Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-18-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
HandEra tosses in the towel...

Yesterday HandEra announced that they would not release anymore PalmOS PDAs, and were, in fact, selling their license to use PalmOS.

An innovative PDA at the time, the HandEra 330 turned a lot of heads, but never released a companion model with a color screen...which IMHO, would have been successful (especially if they had released one when first rumored over a year ago).

The 330 was my first major PDA, and I loved the big screen, virtual graffiti, dual-expansion cards, and LOUD alarm (damn thing could wake the dead...). But i've since moved on to a Clie and currently have my 330 on eBay (had this announcement come out earlier, I might have kept it...there may be a scramble for 330s over the next few months). Oh well...

So what's next, HandSpring? Pretty soon it will be only Palm and Sony as the main Palm-based players, and I wouldn't be suprised if after the dust cleared only Sony was left standing.

HandEra's Announcement

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:05 AM   #2
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I, having once been a 330 owner, and currently helping to maintain one for my girlfriend, really dislike seeing this announcement. However, HandEra's influence will remain in the innovation that they brought to market, and the trends they started. They brought the 330 to market with soft Graffiti and dual expansion slots, which seemed to pique users' interest in both.
What is even more disturbing than this announcement, though, is that they are getting out of the Palm OS business, not the handheld computing business entirely. I have heard it rumored that they are in the process of working on a PPC.
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Damn shame really. I had bought a memory upgrade from them when they were TRG.

I wish them good luck.
brahamt is offline   Reply With Quote