Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

I took the gamble and ordered one. I had to pay Texas sales tax of $8.40, which is more than the maximum allowed under Texas law. Texas law places sales tax at a maximum of 8.25%, so Walgreens slightly overcharged me. No big deal. The total cost with shipping and taxes was $113.38.

FYI: There is a duplicate thread on this at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76233. This thread has much more information though.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-08-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Drag about the sales tax...it's real tempting, the size and color and backlit and formats and price are all calling to me...

But I would really need to sell the 300 if I got it, these little gadgets are getting out of hand!

The two different photos' is interesting.... I wonder which one you get? I would assume(!!!) that you get the one on the engadget site/

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 03-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Battery life is 8 hours. That's respectable.

http://delstar.net/multi-function-de...ok-reader.html
Thanks for that link. I looked everywhere yesterday and never found this one.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Drag about the sales tax...it's real tempting, the size and color and backlit and formats and price are all calling to me...

But I would really need to sell the 300 if I got it, these little gadgets are getting out of hand!

The two different photos' is interesting.... I wonder which one you get? I would assume(!!!) that you get the one on the engadget site/
I think the rule for taxes is if the web store has a brick and mortar store or office in your state you have to pay sales tax. Walgreens is on almost every corner here in north Texas. I think the photo I posted above is probably the 5" model and the other photo is the 7" WinCE model. The latter is supposed to be going on sale too and for appx. $200, but I couldn't find it anywhere. The manual shows the same photo I posted so that is probably what I will get. I actually like the ambidexterous page buttons as I'm a south paw.

Now if it just ships! Sometimes items aren't in stock and don't ship right away, but at least the Walgreens confirmation email stated they would not bill my card until it ships. So if it turns out to be an item that never materializes I will be able to cancel the order.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think the rule for taxes is if the web store has a brick and mortar store or office in your state you have to pay sales tax. Walgreens is on almost every corner here in north Texas. I think the photo I posted above is probably the 5" model and the other photo is the 7" WinCE model. The latter is supposed to be going on sale too and for appx. $200, but I couldn't find it anywhere. The manual shows the same photo I posted so that is probably what I will get. I actually like the ambidexterous page buttons as I'm a south paw.

Now if it just ships! Sometimes items aren't in stock and don't ship right away, but at least the Walgreens confirmation email stated they would not bill my card until it ships. So if it turns out to be an item that never materializes I will be able to cancel the order.
I called Walgreens yesterday. I paid via PayPal and I was charged tax, but not the shipping and I wanted to see what I had to do to corrrect it. Since they do not charge until shipped, the CS rep told me that it will be auto adjusted. Well I hope so. Since I had them on the phone, I asked if the device was in stock, or was my order a pre-order. She told me it was not pre-order and that mine should ship by Tuesday.

I live in Central Texas (right out of Ft Hood) and we have Walgreens everywhere these days. I was also charged the same amount of tax. That sucks.

I have been looking for the 7" reader that Delstar is suppose to have out, but I haven't found it. I am thinking that they will introduce it next month after giving this reader a chance. I wonder if Walgreens will carry it. 5" was suppose to come in a choice of pastel colors. I remember reading that the I shop a lot at Kohls when I get their coupons and they also carry trendy electronics. I hope they start selling it. I could use a deeper discount.

Ellen
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I live in Central Texas (right out of Ft Hood)...

Ellen
Sorry for the off topic, but I know the region well. I graduated from UMH-B in Belton, I grew up in Round Rock and lived in Austin, and most recently I lived in Mills County near Goldthwaite (30 miles north of Lampassas). I wish I still lived in central Texas rather than the great prairie lands of north Texas surrounded by 6 million nearby neighbors!

I'm assuming we should get an email from Walgreens when the device ships. when I do I'll post a statement letting everyone know it shipped.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I thought I saw somewhere, but now (Argh!) I can't find it, that the 7" version not only ran WinCE 6 but also handled DRM'ed ePub books and the 5" does not (as stated in the manual and on the sites). Perhaps that is why the 7" device is not ready yet?

The screenshot looks like just about the kind of device I want as a reader. LCD, color, and the perfect size. I can't wait until Ellen receives her device.

jswinden - I'm going to Round Rock at the end of the month.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
imaredr
Collector

Round Rock is about 30 mins from me.

Ellen
Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #24
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Hehe Texas is just about its own country. I was just in Dallas/Plano on another business trip two weeks ago. Heading to the mothership for a product demo! I've never been to Austin and I hear it is very nice. Looking forward to it.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I grew up in Southern Oklahoma, that's practically Texas.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #26
zapikoe
zapikoe began at the beginning.

Device: Wits A81
Hmm.. this looks like an interesting device.. low cost one
Can anyone give a hint on what processor it might use? Memory/ROM size?
zapikoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #27
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapikoe View Post
Hmm.. this looks like an interesting device.. low cost one
Can anyone give a hint on what processor it might use? Memory/ROM size?
On the first page of this thread Scion gave us this
http://delstar.net/multi-function-de...ok-reader.html link.

Follow it for specs and the manual gives some good info as well....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I took the gamble and ordered one. I had to pay Texas sales tax of $8.40, which is more than the maximum allowed under Texas law. Texas law places sales tax at a maximum of 8.25%, so Walgreens slightly overcharged me. No big deal. The total cost with shipping and taxes was $113.38.

FYI: There is a duplicate thread on this at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76233. This thread has much more information though.
Does Texas Tax Shipping and Handling (as opposed to Postage).
In Calif. S&H is taxable. Exact postage is not taxed. (S&H is the profit center for many firms)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does Texas Tax Shipping and Handling (as opposed to Postage).
In Calif. S&H is taxable. Exact postage is not taxed. (S&H is the profit center for many firms)
No, Texas only taxes the sale amount. It is rather difficult to say what Walgreens did here. The actual State sales tax is 6.25%. The State then allows local taxing authorities (cities, counties) to tack on an additional amount up to 2%. The maximum amount of combined state and local sales tax is thus 8.25%, except for fireworks which have a much higher tax rate. Where I live, the combined state and local sales tax rate is 8.0%. Walgreens charged me 8.4%. Walgreens is located in multiple states, so it is quite possible that they simply have an incorrect database. Perhaps someone entering the rates into the database accidentally converted 8-1/4% to 8.4%. It is no big deal as it amounted to only a $0.40 overcharge. BTW, we have no state income tax in Texas, so they increase the other taxes to compensate for that. So we wind up with higher sales tax, property tax, etc. to make up the difference. I'm glad I don't smoke because tobacco tax on cigarettes is higher than the cigarettes, or so I've heard!

Last edited by jswinden; 03-09-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

A brief update: My CC has been charged for the reader. I still haven't received an email confirmation on shipping though.