Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #166
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member
Tudorano began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
About communists and communism

Well....seems I have some work this morning Ok, lets begin:

@ Geppetto

It is not a reason of pride but I am older than you. I cought some full years of adulthood in the communist era. I guess also from your words that you are a publisher. This obviously changes the seats we are sitting.

I also come from a working class family. In a communist country except teachers and doctors everybody was the working class. That is because a communist country is an unique, full enterprise (company), all the citizens are workers in that unique company and the leadership is a few guys who control everything not just economically,Human Resources and Management but also politically.

In a communist country the economics are tight connected with the politics (maybe China of today is an exception). Everybody has to be a communist, from small children of 4 to retirement people and all have to declare that loudly and written. It was no alternative. Just the communists have places in a communist country. The others (if there are) are imediately arrested and executed with no trial. No exceptions.
The profit of this huge company goes in a single place and it is distributed almost equally to all the citizens no matter if some of them worked harder and more efficient than others.

Now.....this is a mobileread forum and I dont think a political argue is the proper thing for this place, it is not my purpose to change your political convictions, it is your business ..... my due is just to tell you that you are in a terrrrible error.....and thats all.

Just one more thing: "millions and millions" doesnt mean The Majority. I dont know what country do you live but I suppose you have there decent and correct elections. Just the elections say how many "millions and millions" communists are there. And seems that (Thanks God) the Western Europe is stil a capitalist region.

You have to recruit a few millions more.

And with this....enough with politics....I will not argue with political issues anymore ... find another conversational partner for this...I am fed up with comunism and comunists...I want to live the rest of my life in peace without them.

Maybe I am not wealthier.....but I am more free for sure....and definitely without denounciators on my head (really?)
Tudorano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #167
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

About the copyright issue

@ Geppetto

Well.....finally a proper topic (and a beloved one).

The copyright is a controversial issue since the moment it was invented.
In the modern times, first it was just one law in US. Then became a cluster of laws in US.
Then became a pack of laws admitted internationally in essence but very different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Today there are international aggreements (especially by regions) but the method of implementation and control is also very different from a country to another.

For example in my country the Law of Copyright is very young, is just 10 years old and the law with the methodology of application (because any law is useless and cannot be applied without another law, a twin law which contains the methodology) was not officially released until today. So the law cannot be applied yet.

But.....once my country became a part of the European Union is supposed to apply the European legislation altough European Union does not oblige the countries members to adopt european laws letter by letter........ so the european laws don't rule in a particular country.

Sooo....I agree with you.... It is a mess !

My point in all of this is that legally, at this moment, there is no punishment for lending or gifting a book (even a digital book) to a friend (because thats the issue we talk here....lending and gifting books....its not the case of selling them, I dont want to sell them in any way). I didnt hear yet of somebody legally punished in European Union for lending digital books (maybe you are more informed than me so please tell me if I am wrong).
I heard of legal punishment just for plagiarism.....but that's a totally different issue.

Ok..... thats what I had to say about the legal issue. Now the "moral" issue:

The moral issue reffers to the moral financial rights of the authors (if morality has something in common with money ).

This is a real and hot topic.....everybody discusses it....there are congresses and symposiums on this theme.
I am inside this "movement" because I am also an amateur artist, musician and writter (a very very bad one ) and I discussed this topic with a lot of writters and musicians.
The opinions are totally different from an individual to another. As you maybe heard there are huge artists like U2 and Bob Dylan who enjoy the "free circulation" of their work and say that they are not disturbed by the free downloads. Of course the owners of their copyrights may have a different opinion.
Another case is that of Maria Callas who lived in France and had French citizenship and for that reason she couldnt register in all her life AN ENTIRE OPERA ! This was because the French artist syndicates (unions) didnt allow that due to copyright reasons ?!?!?! And today we dont have a video registration of an entire opera of the greatest soprano in the human hystory.
We have just a second act of a Tosca registration. And that is all !

So Geppetto, like the other message.....if you consider it "piracy" it is ok, I respect your opinion, you are free to believe anything... and I am in full process of "digitalising" my library.......and by the way, after I finish I willl donate all my paperback to a public library.

I hope I responded to all the issues...and I hope we will discuss some interesting different topics in the future.
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #168
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
To Tudorano:

(we're definitely going off topic, by the way)

My friend, how many people were executed in your country (with no trial)?
I don't know how many people were executed in your country with no trial, but I know that MY country's jails are overflowing with your nice fellow countrymen today, and MY streets' country are full of your countrywomen who are selling their bodies and MY country's suburbs are full of your country's gypsies who claim that we MUST provide for them.
And, you know, the funniest thing is that the political organizations that you despise and hate are exactly those who proclaim that we should be open and tolerant with them, and the political organizations that (maybe) you'd praise are those who are dying to kick them out back to their home country.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #169
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

@ MacEachaidh

Yes, you are maybe right, it was my mistake, I was maybe not clear enough.
I told about the past of my country just to be fully understood about the reaction at the idea and the term of DENOUNCIATION (disconnected by the rest of the topic).

It is a big sensitivity related to this term in my country and even if you pronounce it you will storm a huge reaction. Back in the days of revolution some denounciators were hanged by the semaphore blades ... and I am telling this just you to fully understand the dimension of the phenomenon.
I met a lot of people raised in free countries and it was very hard for me to make them understand the real dimension of this thing.

I also wanna thank you for the informations about the Story cover and Amazon ebooks.

The bad part is that I already purchased the cover and I am waiting for the package.
I bought the "igadgitz Luxury Black Genuine Leather Case Cover Sleeve for iRiver Story e-Book". What could you tell me about it ? Is that the cover for Kindle 2?

Thank You !
Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #170
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorano View Post
@ Geppetto
So Geppetto, like the other message.....if you consider it "piracy" it is ok, I respect your opinion, you are free to believe anything... and I am in full process of "digitalising" my library.......and by the way, after I finish I willl donate all my paperback to a public library.
I DO NOT consider it piracy. EUROPEAN LAWS consider it piracy.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #171
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

Oh....Hello Geppetto !

Glad to see you here ! Yes...it seems we are definitely going offtopic )

How many were executed without trial? In the 50s and 60s maybe hundreds (formely it was a trial but it was a trial with the verdict written on the file by the Communist Party). The trial lasted a few minutes and it was boring because anyone knew the verdict from the beginning.
I saw in the News that they found some executions even in the 80s.

Ohhhh.....my beloved citizens. If this makes you happier I want to say that I TOTALLY AGREE with you ! And to make you more happy I want to tell you that I am TOTALLY against emigration of any kind, for any reasons !

Peace bro !

Actually today I wanted to talk about a different topic. Today I celebrate one month of marriage with my Story !
I thought of a modality of celebration and I decided to read an entire book this day. I chose a Ben Renshaw named "Successful But Something Missing". 223 pages will be finished for sure until I fall asleep.
And I wanted to talk about something but I waited to fulfil one month to talk to. The battery !
In one month I NEVER ever charged the battery ! Since I took the device from the shop I connected it just 3-4 times at the computer and kept it connected 5 mins max just to transfer the files to the Story.
I think thats real awesome !

Last edited by Tudorano; 11-04-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: word correction
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #172
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Tudorano,
I wasn't making any comment on your attitude towards "denounciation" (in English it's actually "denunciation", even though the verb is "to denounce"). But that's okay, you've made it clear how you feel, and from what you say I think I can understand why you would feel that way. And it's always good to learn more about someone else's life experiences and point of view, so thanks for that.

What I was saying about copying the books is the same thing Geppetto is saying. It's against the law.

Quote:
I also wanna thank you for the informations about the Story cover and Amazon ebooks.
You're welcome! Hope it was useful.

Quote:
I bought the "igadgitz Luxury Black Genuine Leather Case Cover Sleeve for iRiver Story e-Book". What could you tell me about it ? Is that the cover for Kindle 2?
I've never held one of those in my hands, so I can only guess. From the picture it looks like it would fit both a Kindle 2 and the Story. But the picture shows a Story in there, and it looks like it both fits well and is secure. It doesn't cover any of the ports or buttons, like some of them do, so it's probably a good choice.

I bought one of the specific iRiver covers for my Story, and I'm really happy with it. (A few people are unhappy that it doesn't have any pockets for keeping other things, such as a spare memory card, but I don't mind that.) But the igadgitz was the other one I was considering, so good luck with yours.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #173
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
Quote:
igadgitz Luxury Black Genuine Leather Case Cover Sleeve for iRiver Story e-Book
I have this cover it works perfectly and it is a nice cover to hold.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #174
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

@ MacEachaidh

Thank you for the "lesson" !
Now I have to confess and to tell that I never took English lessons, I never visited a country of English language and even I didnt have a chance to talk face to face with a native speaker of English.
I learned English by myself, from books and movies.
So please notice me when I am wrong.

Seems Samac put my heart back in place and the cover is a Story cover !
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #175
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

@ Samac

Thanks buddy, the information you wrote is welcome and I am peaceful now !
Hardly waiting for the package from our pals of Amazon.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #176
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

iGadgitz Cover For My Story

Well, surprise !

The cover I ordered from Amazon arrived in 5 days (including a weekend) ! I ordered on 3rd and arrived on 8th of November.

With a proper elegant cover the Story transforms in a totally different thing.

Sadly I have to recognise that Amazon rules in business.

Here you have pics with my "new thing"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0007.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	60902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0008.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	60903  
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #177
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
Hope you like the new cover as much as I do.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #178
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Now I have to confess and to tell that I never took English lessons, I never visited a country of English language and even I didnt have a chance to talk face to face with a native speaker of English.
I learned English by myself, from books and movies.
Wow. Then you're doing bloody well, mate.

Thank you for realising I was trying to help, and not criticising you.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #179
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

New Cover and Reflexions

@ Samac

I like the new cover of course.
Beside it's elegant and stylish "the new thing" I was talking about allows me to do things I couldn't do without cover. For example:
1. Now I can walk on the streets and also on the corridors of the university where I work with the Story in hand.
Without cover the only option was to put it in an exterior pocket of my jacket (because the interior ones are too small) and this was not very stilish and confortable because a half of the Story remained outside the pocket.
2. I also can put it on a table in a relaxed way, without the worry you have when you put the plastic Story on a hard surface.
3. I use to record comferences with the voice recorder of the Story. With the cover I can do this naturally because it has a note taker look and there are a lot of note takers on the comference tables.
Without cover the white plastic Story attracted a lot of glances and questions.

So I could say that the Story with cover changed my life for the second time.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #180
Tudorano
Reading Addict Member

Further Ereader Plans

@ MacEachaidh

You are welcome anytime !

You know, since the days I was in search for an ereader I gained the curiosity of reading and searching for news about ereaders. And became a pleasure to do this on a daily basis in my coffee-break. And I realised an amazing thing.
The more I search and the more I look, if today I should purchase a new ereader this will be the iRiver Story again.
It remains unbeatable at the essential criteria of the formats support.

The touchscreens are clearly a step behind and not an option for ereaders (at least in the near future) because of the big problems of battery consumption, reflexion and fingerprints.

Of course the Story is far of being perfect since the guys from iRiver let the job unfinished (maybe for the customers to finish it)
It's the software problem of the reflow and PDF management but this could be solved with a Linux expert I think. This is not an emergency for me, until now I could perfectly read any PDF I put inside my Story, the unequal rows and sometimes the bad reflow don't bother me.

And is also the battery problem (though I dont have this problem yet). But I think a handy electronics technician could modify the back plastic lid for the user battery access and also to modify the battery connections to be user replaceable. This would really rock and would make the Story a life-guarantee ereader.

What do you think?

Last edited by Tudorano; 11-11-2010 at 03:42 AM.