Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #46
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast
Sasssysweeet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and K3G
I don't have a second computer to test it on. I did do a complete restore on this computer and installed calibre fresh and new to see if that would work but it didn't. I'm so frustrated by this.
Sasssysweeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Sassy; one option would be if you have a USB memory stick to install a copy of calibre Portable to it; Portable is totally independent of the settings on the regular calibre and you could at least try a conversion / load of a book that way.

Have you tried any of the Mobi files from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library here at MobileRead; this could maybe let others with a KF try the same book and see what happens. Next step could be to try an ePub from the library here and convert it to Mobi, and again have another KF user try the same book and conversion.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #48
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

How do I install to a memory stick?
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #49
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
I don't know if this will be of much help or not because my process for getting files onto my fire is different from yours. For the non-amazon files, I do everything through calibre and so far (knock on wood) have had no major issues.

1)add book to calibre, preferably as epub original

2)convert epub to AZW3 (=kf8) file - conversion settings - azw3 output NOTHING checked, especially enable sharing box, this usually results in the book showing under books not documents
common options = kindle output, check remove first image, check remove fake margins, check insert metadata as first page

I usually do NOT batch convert and I check the settings on every conversion before hitting ok. It's amazing how many old conversion settings calibre remembers and it defaults to the last conversion setting or the preferred choices that were checked when the book was added.

3)plug in device, calibre recognizes kindle fire

4)select files, send specific format = azw3 to device

5)check device icon - files there so eject device.

6)probably not necessary but I shut down the fire then start it up again before checking for the new files (for luck). Fire does not see them as the newest if sorting by recent but they show up if sorting by title or author. sometimes they're a little slow to open or they open then crash but completely open with no problem the second time I select them.

after trying to figure out why I had the same book in books and documents I now make sure that I have completely deleted any old versions of the file that I will be sending to the fire.

Prior to the development of the azw3 file output in calibre, I did this same process with epub to mobi conversions (NO check in enable sharing) with no problems.

Since it sounds as if you're sending files to a folder then sideloading onto the fire have you checked that you haven't got some template in save to disk that is making the fire unhappy. Are you able to open & read your converted files in (1)calibre and (2)kindle for pc/mac?

Sorry for the long-winded spiel but trying to cover all the steps (I can think of) to make sure that there's not 1 little glitch that makes the fire unhappy.

And I agree with Blossom, do not hesitate to contact kindle support if a factory reset did nothing. I managed to have at least 1 kindle keyboard replaced and we almost had my spouse's fire replaced before the "advanced" kindle support figured it out.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #50
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Thank you Elizabeth. I will try those steps next. I did try converting to azw3 and I have tried using calibre to send the files to my device but none of that worked either.

As for Peter's suggestion, I downloaded an epub file where you suggested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178760

I converted it to mobi and it doesn't show up so if anyone wants to try to use the same file and see what happens please feel free. As I've said before, I am at a complete loss. I've used Calibre since I bought my K3G over a year ago and never had any problems until I got the KF.
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #51
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

I'm going to try all of this tonight and get back on here with results sometime tomorrow. Quick question, I'm not familiar with the azw3 format, does it work on K3G?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #52
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasssysweeet View Post
I'm going to try all of this tonight and get back on here with results sometime tomorrow. Quick question, I'm not familiar with the azw3 format, does it work on K3G?
AZW3 works on the kindle fire (? maybe the touch) but not on any of the non-android based readers like the keyboard. Calibre will not even recognize AZW3 as a file type to send to an older kindle. If you forget & sideload an azw3 file or send a mobi file that's really an azw3 file on to an older kindle it will show up but not open, plus your poor kindle will keep trying to index it.

So I currently send azw3 files to the fire and mobi files to the keyboard.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #53
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sassy; have you tried to install an original MOBI; not one converted by you?

And for calibre portable; see http://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

All you do is to unzip the downloaded file to a USB drive
Quote:
To use, just extract the "Calibre Portable" folder from the zip file and run the "calibre-portable.exe" program inside it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #54
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasssysweeet View Post
Thank you Elizabeth. I will try those steps next. I did try converting to azw3 and I have tried using calibre to send the files to my device but none of that worked either.

As for Peter's suggestion, I downloaded an epub file where you suggested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178760

I converted it to mobi and it doesn't show up so if anyone wants to try to use the same file and see what happens please feel free. As I've said before, I am at a complete loss. I've used Calibre since I bought my K3G over a year ago and never had any problems until I got the KF.
I used the file above and ran several conversions.

1)converting to azw3 & sending to the fire - no problem, didn't even do the freeze that occurs on the first opening of some azw3 files.

2)converting to mobi & sending to fire - problems.

I could see the book in books and could open it but then the book would crash & close. Even tried renaming the file from .mobi to .prc since the fire's amazon books are stored in that format. Book listed in books, opened then crashed & closed.

Checked the heading metadata, both the mobi & azw3 files had 501 & 113 fields appropriately filled out. 113 field was calibre generated rather than an amazon ASIN but I've never had a problem with that bothering the fire in older mobis.

I was able to open & read through the mobi file using kindle for pc. (forgot to try it on my k keyboard -> tomorrow)

So I'm baffled. Knowing amazon it's something in the mobi format that no-one else uses and that is specific to the fire. Maybe something will occur to me while sleeping.

On windows 7, calibre 0.8.52, kindle for pc 1.9.3, kindle fire 6.3.1
Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
I used the file above and ran several conversions.

1)converting to azw3 & sending to the fire - no problem, didn't even do the freeze that occurs on the first opening of some azw3 files.

2)converting to mobi & sending to fire - problems.

I could see the book in books and could open it but then the book would crash & close. Even tried renaming the file from .mobi to .prc since the fire's amazon books are stored in that format. Book listed in books, opened then crashed & closed.

On windows 7, calibre 0.8.52, kindle for pc 1.9.3, kindle fire 6.3.1
Odd I converted the epub above to mobi and it works fine on my Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #56
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

Can't remember if I sent the azw3 version to the fire first or the mobi, the azw3 I think. Even though calibre & I deleted everything pertinent to the file before sending over the mobi file, there may be something in a hidden folder that I'm missing. the fire equivalent of a json log or something.

Will try with a different epub to mobi, no azw3 file later & see if that works.

Gotta go for a few hours.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #57
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Okay, so I tried the azw3 steps that Elizabeth recommended and it worked on all but one book. That book kept crashing. The others seem to be okay. There definitely seems to be a problem in my conversion process since last night Blossom converted two files to mobi for me that worked but when I converted them they didn't work. I feel confident now that the problem is not the kindle but something in the conversion process. We both used the same source and converted to mobi and hers work and mine don't.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #58
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

Glad most of them converted & opened.

I converted some other epubs to mobi & azw3 and had no problems with them in either format on the fire.

I re-converted Harmer John from the epub source but still the same problem - the new mobi could be seen, clicked open and consistently after a count of 5 would crash & close. But azw3 version still works with no problem.

I would have said that it's something in the source file but Blossom used it as well & had no problem with her mobi conversion.

If it's in calibre's conversion process then why would the same steps used in different epub -> mobi conversions present with differing results. Plus the fire-offending mobi file has worked fine with kindle for pc etc.

common conversion steps - output = kindle, structure detection = checks in remove first image, remove fake margins & insert metadata. mobi specific - personal document [EBOK] and nothing checked.

send to device template- default except on auto management rather than manual.

I haven't been able to recreate this with any other mobi conversions yet, so far all are working fine.

Back to yardwork.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #59
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Okay so we know it's not the Kindle Fire and not the source. Now it could be something in the settings on Calibre. I will take some screenshots and post mine.

I am using Vista 64 not Windows 7 so that is one huge difference between us.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #60
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

I'm on windows 7 64bit. How do you take screenshots?