Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Today I got the coolest birthday gift!

I was looking and searching for different ebook readers but I dont need to look any longer. Today is my birthday and I was surprised by a iPod Touch, a gift from both my sons. Am so happy. Now looking for cool books. Where do I go? I found and downloaded Stanza. Books on Board is cool with new books, but are those reasonable priced books?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Try eReader at Fictionwise for iPhone, too, so you can choose the best price. Myself, I usually find books cheaper at Fictionwise (besides, with eReader you have a 5% discount), but sometimes they're cheaper at BoB or they appear before. My advice? Look at both sites.

And congrats for your gift (and for your sons )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Click image for larger version

Name:	birds-n-ribbon.gif
Views:	221
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	39588Click image for larger version

Name:	HBD-Heart.gif
Views:	209
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	39589Click image for larger version

Name:	birds-n-ribbon2.gif
Views:	204
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	39590

What a great gift from your sons!!

What format books are you looking for? I don't have any experience with Stanza, but I'm sure a more experience member will jump in with information soon.

Happy Birthday and congratulations again.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
Happy birthday

I read somewhere that books were beginning to be the "applications" the most downloaded in the app store. I may have misunderstood and I don't remember where I read it, but you may want to go check it too...
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Wow! I got an iPod touch about two months ago and I LOVE it! I think I have used it more than my reader and I have no problem reading books on it even with the small screen. Though i buy alot if books from booksonboard, I buy most of mu
my books for the iPod from amazon.

Have fun!!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Definitely price shop. The book is the book at every store, so look for the best price.

Most of my purchases come from either BoB or Amazon.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I wouldn't buy at Fictionwise. They use a proprietary eReader DRM format that won't work with any other modern eBook reader. I bought there once and absolutely regretted it. Better search for DRM-free books until an Adobe ePub reader becomes available for the iPod Touch or buy at the Kindle store. That is proprietary, too, but at least Kindle has some significance in the market.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I was looking and searching for different ebook readers but I dont need to look any longer. Today is my birthday and I was surprised by a iPod Touch, a gift from both my sons. Am so happy. Now looking for cool books. Where do I go? I found and downloaded Stanza. Books on Board is cool with new books, but are those reasonable priced books?
You have several options.

In stall the following free apps:

Barnes & Nobel eReader
Stanza (I think you have it) (I think you are buying from FW on this?)
Kindle

I think your best price option will be eReader / Kindle. Also, if you go with one of those two you will be able to d/l the PC version and also read the books there... if you ever want to. I know I never read [fiction] books on my PC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I wouldn't buy at Fictionwise. They use a proprietary eReader DRM format that won't work with any other modern eBook reader.
Except of course the Nook and soon the iRex DR800. Yes, both not shipping yet, but will be by the end of the year.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
My advice is to download the Kindle application to your iTouch. I have over 100 free ebooks currently on my Kindle that I can also download to my iTouch. These are books that are recent and not the old classics. A good place to keep up with all the free Amazon Kindle books is over on Kindleboards.com listed in the Book Bazaar threads. So many books are out there free. As for buying your books, I am convinced that the Kindle Store has the best selection at the best prices.
Good luck.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Very wonderful gift from your sons!

I have the iPhone and i'm also loving every single bit of it. I agree with luvshihtzu. Download the Kindle app. lots of books there.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Happy Birthday & congratulations to the great gift. I am sure you are proud that you have raised smart boys
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I wouldn't buy at Fictionwise. They use a proprietary eReader DRM format that won't work with any other modern eBook reader. I bought there once and absolutely regretted it. Better search for DRM-free books until an Adobe ePub reader becomes available for the iPod Touch or buy at the Kindle store. That is proprietary, too, but at least Kindle has some significance in the market.
Stripping the DRM from an eReader .pdb file is a fairly trivial process. But even without stripping the DRM, the iPhone/iPod Touch eReader application is robust and a pleasure to read with and is nicely integrated with the eReader and Fictionwise websites.

Fictionwise also has a nice "Micropay Rebate" feature where they credit you back anywhere from 5% to 100% of the purchase price of the book as an in-store credit. I've been a satisfied Fictionwise customer for many years and have had little to no trouble finding reader software that would run on my platform of choice.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #14
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Happy Birthday & congratulations to the great gift. I am sure you are proud that you have raised smart boys
No kidding!
I was looking for a Sony Ereader, but am sooooo happy with the iPod. If it turns out I will read a lot of ebooks, later I can get a dedicated ebook reader device. Good to try it out with the iPod!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote