Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
Li Po
Li Po began at the beginning.

Device: KIndle
Question about using mobipocket dictionary on Kindle

Hi everyone:
I'm new here, I'm waiting for my Kindle. Once it arrives, I intend to load a French-English dictionary on it. I know there is Igor's hack allow one to do that. I'm curious to know if anyone have tried using a mobipocket dictionary on Kindle.
Thanks
Li Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If you buy it at Fictionwise or BooksonBoard, it should work. A dictionary created with Mobipocket Creator does indeed work with the Kindle. I don't know about the DRM, though. If your dictionary was created as a dictionary and has no DRM then it will work fine.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Li Po

Thank you for the answer. Is there a difference if I buy a mobipocket file from booksonboard.com or from mobipocket.com?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There is a peculiarity in the device ID of the Kindle that separates it from Mobipocket ebook readers. Kindle device IDs have a * at a certain point, and Mobipocket device IDs have a $ at the same point.

Mobipocket's own DRM servers will not accept that * in the device ID. But, there is a second set of DRM servers for the Mobipocket format that are run by a company called OverDrive (OD). These servers will let you enter the *, and Fictionwise uses the OD servers as well as the Mobipocket ones.

Plus, Fictionwise is cheaper.

P.S. On another note, most if not all public libraries that have Mobipocket format ebooks use the OD servers to support them. You should be able to check ebooks out of the library and put them on your Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Li Po

Thank you Nate the great. That is very informative for me. For that dictionary, I wrote to the publisher and they say they will release it for Kindle in a few weeks. I plan to just wait a little since they are saying their Kindle version needs a little more work. Thank you again.
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
jamckenna
jamckenna began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Li Po,

Did you ever get a good fr-eng dictionary for your Kindle? I bought a Cambridge Klett from Mobipocket and then found it was DRM protected. The only other one I found was a very simple one called "DDP World Team" from worldlibrary.net which you can only use with the search function. I would think good language dictionaries would be a good selling point for Kindle so I don't know why they're not provided yet. Have you had any luck?
jamckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
One note on Mobipocket dictionaries.

If you do end up buying a dictionary from a source, whos DRM does not work on the kindle, you can always strip the DRM using the DeDRM script (Google is your friend).

The Legality of this is a grey area, but personally I feel that what you do to a file you bought for personal use is your own business.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
If you do end up buying a dictionary from a source, whos DRM does not work on the kindle, you can always strip the DRM using the DeDRM script
Perhaps, but I suspect that one reason that more dictionaries are not available on the Kindle is that some of them use features of the MOBI format that are not implemented on the Kindle. This isn't usually an issue for search, but may be an issue for browsing the dictionary. Also, you can only have one "primary" dictionary on the Kindle and publishers may be waiting for the Kindle's software to be updated for multi-dictionary support before releasing dictionaries for the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Perhaps, but I suspect that one reason that more dictionaries are not available on the Kindle is that some of them use features of the MOBI format that are not implemented on the Kindle. This isn't usually an issue for search, but may be an issue for browsing the dictionary. Also, you can only have one "primary" dictionary on the Kindle and publishers may be waiting for the Kindle's software to be updated for multi-dictionary support before releasing dictionaries for the Kindle.
If I remember from one of the other threads, you can replace the built in dictionary with another mobipocket dictionary without any problems for look up at least, so I figure that that works at least.

And Yes While it does currently only support one dictionary right now, someone may prefer to use one of the more comprehensive dictionaries until Amazon gets off their duff and enables multi dictionary support.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
bripam
bripam began at the beginning.

Well, you can definitely select a new default dictionary for the kindle.
The file I have is ".prc" and it can be selected as the default dictionary ... I read somewhere that the file needs to be on the internal device memory to work correctly.
see the following post for more info.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12000

But what I really want is a French-English dictionary. Why is this sooooo hard?

--- later ---
OK ...
I downloaded the "free sample" (it has only the "A" from the dictionary) from
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=68810
I CAN PICK IT FOR THE DICTIONARY!

I think I will buy the entire book ... it seems to work!

-- still later --
Well ...
That didn't work .... seems the "mobipocket" software does not support the kindle for the DRM'd content.

Seems wrong that I can only see the content that I don't pay for, and after paying I can't use it.

I even tried getting the kindle "PID" and using that while re-downloading the books, etc, etc ... again ...

why is this soooooooo hard?

Last edited by bripam; 09-05-2008 at 11:53 PM.
bripam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
jamckenna

The demos on mobipocket.com work fine on Kindle but the purchased books do not. If you complain on their forum they seem to be good about providing a refund. Their forums suggest new Kindle owners often purchase their unworkable DRM protected books, so if Kindle and mobipocket are not willing to lift the restriction they should at least give notice prior to purchase.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
jamckenna

On the issue of fr-eng and other foreign language dictionaires be sure to complain to kindle-feedback@amazon.com. Also, on all their paper and hardback dictionary pages there is a button to press to indicate you want to have it available for Kindle.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bripam View Post
seems the "mobipocket" software does not support the kindle for the DRM'd content
With standard Secure MOBI ebooks, mobidedrm can be used to strip the DRM and the resulting DRM-free MOBI works on the Kindle - but I'm not sure if mobidrdrm works on dictionaries.

Otherwise, you can probably get a refund - particularly if you explain that you tried the demo on the Kindle and it worked.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
With standard Secure MOBI ebooks, mobidedrm can be used to strip the DRM and the resulting DRM-free MOBI works on the Kindle - but I'm not sure if mobidrdrm works on dictionaries.

Well, I've run it on the Chambers dictionary, and the DeDRMd version is working fine on my Cybook Gen3, so the process does work.

It did take a couple of tries, as it was first time I was using those scripts, but onece you get the hang of it, its not difficult.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
bripam
bripam began at the beginning.

I am not sure of the legality of the mobidedrm, but if the sample works as a dictionary, then after removing the DRM, it will still work as a dictionary.

[rant]
What I don't get is why I need to remove the DRM to use the file that I purchased ... doesn't that remove any potential benefit from the DRMing and just make the end user irritated? How can this go on so long and not get fixed ... I've been trying to get a dictionary for months and I have no alternative other than to mess with the file in order to get it on my hardware. That sucks.
[/rant]
bripam is offline   Reply With Quote