Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Any hint of a new LARGE-SCREEN Reader yet?

With the Kindle DX announced, has Sony mentioned a new large-screen Reader yet?I for one would jump on such a device, but still keep my handy 505.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I just went and read the specs on the DX and some of the info is very misleading, if not outright wrong.

It says that the display is two and half times the size of the regular Kindle. Last time I checked, the Kindle had the 6" diagonal screen, just like the 505. Maybe my math skills are poor but I think if you multiply 6 by 2.5, you will get 15 not 9.7. It also misleads by saying there are over 275,000 books available. Then later it changes it to over 275,00 books, newspapers, magazines and blogs. We have read about how many of those books are multiple versions of the same book as well. I wonder how much more is inaccurate. It says that it holds "up to 3,500 books, periodicals, and documents". Are these full novels or separate docs that say Hi, or some such?

Inquiring minds want to know.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
I still love my 505 but maybe further down the line I'd grab a large-screen version.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I just went and read the specs on the DX and some of the info is very misleading, if not outright wrong.

It says that the display is two and half times the size of the regular Kindle. Last time I checked, the Kindle had the 6" diagonal screen, just like the 505. Maybe my math skills are poor but I think if you multiply 6 by 2.5, you will get 15 not 9.7.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Convert the screen size to an area and then compare. The dimensions of the 6-inch diagonal screen are 4.8 by 3.6 inches (17.28 sq in). Assuming the same aspect ratio, the 9.7-inch should have dimensions of 7.76 by 5.82 inches (45.16 sq in). Thus, the 9.7-inch screen has an area that is 2.6 times larger than the 6-inch screen.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Convert the screen size to an area and then compare.
I was just going to post that. Instead, here's a graphical presentation of the screens. The little square is the 6", the bigger one the 9.7".

Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I've already ordered the DX. I love and thoroughly use my 505. But, that said, the extra real-estate on the DX is going to mean far fewer page turns and accessibility to PDF's that are too small on my little screen. With Calibre I should be able to convert my library over without too much trouble. Then I will be able to use the device whose size best fits the trip.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But according to one of the other posts here, it was said that Sony is going to come out with a larger screen reader later this year and if so, goodbye DX as the software on it will be better. It will support PDF & ePub. Plus your LRF eBooks will still work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But according to one of the other posts here, it was said that Sony is going to come out with a larger screen reader later this year and if so, goodbye DX as the software on it will be better. It will support PDF & ePub. Plus your LRF eBooks will still work.
This is my hope and plan, for these reasons! (OK, perhaps I'm pretty predictable.) I didn't catch the other post about a possible Sony bigscreen Reader, which is why I started this thread. Were any details posted? (Availability, features, price, etc.?)
Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Sony with larger-screen e-reader this year, no color before 2010. There are no details.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
I hope Sony's version has serious improvements and they also choose to improve their bookstore or else this is just catchup and we'll see the gap with Amazon widen even further. Much as I like my Sony, at this rate, Amazon wins unless someone comes up with a vastly better/cheaper Reader and/or someone figures out a way to sell new ebooks at a cheaper than Amazon price.
coase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Does it not occur to you that the "larger screen reader" referenced in the 5/7 post might have been the DX? And even if they come out with a screen larger than 9.7 it is likely that 9.7 is the sweet spot between portability and size. In any case, when I get the DX I'll post my opinions and comparisons.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Does it not occur to you that the "larger screen reader" referenced in the 5/7 post might have been the DX?
If by DX you mean the PVI 9.7" screen, that was exactly my assumption (larger than 6", not larger than 9.7"). There are no known alternatives in the short term, since iRex does not sell its screens to 3rd parties. PVI has a track record of delivering in volume, although they have been slow to get out of the gate with 9.7" screens. These screens will also be appearing in devices from Jinke and Netronix and others.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-13-2009 at 08:19 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by coase View Post
I hope Sony's version has serious improvements and they also choose to improve their bookstore or else this is just catchup and we'll see the gap with Amazon widen even further. Much as I like my Sony, at this rate, Amazon wins unless someone comes up with a vastly better/cheaper Reader and/or someone figures out a way to sell new ebooks at a cheaper than Amazon price.
Out of curiousity, what are the 'serious' improvements to the Sony reader you'd like to see?
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
Out of curiousity, what are the 'serious' improvements to the Sony reader you'd like to see?
Just guessing, but maybe folders and collection utilities? As far as the 505 goes, I love the size and design, the battery life, the format options, button layout, stock cover, plenty of internal memory, etc. I wouldn't change any of those things, nor do I want a dumb keyboard or wireless anything. Give me 2+ weeks of batteyr life in the thin form factor any day!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:43 AM   #15
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Seems the price on the 505 is falling - that could suggest a new model is coming.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote