Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #61
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I've only read WuBC, and only 3/4 of it. While I find it very readable and compelling from chapter to chapter, I have this nagging question in the back of my mind: is this going to come to anything? I'm not expecting any grand revelation, but some kind of payoff or denouement, or at least a discernible whole, as opposed to just a string of odd surrealist going ons that just ends. I'm reluctant to try other Murakamis for the same reason.
I don't recall loving Wind-up Bird Chronicles, but I am utterly in love with 1Q84, down to the slightly dysfunctional main characters. It's really very compelling and one of the best books I've read this year (I'm about half-way through). I've only really loved Norwegian Wood before this, although I always find his books interesting.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Nice lead review of this in the Sunday Denver Post (apparently originally from San Francisco Chronicle) today:

Book review: In Haruki Murakami's world, it's like 1984 -- almost
Author employs magic realism in a deep meditation about our dystopian trappings

By Andrew Ervin
San Francisco Chronicle
Posted: 11/06/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

What makes the world of Orwell's "1984" so terrifying is how subtly it mirrors and mimics our own world. The same can be said of Haruki Murakami​'s "1Q84."

Haruki Murakami's "1Q84" is one of those rare novels that clearly depict who we are now and also offer tantalizing clues as to where literature may be headed.

The title, of course, evokes George Orwell​'s masterpiece "1984," which is quite timely considering that Orwell is everywhere these days. Flip through this very newspaper and you may well find references to "Big Brother" and "thoughtcrime" and "Newspeak." If "1Q84" is any indication, Murakami will one day prove to be just as much of a visionary.

rest here:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_19259566
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #63
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I just put a hold on it at the library, otherwise it is $14.99.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately it is not listed at my library (as ebook)
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #65
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
If I were to write a review of 1Q84

Haruki Murakami's latest publication 1Q84 is... well I'm not quite sure what it is. There are two main characters that wend their way through a series of half complete scenes which would have made excellent short stories in the traditional Murakami style if completed but, as it is, simply leaves me scratching my head and saying "Huh?". Even going back over what has already been read and splicing the various loosely connected snippets together leaves me wondering what in the world was he trying to say.

If anyone had told me that the author of 'Barn Burning', 'Wild Sheep Chase' or 'Another Way to Die' would end up fabricating such a poorly crafted set of words I would never have believed them.

Respecting Mr. Murakami's writing skills as I do I will put this book on my Another Day bookshelf and perhaps then I'll understand what I'm now missing that the rest of the world seemingly seeing.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #66
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Unfortunately it is not listed at my library (as ebook)
The Free Library of Philadelphia has it, but there is currently a long waiting list:

1Q84

Based on the comments here I think I may start with a different book, perhaps this one The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle A Novel, before deciding to start on a ~1000 page tome that seems to be getting mixed response.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #67
kennyc

I'm thinking I'll finish reading The Elephant Disappears stories first and then see where I'm at....
Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #68
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
FYI

This week's NYT Book Review Podcst is featuring IQ84 and there has been a recent NYT Magazine profile on Murakami.
Apparently a lot of people are scratching their heads over the book.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #69
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
FYI

This week's NYT Book Review Podcst is featuring IQ84 and there has been a recent NYT Magazine profile on Murakami.
It wouldn't be the first time. I think as this thread has shown, Murakami is a love/hate author. Either you like him, and are apt to like all his works, or you just don't. Different strokes and all that.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #70
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
It wouldn't be the first time. I think as this thread has shown, Murakami is a love/hate author. Either you like him, and are apt to like all his works, or you just don't. Different strokes and all that.
I agree.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #71
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
FYI

I find myself scratching my head over this thread. A clear demonstration that we have many different ways of thinking. I find that the book flows and while it keeps me thinking I dont find it terribly odd.

Perhaps a result of a misspent youth but an extra moon showing up is no big deal for me.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #72
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I finished it this weekend, and really did love it through and through. and I think I sort of lost my way through Wind-up Bird Chronicles. I do like Murakami, but I have a weird relationship with his books. Usually if I love an author, I'll track down all of his books and read them in one go. With Murakami, I can only take small doses at a time, even while I admire his writing and imagination while reading the book.. I close it, and I don't want more Murakami for a good time. But 1Q84 is up there as one of my favorites, and it makes me want to seek out more of his books. I never did get around to reading Kafka on the Shore...
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #73
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I find myself scratching my head over this thread. A clear demonstration that we have many different ways of thinking. I find that the book flows and while it keeps me thinking I dont find it terribly odd.

Perhaps a result of a misspent youth but an extra moon showing up is no big deal for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #74
Douggins
Douggins began at the beginning.

Device: deviced?
Have you read any other Haruki Murakami books HappyMartin? I think your finding "that the book flows" and keeps you thinking while still being mundane is the central feeling of most of his books. Somehow, his descriptions of a man cooking pasta then answering a phone, or a lady stuck in traffic and choosing to exit via highway ladder leads to mystery. The appearance of the two moons may have some deeper symbolism than the surface senses, but it seems that Murakami simply writes a tangled story with strange turns...but his characters react as most of us would if two moons appear...internal questioning or just simply carrying on with the routines of this strange world.
Douggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #75
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggins View Post
Have you read any other Haruki Murakami books HappyMartin? I think your finding "that the book flows" and keeps you thinking while still being mundane is the central feeling of most of his books. Somehow, his descriptions of a man cooking pasta then answering a phone, or a lady stuck in traffic and choosing to exit via highway ladder leads to mystery. The appearance of the two moons may have some deeper symbolism than the surface senses, but it seems that Murakami simply writes a tangled story with strange turns...but his characters react as most of us would if two moons appear...internal questioning or just simply carrying on with the routines of this strange world.
No I have not and I think you have put your finger on what I find so facinating about his writing. The mundane and how we can apply that to extraordinary things and keep going. I do intend trying more of his work. Cycling and work have temporarily stalled my reading at the moment.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote