Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Some people regard the Kobo's firmware as someone buggy. Might be an idea to look in the Kobo forum and see what people think there.
Thanks, Harry - will do - none are perfect, eh!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Thanks, Harry - will do - none are perfect, eh!
Thank again, Harry - after reading, Kobo probably not the one I want.

Anyone know if I can install Mantano reader on the Kindle PW or any eink reader? I've tried Mantano's site and also Amazon, but still can find out.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank again, Harry - after reading, Kobo probably not the one I want.

Anyone know if I can install Mantano reader on the Kindle PW or any eink reader? I've tried Mantano's site and also Amazon, but still can find out.
You should be able to jailbreak the nook and install an android reading app on it. Check in the nook forum to be sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should be able to jailbreak the nook and install an android reading app on it. Check in the nook forum to be sure.
Yes, but isn't the Nook LCD? I need eink. But, I'll check on it, thanks.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yes, but isn't the Nook LCD? I need eink. But, I'll check on it, thanks.
The Nook Simple Touch (and the Nook Glow) is eInk.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Nook Simple Touch (and the Nook Glow) is eInk.
Thanks, it looks like a rooted Simple Touch can run Mantano - appreciate the help!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
For camping you might find having a light built in would be useful so you could look at the eink readers that have frontlighting.
I'm going to dissent on this, based on my own extensive experience using my non-PW Kindles for days-weeks at a time hundreds of miles from the nearest power outlet. Most of the time*, we campers take LED headlamps (with spare batteries) on such trips, and headlamps work great to illuminate eReaders, books, etc. In contrast, using a built-in light is going to drain the reader's battery faster and those batteries can't be replaced or recharged in the field. Unless, of course, you are car camping (which isn't really camping).

*Actually, during most of the camping season here we don't need artificial light because night is only a couple of hours long at worst, with twilight bright enough to read by outside the tent.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
I'm going to dissent on this, based on my own extensive experience using my non-PW Kindles for days-weeks at a time hundreds of miles from the nearest power outlet. Most of the time*, we campers take LED headlamps (with spare batteries) on such trips, and headlamps work great to illuminate eReaders, books, etc. In contrast, using a built-in light is going to drain the reader's battery faster and those batteries can't be replaced or recharged in the field. Unless, of course, you are car camping (which isn't really camping).

*Actually, during most of the camping season here we don't need artificial light because night is only a couple of hours long at worst, with twilight bright enough to read by outside the tent.
Those all seem like good points, however I guess it depends circumstances and on what factors are most important to you. Headlights might be more distracting to a tent mate if you like to read before falling asleep.
As for access to electricity, I'm surprised solar charging covers aren't getting more common for campers.

Last edited by ApK; 03-15-2013 at 02:54 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #24
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
As for access to electricity, I'm surprised solar charging covers aren't getting more common for campers.
Yeah, that would be great!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #25
peaceridge
Guru

Ok, I'm going to try the Kindle Paperwhite. The local Staples had one and I have 14 days to see if I like it. I plan to keep the light off, if possible to extend the battery life. I did notice some folks have jailbreaked them, so I'll wait til I'm sure it is the right one and try that!

Thanks for everyone's comments. They have been really helpfull.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
In contrast, using a built-in light is going to drain the reader's battery faster and those batteries can't be replaced or recharged in the field.
That's true, BUT the battery drain for current generation of front-lit readers is so minimal that unless you're going on a hardcore 3 week middle of nowhere camp it shouldn't be an issue (especially if you only use the light when it's too dark to read otherwise).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Depends how long you're reading for. If you read for 2 hours a day with the light on a medium brightness setting, you should easily get 2 weeks usage on a single battery charge. There are chargers available for the Kindle which will charge it from AA batteries, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #28
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Ok, I'm going to try the Kindle Paperwhite. The local Staples had one and I have 14 days to see if I like it. I plan to keep the light off, if possible to extend the battery life. I did notice some folks have jailbreaked them, so I'll wait til I'm sure it is the right one and try that!

Thanks for everyone's comments. They have been really helpfull.
Before you go and mess with it ask yourself why you want to do with it & what you hope to do with a jailbroken unit that you can't do with a stock one. Is it worth it if you mess up the device?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #29
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Before you go and mess with it ask yourself why you want to do with it & what you hope to do with a jailbroken unit that you can't do with a stock one. Is it worth it if you mess up the device?
It's going a lot better than expected - almost as easy reading as the Excite! The only thing I'm missing is the Mantano reader app - that would be the only reason to jailbreak it. I am sorry I didn't get the more expensive version that also has 3g - only because it has the xperimental internet on it - but who knows when that might be discontinued.

I'll keep using it a while before I decide whether jailbreaking only for Mantano is worthwhile.