Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Fired and his driving license suspended for 3 to 5 years.
It is not a human error neither it is a serious mistake that all of us are prone to. It is a life threatening situation. People could die or/and be maimed! Somebody who can neglect things like should be banned. They are either absolutely stupid, I mean on a level that requires medical involvement or morons.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It is not a human error neither it is a serious mistake that all of us are prone to. It is a life threatening situation. People could die or/and be maimed! Somebody who can neglect things like should be banned. They are either absolutely stupid, I mean on a level that requires medical involvement or morons.
Dang! Death is bad enough but to be dead and maimed? Wow!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Dang! Death is bad enough but to be dead and maimed? Wow!

Got me. I have been half awake. Not enough tea.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The man was filmed READING while driving a school bus.
There is no doubt he was READING because he is shown changing the page.

No "investigation" is necessary. Fired. Period.
I agree.

Not only that, the clip I saw on the news clearly showed him steering with his right elbow resting on the steering wheel!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I really don't see why this is up for debate. When I drive, I'm piloting a ton and a half of steel and glass as it skitters along the road within just a couple feet of other people doing the same. For me to take that for granted and choose to distract myself because I can't be bothered to pay attention is unconscionable. This fellow was piloting many tons and carrying many people. His ability to do damage was far beyond mine. Plus, beyond his conscience as a guide, he had clearly established safety rules that were part of his job.

If you think you can safely read (or text) while driving, you're wrong. The fact that you haven't crashed yet doesn't mean anything. I compensate every day for people doing dumb ass things on the road. You don't know how often other people keep you from killing yourself. Driving already comes with risks. We don't have the right to neglect our duties as drivers and risk the lives of other people unduly. It's amazingly selfish. Not to mention this guy was absolutely an idiot if he thought he wouldn't get busted.

On the other hand, I really want to know what he was reading that was so engrossing he felt he couldn't wait until he was off work.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm not impressed. Let me know when someone starts barreling down the sidewalk at high speed with their Kindle, and I'll get my torch and pitchfork. This isn't worthy of such a strong reaction.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #22
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I watched that video, saw him turning pages... Absolutely shocking...

I have a friend who has two family members killed by someone texting, while driving - two different incidents...

How many people could get killed by a bus driver reading while driving?

It's too scary to even think about...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #23
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Geez. What was he reading? Something worth risking death and destruction?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Geez. What was he reading? Something worth risking death and destruction?
What alisa said.
You shouldn't be doing anything but driving. Even radio can distract you.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'm not impressed. Let me know when someone starts barreling down the sidewalk at high speed with their Kindle, and I'll get my torch and pitchfork. This isn't worthy of such a strong reaction.
Unless you or yours happen to be the one he runs into while reading.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I hope this wasn't a MobileRead promotional stunt gone bad.

I see too much of this on the road. People shaving, putting on makeup, texting, eating, reading newspapers, reading novels. I saw one guy driving 140Km/h within 10 ft of the car in front of him and he was holding a novel on the steering wheel. The police aren't catching them because they're too busy fiddling with their laptop computers and radios. I'm glad they got one of them off the road but I don't feel any safer.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Reading? That's ridiculous! Why isn't he singing "The Wheels On the Bus?"
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #28
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Unless you or yours happen to be the one he runs into while reading.........
That's presumptuous and wrong.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
That's presumptuous and wrong.
No.

Your "This isn't worthy of such a strong reaction" is wrong.

Exactly what does a person have to do to elicit a "strong reaction"
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
No.

Your "This isn't worthy of such a strong reaction" is wrong.

Exactly what does a person have to do to elicit a "strong reaction"
A hell of a lot more than glancing at a Kindle during slow stop-and-go highway traffic.