Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Simon John Cox
Humble fabulist
Simon John Cox began at the beginning.

Device: None
My fiction...formatting thoughts and tips...?

Hi everyone

I've just set up a website so that people can actually read some of the things that I've written, but I don't have an eBook reader so I'm not 100% sure that I've set the files up so that they are actually legible on a reader...so I'd be really grateful if some of you could have a look at one of my short stories and let me know whether they come out OK on whichever readers you have.

They're available here (my novel, Another Man's Poison, is a pay download but the short stories are free).

Also - and I don't know if this is covered elsewhere on the website, as I'm still new so I don't really know my way around - I've made them available as PDF and LIT, and also to read online, but I don't know if these files can be read by all readers - and obviously I want them to be available for as many different readers as possible. So any observations on what formats to go for would be massively helpful as well.

Thanks in advance...I look forward to your comments / tips!

Simon
Simon John Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
If you put up an Epub version and a Mobi version, you cover most of the readers available these days.

Welcome to MobileRead!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Epub versions can be created with Calibre (ebook management software) or Sigil (both available here and Open Source). If you're offering works for free, Feedbooks.com is a good way to go and it will automatically format everything for each reader type. Smashwords.com can also be used and allows a pricing scheme to be put in place for your work if you are charging.

Good luck and Welcome to MR.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Simon John Cox
Humble fabulist

Epub...Mobi...Calibre...Sigil...Feedbooks...Smashw ords...got it. Thanks! Food for thought there, certainly.

I've just had a look at Smashwords...I like the idea that it automatically formats a .doc file into all the other formats. That's good for a techno-illiterate like me. I'll have a play around on there...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Simon John Cox
Humble fabulist

This advice was great - two of my short stories and my full novel are now uploaded onto Smashwords and available in multiple formats (here, here and here in case anyone is interested*).

Thanks for the advice!

*It's not spam - I'm just excited.
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Don't worry about 'spam' - this forum is specifically for writers to let us know where their works are available, and what they're currently writing.

So welcome to the Writers' Corner!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote