Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #31
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
Just goes to show that I don't know a good thing when I see it!

To me, the feature would more useful if it appended a blank page. It now appends a copy of the previous page 1) and the annotation made on that page. Adding a new page from the menu does the same thing. I see that I can delete the accidentally created page, so the feature is reversible. The annotating a PDF function in Xournal has made reviewing manuscripts and grading student papers much easier than using the native annotation features. 2) The merge function of the companion software does not work on my desktop.

3) ?: Is it possible to run multiple instances of Xournal to work on associated documents simultaneously?

td
I marked 3 parts in your comment.
1) Is it also copying the annotations, I do not think that is supposed to happen. I will look into the code.
2) I am working on a way to merge the annotations of the native pdf viewer with xournal (i.e. loading a pdf and importing the scribbles form the metadata.db into xournal), but progress is slow due to limited time.
3) This is also on my wish list (being able to edit multiple documents with one instance of xournal) I did not have time yet to look at it. I can ask the original author of xournal, to see if he has any plans.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #32
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Xournal Patch V7

I added some extra (experimental) functionality to Xournal and updated the zip-files in the first message of this message thread.

The new version adds the import of annotations that are made by the iRex application. I added this because several people have reported that they have problems merging annotations with the original pdf (due to several reasons: No windows PC available, too many annotations, ...); the merged annotations do look ugly; and because I just was curious on how annotations work.

I added two menus in the File-menu:
- Import Annotations: you need to select a pdf-file that you have annotated with the native iRex application. The annotations will be imported and translated to xournal scribbles. These can then be 'merged' by chosing 'Export to PDF'.
- Merge Annotations: I noticed that the file of cmhsieh54 caused some problems with displaying the ~12000 strokes of this file. So I created a menu item that imports the annotations and exports them immediately, avoiding the display problems. You first need to select the file with the annotations you want to import. After the import you need to select the name of the pdf-file to which the original pdf with the annotations will be saved. Normally you should not need this menu item.

Both functions are experimental, so please give me your feedback.

Marcel.
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #33
jbui
jbui began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
V7

After upgrading to V7, from version 6a, to my surprise I found that there was a writing delay in both experimental and normal mode. I downgraded to version 6a and everything was normal again. Please check.
jbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #34
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Thanks for all these improvements you are providing us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
- Import Annotations: you need to select a pdf-file that you have annotated with the native iRex application. The annotations will be imported and translated to xournal scribbles. These can then be 'merged' by chosing 'Export to PDF'.
Have you thought about providing a (linux) command line tool (to be used on a PC, not on the irex) to convert metadata files to the xournal format?

It seems to me that you have already written all the necessary code to provide such a command line tool, and this command line tool would be really useful.
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #35
Mackx
Guru

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbui View Post
After upgrading to V7, from version 6a, to my surprise I found that there was a writing delay in both experimental and normal mode. I downgraded to version 6a and everything was normal again. Please check.
jbui is right, I must have messed up something! I will check at home this evening.

Sorry
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #36
Mackx
Guru

BUGFIX for V7

I just updated the first mail with version V7b, that patches the problem in the V7 version.

For V7 I merged in some updates from the original xournal version, but these interferred with the code that tries to prevent scribbles and full-screen updates at the same time (which should limit hang-ups), resulting in 'fast-scribbles' being disabled always. This is now patched in the V7b version.

I was a little too fast in sending an update to the forum.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #37
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
Have you thought about providing a (linux) command line tool (to be used on a PC, not on the irex) to convert metadata files to the xournal format?

It seems to me that you have already written all the necessary code to provide such a command line tool, and this command line tool would be really useful.
I have thought about that. At this moment I am using libermetadb.a, that is provided by iRex for the DR, to read the annotations from the sqlite-database (metadata.db). Furthermore I add the annotations first to the Xournal data structures as scribbles and then use the available xournal code to create a new pdf file with the annotations/scribbles appended to it. Ofcourse all can be made into a stand-alone application, but that will take some work. Currently it is not on my 'priority' list. Ofcourse I am willing to share any info if someone else wants to have a go with it! (The zooming part is tricky, the rest can be found if looking deep into the messages of the MobileRead forum, where I found it.)
Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
I tried the merge function with a 4-page file and it worked fine. The scribbles look much better than the merge produced with the companion software (I had have to merge with different computer than my desktop).

Nice work.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #39
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
V7b, great!

Dear Mackx, dear all,

Thank you for such significant participation to XOURNAL.

Import Annotations translate the iRex annotations to xournal scribbles, that is great. The annotations can be review, edited in xournal, but as I noticed (sorry if I am wrong) this feature is available only after saving the file to xoj format and reopen it. At the first conversion procedure editing translated scribbles is not able, but it works fine at reopening the file. Anyhow even using this procedure this feature is very useful.

Thanks,
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #40
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Thanks for this update, once again this is getting more and more useful.

Could the import of scribbles be reversed easily i.e. xournal scribbles to irex? This would allow conversion to text via MyScript and replace the standard writepads which are pretty inadequate at the moment.
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #41
Mackx
Guru

Hi td,

You wrote:
Quote:
It now appends a copy of the previous page and the annotation made on that page. Adding a new page from the menu does the same thing.
I am trying to reproduce this, but it only copies the pdf-data of the page, not the annotations made with xournal. Can you explain which actions you do to get this behaviour?

Quote:
To me, the feature would more useful if it appended a blank page.
Adding this does not seem to be that difficult, let me see if I can get it into a next version. I can add an 'Insert Blank' check box menu item in the Journal menu. So you have a choice.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #42
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbarthedog View Post
Could the import of scribbles be reversed easily i.e. xournal scribbles to irex? This would allow conversion to text via MyScript and replace the standard writepads which are pretty inadequate at the moment.
Hi cubarthedog,

If I understand correctly, you want to export the annotations/scribbles that are made with xournal to a metadata.db file and the rest/background to a pdf. So it can be further processed with the companion software and the MyScript-addon on your PC?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #43
curbarthedog
Enthusiast

Hi Mackx,

Basically, yes.

Not really bothered about the companion software, the only real benefit to me is to be able to use MyScript Notes. I guess it does not even have to be in an irex format, just one that works with MyScript.

With this as an addition to Xournal, the companion software effectively becomes redundant.

Possible?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #44
Mackx
Guru

Hi curbarthedog,

Can you enable your option to send private messages, so we can discuss details? Or send an email address as a private message to me?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #45
curbarthedog
Enthusiast

No probs, I think I have enabled this.