are for, to bring features which should have been there a long time ago. Or simply to bring a feature which now makes sense.

Quote:
Might also be a lot of work to implement for possibly only a very small percentage of Kindle owners that even care what is shown on the sleep screen.
From a developer perspective, it's a very minimal task. Especially for a company like Amazon, where it could be done in a day.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
They could just pay NiJuLe to do it!!!!
Quote:
From a developer perspective, it's a very minimal task. Especially for a company like Amazon, where it could be done in a day.
Sure they could. How are you going to do it? Make it too simple, and it will be, uhm, too simple. Make it complex to satisfy different needs/wants, and it will be, uhm, complicated and user-error prone. Adding buttons for each option you have in the current version of the hack could easily fill a page on the Kindle. Writing the code to support current cover on sleep-screen is only one step, making it user-friendly enough for Amazon standards is a whole other challenge.

Follow up costs by increased need for customer support is another thing to consider. CS is excellent with Amazon, especially the CS specific for the Kindle. And it is free. Someone has to pay for it though. If it is not you, then it naturally has to be Amazon.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
It would be a really nice feature on the KK, K4, DX. Now that I have a sleep cover on my PW, I don't ever get to see the screensaver anyway.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would like to have my current book-cover as the screensaver. But the paperwhite is already awesome as it is, now that I have bookcovers and font-changing working. My book-covers wouldn't show up and I couldn't change fonts, but thanks to a forum-search here on MR, I solved this problem. Thanks MR!
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote