Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Strupniveral
Strupniveral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Web interface and plugboards

Hi,

Is there any plan to apply the plugboards also when downloading a book from the web interface?

I'm using the web interface because is faster/easier than turning on a pc, connect kindle via usb, etc, but with the plugboards I can easily manage series into the kindle so having the plugboards applied also to books taken via the browser.

I'm also willing to put the hands on code (well, at least try to do so ), but before doing so I'd like to know if it's feasible according to current calibre implementation?

Any suggestion / direction is highly appreciated

Thanks & Regards
Strupniveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strupniveral View Post
Hi,

Is there any plan to apply the plugboards also when downloading a book from the web interface?
I don't have any plans. Someone else might.
Quote:
I'm also willing to put the hands on code (well, at least try to do so ), but before doing so I'd like to know if it's feasible according to current calibre implementation?
It is in theory possible. All book fetches go through a common method. That method would need to update metadata. In fact, the method already does update epubs (without plugboards), but all other formats are passed on unchanged.

Code of interest is in library.server.content.py.get_format()

Edit: you would also need to add a special device to the plugboard gui, permitting the user to target the content server. This device would need to be handled like send-to-disk, not conflicting with any device.

Last edited by chaley; 10-03-2010 at 11:45 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Strupniveral
Strupniveral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I don't have any plans. Someone else might.
Here I am
I'll try to see if I can come up with something of reasonable (and working )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is in theory possible. All book fetches go through a common method. That method would need to update metadata. In fact, the method already does update epubs (without plugboards), but all other formats are passed on unchanged.

Code of interest is in library.server.content.py.get_format()

Edit: you would also need to add a special device to the plugboard gui, permitting the user to target the content server. This device would need to be handled like send-to-disk, not conflicting with any device.
Thanks!
Strupniveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I would suggest not doing this for formats other than epub and perhaps MOBI. Setting metadata in some formats is very slow/cpu intensive, you dont want the server to be overloaded too easily
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote