Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post iPhone SDK Released!

For those who have been waiting with bated breath, Apple has released the SDK for its iPhone.

From ZDNet:
Quote:
In a news conference Thursday (otherwise known as Feburary 35th), Apple unveiled the long-awaited iPhone native Software Development Kit (SDK). It can be used by any developers to create native applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Up to now, developers have been limited to writing Web apps that ran inside the Safari browser (though various “jailbreak” hacks allowed unofficial programming). But now you can write programs using the same APIs that Apple’s built-in programs use.
The writer includes a fairly in-depth look at what's included in the SDK. I won't go into it here, but for those interested, you can find the full write up at the above link.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I was really looking forward to this and very disappointed we're going to have to wait until June before this stuff comes out.

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone (hacked!) but the SDK really should have been there at day one, or at minimum, ready in Feb when they said it would.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
For those who have been waiting with bated breath
Bated breath means you've been easting worms.

JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
3rd party ebook readers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I was really looking forward to this and very disappointed we're going to have to wait until June before this stuff comes out.
Hmmmm.... The SDK was released yesterday, right? So I assume we will start seeing 3rd party apps any day now. It's iphone 2.0 (not the SDK) that is coming out in June, with impressive corporate support.

So does anybody know when we will see 3rd party ebook readers for iphone???
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauretteBradley View Post
Hmmmm.... The SDK was released yesterday, right? So I assume we will start seeing 3rd party apps any day now. It's iphone 2.0 (not the SDK) that is coming out in June, with impressive corporate support.

So does anybody know when we will see 3rd party ebook readers for iphone???
there is already a third party eBook reader for the iPhone. Check the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

The beta of the SDK came out, but the only means of delivering said content is through the iTunes store or the iPhone itself, which won't be updated until June. It's not really like Apple to not go whole hog - so I doubt we'll see them in iTunes before 2.0 comes out.

And yes... very nice ebook reader is available. It's hard to imagine any "official" version would be much better.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bated breath means you've been easting worms.

Ehm. That would be "baited" breath.

Last edited by NatCh; 03-07-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Ooooo ... post #7,700
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
The beta of the SDK came out, but the only means of delivering said content is through the iTunes store or the iPhone itself, which won't be updated until June. It's not really like Apple to not go whole hog - so I doubt we'll see them in iTunes before 2.0 comes out.

And yes... very nice ebook reader is available. It's hard to imagine any "official" version would be much better.
The current books.app is nice, but it still needs a lot more work. Good news is that after being dormant for the past three months a new team has continued development. Some things that need to be addressed:

Better speed-- any document larger than about 200k results in long waits when loading.

Autoscroll

Easier way to load books-- currently you need to open an ssh connection and find a directory deep within the file structure.

Better file format support

Ability to read DRM files-- I don't like DRM much either, but I can't buy every book from Baen. Sometimes I want a bestseller that just isn't available except from ereader, mobipocket, fictionwise, etc.

I did notice that ereader.com has a notice that they are investigating a version of their software for the iphone platform. If you want to update to the newest books.app add this source to installer:

http://thebedells.org/books/

Note that books version 1.3.7 will still show up as an upgrade-- ignore that one and install the 1.4+ version. Biggest improvement in this version is landscape support.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
There is also web-based 3rd party reader software called Readdle (www.readdle.com). Not being an iPhone user, I have not seen Readdle in action, but it is one of the things that makes me consider the iPhone as a possibility. The fact that you upload your books does raise some privacy questions, though.

Has anyone tried it?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I did... I seem to remember not being impressed.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
There is also web-based 3rd party reader software called Readdle (www.readdle.com). Not being an iPhone user, I have not seen Readdle in action, but it is one of the things that makes me consider the iPhone as a possibility. The fact that you upload your books does raise some privacy questions, though.

Has anyone tried it?

Jack
Having to be online didn't work so well for my iPod Touch, but I agree it seemed a little buggy and hard to manage. Not a great reading experience.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I probably am not saying anything you don't know already, but there is another Web Apps for the iPhone/Touch called www.textonphone.com which I think is great and much better than readdle. It's the one I use now. It has a workaround for offline reading by using the data:text/html trick.

BTW, this is a great site--I learn a lot of things here.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote