Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
So I found a new genre

Well, strictly speaking it might be a tad to personal to call it a genre, if I did it would have to be "Parental Genre".
I was casually browsing the Kindle Store for some new reading material when I came across James Michener's Hawaii. Haven't I read that I asked myself, but reading the description and comments I realized that I probably hadn't read it before, but I knew I'd seen it somewhere. After a while it dawned on me, it used to be on my mothers's night stand when I was a little girl just starting school.
This piqued my interest enough that I bought the book. It also got me thinking about what my parents used to read, and I decided to look for other books I remembered, Leon Uris's Exodus came to mind, Clavell's Shogun was another example. Anyway, I bought a bunch of books that I recalled them reading. Is this something the rest of you do? Usually you'd have to find something like this in a used book store, but with e-books they are suddenly easy to get hold of. I suppose some part of me is trying to find out more about who my parents were.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 01-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I don't go out of my way to do it but it has happened. My dad read stuff like Norman Spinrad, Philip Jose Farmer, Michael Moorcock and the like so it's only natural that I'd end up reading some of the same authors in my trek across the SF spectrum.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think my mom has read every Michener book out there. I used to tease her "so how's the big book of adjectives about Alaska?"

Needless to say, we don't always see eye to eye on book choices. She didn't like Haruki Murakami, but we both liked Vikram Seth. We do talk a lot about what we read, she's always looking for more ideas.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My parents never read anything other than my dad reading the newspaper. It's a miracle that my brother and I turned out to be avid readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think my mom has read every Michener book out there. I used to tease her "so how's the big book of adjectives about Alaska?"
So have I. He did those sweeping historical epics better than anyone else. But they have to be your cup of tea.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm lucky that my folks are still around. Growing up, Dad was a big reader of sports stories and Mom read mostly mysteries. These days Dad reads mostly historical accounts of World War II -- he served in the Army back then -- and Mom still reads mysteries. Growing up I read mostly science fiction, which neither of them could stand.

My interests have broadened and I read a lot of mysteries, but I still don't care about sports.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My dad was a big Louis L'Amour fan when I was young. I remember reading a lot of them when my father was done. I was always very excited when he finished reading one and gave it to me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
My parents must be the same generation as yours. They had all of the books you mention, plus works by Mario Puzo, Chaim Potok, Herman Wouk, Mary Renault, many others. Do young people read any of these authors today? I read some of them when I was in my teens and a few had a big effect on me. Sometimes I think about going back to these authors.

My parents (mostly my dad) were big readers and they only bought hardcovers. They have a very impressive library (including the "Harvard Classics"). Out of 5 kids, I'm the big reader in the family, but I live in an apartment so I'm not sure what will happen to all those books!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
My parents had those books as well (Shogun, Hawaii, Exodus), and they've always been a part of childhood memories. They were on a bookshelf, but I don't recall actually seeing my parents read them. I think the only "parental" books I've wound up reading were The Godfather and Fools Die, both by Mario Puzo, which turned out to be excellent.

This thread has inspired me to try out a Michener novel. Someday.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It should be "piqued my interest", not "peaked".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
When my mother died, I found Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry on her bedside table, with a bookmark about a third of the way in. For some reason, I felt compelled to finish it for her. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
When I was a young kid (in the 1970') my dad had a copy of Michener's book "Centennial" which I recall was quite thick even in paperback. Another one he wrote that was fairly thick was "space." I can see both being more accessible on e readers with how many pages there are. His 1991 book "The Novel" is short by comparison.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Well, strictly speaking it might be a tad to personal to call it a genre, if I did it would have to be "Parental Genre".
I was casually browsing the Kindle Store for some new reading material when I came across James Michener's Hawaii. Haven't I read that I asked myself, but reading the description and comments I realized that I probably hadn't read it before, but I knew I'd seen it somewhere. After a while it dawned on me, it used to be on my mothers's night stand when I was a little girl just starting school.
This peaked my interest enough that I bought the book. It also got me thinking about what my parents used to read, and I decided to look for other books I remembered, Leon Uris's Exodus came to mind, Clavell's Shogun was another example. Anyway, I bought a bunch of books that I recalled them reading. Is this something the rest of you do? Usually you'd have to find something like this in a used book store, but with e-books they are suddenly easy to get hold of. I suppose some part of me is trying to find out more about who my parents were.
Guess I'm part of the "Parental Genre". I read Shogun and Hawaii when they were released in paperback!
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Neither my mother nor my dad ever read a book-my dad read the paper, and my mother magazines. I like the Chicago Trib, but hate Women's Day.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It should be "piqued my interest", not "peaked".
Thank you. Unfortunate combination of not being a native speaker together with phone input and auto correct.
I should have mentioned that my parents read the Danish translations of those books so they came out some give years after they were originally published.
Puzzo I also remember, they were boss about the mafia, right?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote