Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ice Cream Sandwich and Buttons

Android OS 4.0 May Go Down To Just One Hardware Button

Quote:
According to this source, the Back, Search, and Menu buttons that have always been standard on Android-based smartphones are not part of this device. Instead, there is only a Home button.
In fairness, this is one guy who saw one device, not a policy. Personally, I like buttons -- actual physical buttons, not even the dedicated capacitive spaces.. I also hate wasting screen real estate when it isn't necessary.

My hope is that there's flexibility in the OS. That a manufacturer could choose to retain the normal OS buttons and still have them work, and that wherever the soft buttons are, they wouldn't have to crowd out the screen for folks who have buttons. And then for folks who prefer it, they can still have their all touchscreen interface if they like.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Oh, I can surely see some more litigation coming from Apple with a single button...

I agree with in in that I like having more buttons. Physical buttons. Hell, I even like the little trackball on the Eris and the little track-nub-thing on the Incredible. Hopefully, they'll still grant some freedom there.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Oh, I can surely see some more litigation coming from Apple with a single button...

I agree with in in that I like having more buttons. Physical buttons. Hell, I even like the little trackball on the Eris and the little track-nub-thing on the Incredible. Hopefully, they'll still grant some freedom there.
The one button they are talking about is the power button from what I have read it will be just a screen nothing else in the front or the sides. This just means that their is no need for buttons not that manufacturers can't put buttons.
My Galaxy S three buttons one physical two capacitive. Studying my usage I mostly use the back capacitive button can live without the other two truthfully but still would like to have them.
Hopefully samsung will be able to come out with a flexible screens that have buttons under the screen for people like us that want physical buttons.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Flexibility is what the OS is all about. There will always be devices with hard buttons, and know there are options for without buttons.

I use to like buttons better, but they eventually break. Capacitive buttons seem to last. A year after having my Vibrant the buttons are still in mint condition. That never happens with hardware buttons.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
A year after having my Vibrant the buttons are still in mint condition. That never happens with hardware buttons.
Obviously everyone's mileage varies. The hardware buttons my now 2 year old touch pro2 under heavy use are none the worse for wear. Likewise for the buttons on my Palm TX that suffered about 4 years of use, and my m500 before that that suffered another 4 years.

Generally though, fewer moving parts makes life easier and requires you to be less worried about who your manufacturer is or how you carry your hardware.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert