Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
SparrowsFoot
SparrowsFoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Question ebooks for Kobo

Hi guys, I'm really new to this whole ereader thing, but on friday I went and pre purchased a kobo. Now I'm freaking out! But it could be over nothing... I went on the kobobooks.com and most of the books I searched for I couldn't find. Now I'm worried, or am I just doing something wrong? Is there other places I can get ebooks from? I'm about to run out the door, so I cant search through all the posts to see if this is already covered... please don't crucify me! It's just that if the kobo has a really limited range, I'll go tomorrow and see if I can get my money back and spend the extra money on a Sony 600 which is what I originally wanted. I'd love some help on this. As I said I could just be insanely naive and just not know where to look. And to be honest, just some general advice would be great. Should I bother with the kobo or just jump straight to the sony 600?

Thanks!
SparrowsFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Anyplace that sells Adobe DRM'd ePub's will work. Although depending on where you are you may run into problems with geographical restrictions.

Books On Board
Sony
Direct Ebooks

...are a few that offer ePub's for sale.

You can also try a search engine like InkMesh to find various sellers with the books you want.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
SparrowsFoot

I'm in Australia. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Thanks for that by the way!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowsFoot View Post
I'm in Australia. Do you think that has anything to do with it?
Absolutely! The Kobo ebook store's selection is limited by geographic region:

http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/8512...l-rights-error

You should use the Australian Border's ebook store. (Note: you can use the software that came with your Kobo to browse and purchase from the store. The software has much better genre classifications than the actual website, for some bizarre reason).

Last edited by artificial; 05-29-2010 at 09:09 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm pretty sure you don't need "Adobe DRM'd ePub" i haven't had any trouble with just normal ePub files. Borders store is annoying as the search function is broken just search the authors name and nothing relavent will come up, but if you notice there a link that says "did you mean book written by ___" or something like that. Even then it will come up with physical books as well as ebook. At least there clearly mark whether they're ebooks or not.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need "Adobe DRM'd ePub" i haven't had any trouble with just normal ePub files.
That's quite right.

@SparrowsFoot , just to avoid any confusion, if you purchase an ePub it almost certainly WILL be DRM encumbered.

Out-of-copyright books (Dracula, Pride and Prejudice, etc) are available without DRM protection from many sources such as http://manybooks.net/

And if you have books in another format (.lit, .mobi, etc) and they are not DRM protected, you can use Calibre to convert them to ePub format: http://calibre-ebook.com/
Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need "Adobe DRM'd ePub" i haven't had any trouble with just normal ePub files. Borders store is annoying as the search function is broken just search the authors name and nothing relavent will come up, but if you notice there a link that says "did you mean book written by ___" or something like that. Even then it will come up with physical books as well as ebook. At least there clearly mark whether they're ebooks or not.
Quite right, you don't need Adobe DRM'd ePub. You just need Adobe DRM'd ePub if the books you're buying are from the bigger publishers, because they all sell DRM'd books only (except Baen who's kinda big and Pan Macmillan who last time I checked had DRM free stuff).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
SparrowsFoot

Wow! Thanks for all the information, even if some of it did go over my head. I assume that as I start using and exploring with an ereader a lot of this will make more sense to me? (Or is that a little too optimistic of me?)

Has anyone here got a kobo, live in Australia and purchase books from http://ebookstore.sony.com successfully and use them on their kobo?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Sparrowsfoot. Hope you soon get the hang of it. There are quite a few Australian MR members with Kobo who'll probably chip in with advice before the weekend's out. The Sony is also a neat machine (mine's a 505) but you'll face the same restrictions on the Sony store that I do. There are many sources of ebooks, though, so it's no big deal once you find your way around. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
nooders2006
nooders2006 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Welcome Sparrowsfoot,

If you have ebooks in other formats (non DRM) such as LIT, RTF, DOC TXT etc I'd recommend a freeware program called Callibre which can convert these to epub and also can sync them onto your Kobo. I agree to local offerings for the Kobo are minimal - hopefully this will change soon
nooders2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
Absolutely! The Kobo ebook store's selection is limited by geographic region:

http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/8512...l-rights-error

You should use the Australian Border's ebook store. (Note: you can use the software that came with your Kobo to browse and purchase from the store. The software has much better genre classifications than the actual website, for some bizarre reason).
I found their software really good in regards to buying books...

I at the term 'territorial rights'... maybe because I very much an animal person... and used to the term Geographical restrictions...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
SparrowsFoot

You guys are awesome! Thanks heaps for all the super helpful advice! I just really want a reader that works well, has minimal hiccups and has access to a large range of books. I just spoke to the guy @ borders and he's all like, '2 million books plus more added everyday' *sigh* hopefully he's right and they just happen to be adding all my favourites!

So, in your personal opinions guys, Sony 600 or Kobo? I'm happy to have you choose for me, as I keep bouncing backwards and forwards.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I happened to be using a proxy server this evening and noticed that I was getting the US version of Kobo store and US prices (lower than here in Canada). I didn't try to buy anything, but I did wonder...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
SparrowsFoot

ooh really? I wouldn't have been able to be as good as you too curious for my own good!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 AM   #15
artificial
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I happened to be using a proxy server this evening and noticed that I was getting the US version of Kobo store and US prices (lower than here in Canada). I didn't try to buy anything, but I did wonder...
I love it when a foreign IP address is all that's required to circumvent geographic restrictions!

Tags
ebooks, ereader, kobo, koboreader.com, sony 600