Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Getting kobo to save your preferences?

Is there a way to get the kobo to remember my preferences? I want my books to be sorted by author, not title, and it remembers that while it's sleeping, but as soon as it's turned off, it defaults back to sorting by title. I'm tired of seeing Huck Finn first on the list every time.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I ran into this for a bit just recently, but after a few resets, it finally complied with my wishes and now sorts the way I want--by Last Read. You might try setting the preference and then going to Books and then shutting down from there. It seems like if it makes it through one on-off cycle, you're good to go. Does it keep your date and time set?

Did this always happen to you, or did it start happening recently.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

It's always happened. I'll try your suggestion.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amo, things like that may be manufacturer's defects, I suppose. If the behaviour doesn't improve after the 1.8 update, I'd try to return it as a manufacturing defect.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
amo
Teaist

Well, shutting down from the "Books" screen didn't do it either. Interestingly, when I do that, it still goes back to teh "I'm Reading" screen when I power up again- I would expect it to go to the last screen I had open. Hmm.

Oh, and yes, it remembers other settings just fine- time, date, cover preference etc.
Is the 1.8 coming out soon?
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

What is soon? I know for a fact that the closed beta testers are putting various things to the test and providing good information to senior Kobo folks. I don't know when the process will be completed.

You always have the option of returning your Kobo now and having one you are truly happy with before the update is released.

One other choice might be to "return to factory default" (under advanced settings) and see if reloading the whole thing from scratch takes care of it. You would have to download your books again, but that is probably the choice I would make because i am always sorta curious about such things.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
amo
Teaist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What is soon? I know for a fact that the closed beta testers are putting various things to the test and providing good information to senior Kobo folks. I don't know when the process will be completed.

You always have the option of returning your Kobo now and having one you are truly happy with before the update is released.

One other choice might be to "return to factory default" (under advanced settings) and see if reloading the whole thing from scratch takes care of it. You would have to download your books again, but that is probably the choice I would make because i am always sorta curious about such things.
Actually, I just saw in another thread that they're expecting 1.8 out before the end of the year. I can wait that long.

Returning the kobo would be pointless, because the new one would have the exact same issue; it's in the firmware of the WiFi. I know, because I've already returned mine three times (for various issues), and they all had that problem. I read mostly sideloaded books and pdf's, and there's an issue with the sleep/power settings for those. They're promising a fix in 1.8, which hopefully will take care of this issue, too.

But thanks for your help!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Do you know for sure that this issue will be in the 1.8 release? I haven't read that anywhere on this forum. It's really bugging me, too...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
amo
Teaist

1.8 is supposed to fix those sleep/power problems on sideloaded books; I don't know if it'll deal with the not saving preferences. I did mention it to them, so here's hoping.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
The current beta does not save book sort across a shutdown. Could very well still be on the "to do" list however.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote