Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Reader Store 3G File Download Limits with 900 & 950?

I encountered an interesting message while attempting to purchase a book from the Sony Reader Store over 3G. When I tried to add the book to my shopping cart, I got the error message: "Item Cannot Be Downloaded. You cannot download this book via wireless connection. Please use Reader Library on your computer". I looked at the book info and discovered it was over 40MB in size. Must've had a lot of pictures! Apparently you are unable to download large files over 3G wireless from the Reader Store? I picked a few books to try guessing the cutoff limit was probably around 10MB. A book of 9.65MB also would not add to my cart but 7.25MB would. I ultimately picked a smaller book to purchase, and it downloaded just fine.

I then connected to the Reader Store via Wi-Fi. I was able to add all the above books to my cart regardless of size. I decided to purchase the 9.65MB book, and it took approximately 1 min to download via Wi-Fi. I then decided to test my 900 which has a 3G connection only. Once again, I got the same download warning on my 900 too.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this message? Does anyone know what the file limit might be? I searched the User Guide and Sony website and couldn't find any mention of wireless download restrictions.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I'll look through my account purchase history and see if I have any books that are 10+ Mb's in size and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Of course I'll be sure to test the downloads using 3G exclusively.

Update: So the largest book that I've ever downloaded from their store was 11,513 Kb. It successfully downloaded using 3G. Though I should say that I was dropped from the cellular network and had to use the physical switch to toggle 3G on and off again before I had a stable connection.

Last edited by Abisha; 11-11-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
I'll look through my account purchase history and see if I have any books that are 10+ Mb's in size and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Of course I'll be sure to test the downloads using 3G exclusively.

Update: So the largest book that I've ever downloaded from their store was 11,513 Kb. It successfully downloaded using 3G. Though I should say that I was dropped from the cellular network and had to use the physical switch to toggle 3G on and off again before I had a stable connection.
Thanks for checking, Abisha! Is that the file size from your computer or the file size shown on the store book info page? Sometimes I find they don't match. I just tried again, and I still get the same message. I also get the same message on both my 900 & 950 so it isn't an issue specific to a single ereader. I can't find any settings in my account that sets limits either. The only account variable seems to turn Buy Now on and off and that didn't make a difference. Very weird!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Another interesting observation. I decided to see if maybe the 3G issue was specific to purchasing new books and perhaps I could re-download a large book I had previously purchased. When you go to "My Purchased Content" within your account page in the Reader Store, you can view your purchased books and there is a button that says "Download Now". Browsing through my list of books, I noticed that there are a few that say "Not Downloadable". They are all large size books. When I click on the "Not Downloadable", I get that same message to use my computer instead. When I switch over to Wi-Fi and look at my purchased content in my account, they all say "Download Now" with no problems.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I don't know the limits, but I can confirm the same experiences that you have shared. I was surprised, as I have not read anything about their existence. The message appeared on both my 900 and 950 as well.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
I don't know the limits, but I can confirm the same experiences that you have shared. I was surprised, as I have not read anything about their existence. The message appeared on both my 900 and 950 as well.
Thanks, Ken401. Glad to know it is not just me. Is it something you noticed awhile ago or only recently? I never really used the Reader Store much on my 900 so I was wondering if it was always there. Now with agency pricing and fewer discounts around, I might start using the store more on my 950. Most of the time I have Wi-Fi available so it's not an issue. Still, I was surprised to encounter the message!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I haven't purchased many books on my 900 through 3G, but I ran into this message only recently. It could have been there all along, but it makes me wonder.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Seems similar to itunes over 3g, you are limited to the size of content that can be downloaded.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Seems similar to itunes over 3g, you are limited to the size of content that can be downloaded.
I was not aware of the iTunes limit either. Did a quick google search. Apparently the iTunes limit is 20MB. I guess it makes sense since network traffic is probably greater and the size of content is probably greater too. Most books aren't that large.

I just read through the Reader Store terms of service and didn't see anything about limits.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I contacted Sony support via email. Surprisingly they responded within 2 hours. To quote the response: "The reader has a limit of up to 7MB when downloading books using the 3G connection." I was able to add a book to my cart that was 7.25MB oddly. I guess use 7MB has a cutoff guide. Very interesting and unexpected! I would've assumed I could buy any book any time over 3G from the Reader Store.