Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
lolcat
lolcat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ssh/telnet access over 3G?

Hi all,

Just got my new kindle 3 and installed jb/usbnet hack. ssh connection to kindle (root shell), ssh connection from kindle over wifi, and luigi's kiterm (http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/kindle/) work fine. The question is has anybody managed to use 3G for sshing to a remote host?

Background: One of the exciting features of the kindle in my view was that one could browse the internet over 3G almost anywhere. Well, in Germany, in turned out not to be the case - its only possible to access amazon + wikipedia.com from the browser (man, even in Poland you can use 3G!!!1). This information is not clearly stated on the website, m'okay? Isnt it that this limitation is implemented in the kindle settings (liek /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy) and it would in principle be possible if not to use the browser but at least to send some few bytes of text over ssh?

Kthx
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcat View Post
The question is has anybody managed to use 3G for sshing to a remote host?
It only lets web out as the Whispernet firewall blocks everything and you must go via the Amazon proxy servers.

Quote:
This information is not clearly stated on the website, m'okay?
No. Its on here. Click "View country specific information" and then scroll down to the "Important Product Information for Your Country" section where it says "Access Wikipedia via Whispernet on the experimental web browser. Access other websites like Google via a Wi-Fi connection."

Quote:
Isnt it that this limitation is implemented in the kindle settings (liek /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy) and it would in principle be possible if not to use the browser but at least to send some few bytes of text over ssh?
No. Its done by the Whispernet servers as its depends on your Amazon account.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
lolcat

ok, thanks for the enlightment, tiersten. Sounds as if this is something that will be changed in the future, no?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
ok, thanks for the enlightment, tiersten. Sounds as if this is something that will be changed in the future, no?
Full internet access is being rolled out as Amazon does deals with local telecoms operators. Eg, it used to be restricted in the UK in the same way that it now is in Germany, but we now have unrestricted internet access. Interestingly, a UK Kindle has unrestricted internet access even in Germany, when a "local" Kindle, registered in Germany, does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
I don't see them letting non web traffic through any time soon but as HarryT said, they may change it so you have unrestricted web at some later point. It is very strange that its based on your account country and not where are currently are though.
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
lolcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Full internet access is being rolled out as Amazon does deals with local telecoms operators. Eg, it used to be restricted in the UK in the same way that it now is in Germany, but we now have unrestricted internet access. Interestingly, a UK Kindle has unrestricted internet access even in Germany, when a "local" Kindle, registered in Germany, does not.
Interesting, I got an impression that the model is the same (B00A). But I guess its not as easy as just registering the kindle to the UK account.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Interesting, I got an impression that the model is the same (B00A). But I guess its not as easy as just registering the kindle to the UK account.
They are the same. Its done by what country is set on your account. If I gave you my UK purchased unrestricted Kindle and you reregistered it to your Germany Amazon account then you'd find it would block your web access as well.

Last edited by Tiersten; 02-19-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
lolcat

I am just not saying anything, man... THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!111OENONEONEELEVEN
I cant use ssh in luigi's terminal (hangs), but anyways, I did setup shellinabox on a server at work so I will be able to connect to it from anywhere and then ssh to other places. Nice Thanks for the hint, feels good man
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
It should not surprise you. Telecoms charge extremely high data prices when roaming abroad even between EU countries and even within the same network (Vodaphone etc). Apparently even Amazon is not able to negotiate lower rates so they are severely restricting the use outside the country of registration. I mentioned this in this thread and yet some still believe that hiding the costs is a good thing.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
Apparently even Amazon is not able to negotiate lower rates so they are severely restricting the use outside the country of registration.
They don't have a deal with the carrier in every country which is why some countries don't get unrestricted web but they do have some deals in specific countries.

The B00A Kindle is always roaming if you're not in the UK as the SIM from Vodafone UK. The B006 Kindle with the AT&T SIM is always roaming if you're not in the US.

You can check by looking at the 611 page and then finding the IMSI for the SIM. The first 3 digits is the MCC which signifies the country and the next few digits are the MNC which signifies the network. Vodafone UK is 234 15 and AT&T is 310 41. The NETWORK section will show you what network it is currently on and if it doesn't match the MCC + MNC from the SIM then you're roaming.

Last edited by Tiersten; 02-20-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
_kindle
_kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
So for a kindle registered in the UK, will there be roaming costs in other european countries?
_kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
ikar
ikar began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have us b006 ver. I live in Poland and here both version 3G kindle are working without any additional fees . Full web browsing is available.
ikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I don't see them letting non web traffic through any time soon but as HarryT said, they may change it so you have unrestricted web at some later point.
For those who have full web-access on their Kindle and a web-server somewhere on the net, a HTTP(S)->SSH gateway (or a generic TCP/IP proxy over HTTP(S)) can be set up and used with an appropriate client, e.g:

http://dag.wieers.com/howto/ssh-http-tunneling/

Whether this will be allowed through Amazon's proxy servers, is another matter. It might also be too much hazzle...

bob_tm
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3g network, europe, kindle, root shell, ssh