Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Let's Buy Kovid Goyal an Amazon Kindle

Let's raise the funds to buy Kovid a Kindle.

For those of you who are new, or don't have a Sony Reader, earlier this year Kovid wrote a set of converters that outputted LRF for the Sony Reader. The converters are very good, and they gave Reader owners a vastly improved reading experience. The converter accept the following input:

LIT (MSReader)
RTF
HTML
TXT
PDF
web (This will download a given webpage and convert it.)

If we buy him a Kindle, he will add Mobipocket PRC as an output. This will benefit both Kindle and Cybook owners. Admittedly, the Cybook can already see most of those formats, but I still think you will benefit from these conversion tools.

I will be using ChipIn.com to gather the funds. Click on the link.

http://buyakindle.chipin.com/buy-kovid-goyal-a-kindle
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't really need Kindle to produce and test Mobi files
BTW Kovid, let me know if you need any help with the format... I know quite a bit about it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I really need the kindle to add it as a supported device for USB syncing to libprs500, and to provide me with some motivation to get the PRC converter built.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I chipped in! If I could get Kindle support on libprs500 to build mobibook files as well as it built .lrf files, that would rock!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm planning on writing html2prc and it should have near feature parity with html2lrf
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm planning on writing html2prc and it should have near feature parity with html2lrf
I love you in the most hetrosexual way a man can love another man.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, In... I doubled what was there. I did this not cause I even have a Kindle, but to support your current and future work supporting the Sony reader!

BOB
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks, not too worry I'm not decamping to the Kindle camp ;-)
Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have canceled the ChipIn. An explanation will be forthcomng.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I had an interesting conversation with one of the moderators. He is of the opinion that this was panhandling. It took me a while, but I eventually decided he was correct, and that I am not comfortable doing it. The event is canceled. The money has been refunded.

If anyone wants to give Kovid money, check out his homepage. He has a link for Paypal.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I had an interesting conversation with one of the moderators. He is of the opinion that this was panhandling. It took me a while, but I eventually decided he was correct, and that I am not comfortable doing it. The event is canceled. The money has been refunded.

If anyone wants to give Kovid money, check out his homepage. He has a link for Paypal.
I disagree. Perhaps if it was Kovid himself that set up the chip-in. I thought it was a great idea.

Whatever...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I disagree. Perhaps if it was Kovid himself that set up the chip-in. I thought it was a great idea.

Whatever...

BOb
No, I set it up. If he wants to set up his own, fine. If you want to give him money directly, okay. I do not want to panhandle.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I won't disagree with the decision but I guess I'm a little surprised. It seemed to me that asking those who are interested to make donations to buy him a device so that he could then spend a lot of his own time producing something for everyone to use was a practical idea. I was rather impressed that you guys did this before (e.g., 505). Panhandling is asking for money for little or no work. I don't care myself as I'm not buying a Kindle anytime soon. But I am surprised.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I won't disagree with the decision but I guess I'm a little surprised. It seemed to me that asking those who are interested to make donations to buy him a device so that he could then spend a lot of his own time producing something for everyone to use was a practical idea...
I agree, basically he is doing something for the community for free and this was just getting him a tool to do it better. But I'll just donate to him personally on his page for all of the hard work he has done for us...
Old 11-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
I would rather donate (again, even though I do not yet own a reader) to enable SF Chronicle support for the Sony PRS 505.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote