Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Have you tried setting a breakpoint on the string of the error message? (Assuming you get the Wifi is currently disabled thingie). Or on the graphic in case there's no string. Relevant check would probably be just prior to invoking that.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
a3nm
a3nm doesn't littera3nm doesn't littera3nm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
OK, I have a way around this, which involves patching libnickel.so. I am extremely grateful to Glyn from Oxfork Hack Space for taking care of the actual reverse-engineering work while I provided a fair share of unhelpful suggestions and misleading background info.

To patch your Kobo, first install firmware 2.5.2 from here, get a shell running, etc. Then retrieve the file /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0 from your device to your computer (which I assume is running a *nix system). Check that its SHA1 sum is 4c3d7d8cdce4927cbffbde8d3d4c6b7bd35de5c1. Now, install the bsdiff and bspatch tools, download the libnickel.so.diff file, and run bspatch libnickel.so.1.0.0 libnickel.so.1.0.0.patched libnickel.so.diff. Check that the resulting file has SHA1 sum 4c96ac498e31277236645c2d466db7af9b19f7c5. Replace the original libnickel.so.1.0.0 on your device by the patched file. (Of course, keep the original as a backup and restore it in case in turns out this patch has dire unforseen consequences.) Restart your Kobo.

Now, you should be able to open the browser in Settings without being prompted about connecting to a Wifi network, and you should be able to load URLs such as "http://localhost/".

I should insist that this will not work on any different version of libnickel.so, so it will probably fail on the next versions of the firmware. I plan to document this hack a bit more in a blogpost so that adventurous people can try to apply it to different versions.

Edit: the blogpost is online: http://a3nm.net/blog/kobo_glo_hacking.html

Last edited by a3nm; 06-20-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: http://a3nm.net/blog/kobo_glo_hacking.html
a3nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #18
anarres
anarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the rough

Device: none yet
new in kobo world

Tomorrow I'll receive my 2nd hand kobo aura HD. Would be nice to use kiwix on it. Is still possible to use this hack with the recent firmwares? Any improvement in the offline usage of the serial browser?

Thanks

Last edited by anarres; 10-21-2015 at 03:16 PM.
anarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I really doubt this mod would work as is with current f/w levels. Your best bet would be to reach out to one of the patch creators and see if they can rework this to fit in with their patches. Try GeoffR
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, glo, offline, web, wifi