Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Question Light, Fun & Free

I'm currently reading The Little Women Trilogy by Louisa May Alcott. Its been slow going, and I want to take a break by reading something else, but, I've never really read more than one book at a time (outside of school work many moons ago). I'd like some suggestions that are light, fun & free for my first "in the meantime" read, please.

My favorite genre is Fantasy, followed by Science Fiction, but I'd be willing to try something new.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The Baen Free Library has some nice light reads. They might not all be to your taste, but certainly the price will be right.

My favourites of the ones I've tried are:

Rick Cook's Wizard's Bane and The Wizardry Compiled: programmers get kidnapped to a world where "computer wizard" isn't just a phrase. Openly a comedy series, though of the fish-out-of-water light adventure type rather than the more parodic funny-books sort.

Lois McMaster Bujold's The Warrior's Apprentice. Some serious moments, but mainly a fast-paced, fun, well-written action-adventure tale that's fairly light and breezy, especially compared to the rest of the Vorkosigan series.

Mercedes Lackey's The Lark and the Wren, a mostly light-hearted coming-of-age story about a girl with a strong musical gift who's unappreciated in her home village. A bit of tragedy to go with the triumph, but overall it's an easy read with a touch of humour. Warning for occasional teen angstiness, although compared to some of Lackey's other protagonists, this one doesn't whine so much.

Holly Lisle's Sympathy for the Devil: an impulsive prayer releases demons from Hell into North Carolina so that the damned souls in their charge get a chance at being reformed and saved. Very spoofy and only middling quality at best, but some fun moments if you think it might be your thing.

Actually, Lisle's other Free Library book, Fire in the Mist, is much better, but may not suit your criteria, since there's a war going on inside it. But aside from that, it actually is a fairly fun light read, and the heroine has a refreshing sense of the absurdity of her situation.

For the same reason, Rosemary Edghill's The Warslayer may or may not suit, since it might be considered a bit of a downer in places. But it's got a Xena-spoof actress kidnapped to another world to save it for the folks who think she really is her character, and a fake episode guide for the fake show in the back, so what's not to love?

Also, a Tor.com short story available in downloadable e-reader friendly format: Charles Stross' Overtime, part of his Laundry series, which will make you look with new and horrified understanding at those collectible Santa Cthulhu plushies that Toy Vault used to make.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sweet! I downloaded the Wizardry books. Hubby has the The Warrior's Apprentice on a Baen CD, and I downloaded The Lark and the Wren.
Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Try Christopher Moore. I just read Practical Demonkeeping and it was a lot of fun.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Christoper Moore is fun.

You might also like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovitch. Any of the Diskworld novels by Terry Pratchett is a fun, light read.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict

Moore sounds/looks familiar. Will have to ask Hubby if he's read his stuff before.

Evanovich is brand new (to me), though. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

So, this thread led to my purchasing & reading Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore, which I enjoyed so much that I put Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove on my Wish List.

I've read a few things since then, and will now give Rick Cook's Wizard's Bane and The Wizardry Compiled

I'm bumping the thread not only as a follow up, but also as an additional thank you, and a reminder.

Happy Reading, Everyone!

*Heh, I see at 3 months this thread is now considered "old". At what point did it officially age?