Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
From which ebook store to buy book to remove DRM and read on Kindle?

Yeah, I know we can not discuss DRM removal here in specific, just in general. As I see there is not much difference if I but the book in .mobi or .epub as after removing the DRM I can convert it as I wish.

Is there a particular advantage of buying from a specific e-book shop like cheaper than the others or easier DRM removal process compared to other shops?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Any bookstore except Apple's will work. I just buy from the store with the best deal.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Not talking about DRM removal, but if the book already comes as an ePub, then you should get it. That saves a conversion step at the very least. From my experience most DRM-free books are already available in ePub format.

Why buy mobi/fb2/kobo to convert to ePub to then convert to mobi when you can buy ePub directly? The more conversions you go through the nastier the code gets and the more work you have to do to clean it up!

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I think the OP has a Kindle (assuming this from the title of the thread) and thus would need to convert an epub to mobi in order to read it on his/her device.

I have a Sony but in my experience, I haven't encountered any issues converting from one format to another. I read novels with no graphics, so many these types of ebooks are easier to convert.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Understood, convert epub to mobi...but the OP doesn't need to convert from other formats to epub, then epub to kindle....if they purchase in epub format first, the conversion is much neater with less work to clean.
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Understood, convert epub to mobi...but the OP doesn't need to convert from other formats to epub, then epub to kindle....if they purchase in epub format first, the conversion is much neater with less work to clean.
True.

*If* you want to (someday) read it on an epub-derived reading device or app.

But if he buys to read on Kindle and buys from Amazon he only needs to remove the DRM. No conversion needed. One less step to worry about.

I'd say: go with the cheapest source. If it happens to be epub, fine. If it happens to be Amazon...? So be it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
True.

*If* you want to (someday) read it on an epub-derived reading device or app.

But if he buys to read on Kindle and buys from Amazon he only needs to remove the DRM. No conversion needed. One less step to worry about.

I'd say: go with the cheapest source. If it happens to be epub, fine. If it happens to be Amazon...? So be it.
I suppose that's true but what would be the point of buying from amazon to remove the DRM to read it on a kindle? Just buy from amazon and read. The purpose of removing DRM is to make it portable to any/all other devices is it not? Wouldn't you want your non-DRM file to be readable in *any* device...thus the open format ePub. If you have your original copy of the book in non-DRM ePub format, then you can read it in anything, or convert it to mobi to read on their proprietary device, but you still keep the original open format for archival purposes.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
I suppose that's true but what would be the point of buying from amazon to remove the DRM to read it on a kindle? Just buy from amazon and read.
I have a Paperwhite, and I mostly buy from Amazon, but I always strip DRM anyway, because I like to back my books up on my computer. I don't totally trust The Cloud to save my books for me. (they're also backed up in 2 other places, one on an USB stick with Calibre Portable on it.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Do you save them in mobi or epub format after stripping DRM?
If it is mobi are you not concerned that you will lose your library if your kindle breaks, or are you willing to be tied to Amazon forever?? Please excuse me if that sounds rude, I don't mean it to be. I am just wondering what the purpose of stripping drm is if you are still stuck with the proprietary format.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I usually save in both mobi and epub. and, as I said, i strip drm because I like to have usable backups, and not to have to worry which kindle I downloaded the file to. I manage my kindle, plus those of my husband and son, so that would be a nightmare trying to keep track of which kindle the book was downloaded to.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I suppose that's true but what would be the point of buying from amazon to remove the DRM to read it on a kindle?.
Because Amazon often has the best selection and price, and buying on the Kindle is convenient, AND then if you also strip DRM, you are protected if you change readers later and doing it now rather than later also protects against any future Amazon system changes, or side effects of the zombie apocalypse.

Theoretically, I agree that epub to mobi would be the way to go, but in practice, I've never encountered a difference.

Last edited by ApK; 04-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I try and purchase all my books as epub without DRM - I want to support the non-DRM movement. If I have to, I buy epub with DRM and strip it. As a last resort I will buy amazon mobi, then strip and convert to epub. I keep all my books in a calibre database and if necessary convert to azw3 to read on the kindle. That way I am not tied to any one format or device.

As an amusing aside:
My wife bought 2 paperwhites so we could "share" books purchased from amazon. After I set up the above system, she rarely uses the PW. Now she uses it only when she wants to read in the bath. She no longer cares if it falls in the water and gets destroyed...all the books are recoverable and she can choose the best device that is available if/when that should ever occur.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I usually save in both mobi and epub. and, as I said, i strip drm because I like to have usable backups, and not to have to worry which kindle I downloaded the file to. I manage my kindle, plus those of my husband and son, so that would be a nightmare trying to keep track of which kindle the book was downloaded to.
Same here (well, except for the part about husband and son ) My very first ebook experience was buying the Complete Enchanter from peanut books on a palm pilot, then peanut went belly up. Now the only way to get the Complete Enchanter is via the dark net. I buy most of my books from Amazon, but I also buy from Sony and B&N, just depending on who has what and where I find it first. I strip the DRM so I can read it on any of the devices that I have (I have most of the major ones). Most of my reading is done on an iPad via iBook.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Is there a particular advantage of buying from a specific e-book shop like cheaper than the others or easier DRM removal process compared to other shops?
I don't own a Kindle and the shop I frequent the most is Amazon because they meet the criterion you set forth.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Do you save them in mobi or epub format after stripping DRM?
If it is mobi are you not concerned that you will lose your library if your kindle breaks, or are you willing to be tied to Amazon forever?? Please excuse me if that sounds rude, I don't mean it to be. I am just wondering what the purpose of stripping drm is if you are still stuck with the proprietary format.
DRM-free mobi7 format is readable on non-kindle hardware and software.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI

And amazon is not the only ebook supplier/vendor supporting it. They are merely the only vendor using the kindle drm.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote