Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
How do you remove a book so sync'ing doesn't put it back?

I cleaned up all the books that I had finished reading from my KT, but today, when I sync'ed via wifi to see if new firmware was available, it is downloading all the books again.

I don't want this to happen unless I specifically request it. Is there a setting or something to prevent reloading books?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Delete any or all books from your I'm Reading tab on the Kobo.com web site site from your My Library. They won't sync any more.

If you want them back - undelete them from the Trash tab and then Bookmark them from the Purchased tab and they will be back in your Reading tab.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I wish Kobo would get a better system for this.
I sideload all my books and so I only sync when I wish to upgrade my firmware. But as I don't want all the kepubs I have purchased from kobo (over 100) to download onto my Touch I need to manually delete them. Then I go back and undelete them so that kobo doesn't suddenly change the rules (like they would NEVER do that would they!! ) meaning I might lose access to these books on my phone, ipad etc.

It's a real pain...
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Delete any or all books from your I'm Reading tab on the Kobo.com web site site from your My Library. They won't sync any more.

If you want them back - undelete them from the Trash tab and then Bookmark them from the Purchased tab and they will be back in your Reading tab.

ltr
OK, doing that. Why are they under "I'm reading" when I finished reading them ages ago? It should update the status to 'Finished' or something, then it could make the download while syncing optional.

Thanks for the tip though
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
OK, doing that. Why are they under "I'm reading" when I finished reading them ages ago? It should update the status to 'Finished' or something, then it could make the download while syncing optional.
This would be perfect and is exactly how I wish it was too...
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
This is the first time I've actually used the sync on my devices. I just got the Mini, so I thought I'd let it sync. I didn't realize that it would download all the purchased books and if you deleted the book, it removed it from all devices and your library. I don't want all purchases on my devices and I don't want the same books on each device. What a pitiful system. All my devices will have Wi-Fi turned off and no more syncing for me. I will sideload only from now on. This isn't even worth the headache.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
What a pitiful system.
Yep
Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Lupa
Lupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'm having the same problem but I have books that I bought from W H Smiths in my library under the 'I'm reading' tab but they are not in my purchased tab so If you delete them on the Kobo Glo they get removed from Kobo Desktop and my Library. When I search for a book I've deleted on Kobobooks.com I can still download them but they are not in my library but Kobobooks.com still thinks its in my library. Anyway I have decided to make another Kobo account and use that one for syncing as there's no books in my second account and updating. Then I just download the epubs from kobobooks.com and sideload them with calibre.
I hope Kobo does a fix for this as its a massive headache trying to only sync certain books at the moment.
Lupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupa View Post
Anyway I have decided to make another Kobo account and use that one for syncing as there's no books in my second account and updating. Then I just download the epubs from kobobooks.com and sideload them with calibre.
This is exactly what I did too.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post

Thanks for the tip though
It is a bit confusing. I'm Reading really means "Books that will appear in my Library on all devices which support that book content"

The status of the book (undread, open, closed / finished) as defined on the client (be it an app or a device) is not applied to to the I'm Reading list.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
HarleyB
Fanatic

Quote:
Anyway I have decided to make another Kobo account and use that one for syncing as there's no books in my second account and updating. Then I just download the epubs from kobobooks.com and sideload them with calibre.
I hope Kobo does a fix for this as its a massive headache trying to only sync certain books at the moment.
What an excellent idea!
Karma coming.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
I'm another who implemented this particular solution. Works a treat but it's a pain that you need 2 accounts when there's got to be another solution for selective sync.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
HarleyB
Fanatic

I have now created a second account with Kobo. I will stay signed into the second account on my desktop app which I only ever use for upgrading.
When I purchase books from Kobo I use kobobooks.com and I will stay signed in with my normal account so that I don't need to keep deleting and undeleting all my books from the I'm Reading section.

Just a note to anyone from Kobo who reads this - while having to delete your books to stop them syncing is bad enough when you go to UNDELETE them there is a very scary button which says DELETE FOREVER right beside the undelete button - and just one click gets rid of them. I have all my books backed up but a lot of people don't so having a system that means you need to continually keep deleting and undeleting books and risk losing them forever is just silly.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
there is a very scary button which says DELETE FOREVER right beside the undelete button - and just one click gets rid of them.
The Kobo servers have a record of all of your purchases so even if you use the DELETE FOREVER button your books can be recovered. Previously, there was a method that end-users could use to do this but that is no longer the case. The current method is to contact Kobo customer care and they will do it for you.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
HarleyB
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
The current method is to contact Kobo customer care and they will do it for you.
To be honest I would prefer NOT to have to rely on Kobo Customer care to get my books back.