Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #151
zacherry
zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Big dream:
Someday the accounting department of Amazon will total up how many millions of dollars they have spent, and are spending, to frustrate a few people who are only investing big junks of their "hobby time" to keep the Kindle an "open platform".
Just a quick note on this before I go to work: I chatted Amazon about Kindle's locking fonts specifically the other day, you know, to raise awareness of the desire for such functionality. I relayed to the person on the other end that I wanted to install OpenDyslexic because it actually allows me to use the device more easily. I also made the case that the Kindle team implemented these lock-down measures at, presumably, great time and effort and therefore cost. The person on the other end was very sympathetic and told me s/he would personally follow up with my case. This was 3 or 4 days ago.

I think chatting Amazon about our dissatisfaction over their decision to lock down the device is the best thing we can do on the front lines while people like you, knc1, are providing alternatives and direction.

Thanks again!
zacherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #152
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Thank you.

A good suggestion. Something worth doing.

These e-book readers fall right into the niche between large smart phones and small tablets.
There is a place in the consumer marketplace for this size of device.

We can hope for a change in Amazon corporate policy. Getting them to add up the cost of trying to keep the Kindle "Closed" may help their decision making.

Or our finding a manufacturer of a reasonable alternative at a reasonable price who thinks differently about building an 'Open Device' for the general public.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #153
zacherry
zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.

I really wanted this to be it. Now it looks like vaporware:

http://noteslate.org/

Sorry, I'll be in and out all day whilst lurking at work.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #154
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacherry View Post
I really wanted this to be it. Now it looks like vaporware:

http://noteslate.org/

Sorry, I'll be in and out all day whilst lurking at work.
Will add that to the list of things to look for.
'cause you know they where not building the hardware themselves.
There is some factory in the world with those things on-hand.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #155
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thank you.

A good suggestion. Something worth doing.

These e-book readers fall right into the niche between large smart phones and small tablets.
There is a place in the consumer marketplace for this size of device.

We can hope for a change in Amazon corporate policy. Getting them to add up the cost of trying to keep the Kindle "Closed" may help their decision making.

Or our finding a manufacturer of a reasonable alternative at a reasonable price who thinks differently about building an 'Open Device' for the general public.
There is and it's Kobo. No need to jailbreak it, to create a custom update package you just need to make an archive called KoboRoot.tgz, and it will install on the device.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #156
zacherry

Check these out:

http://www.noteslate.com/website_2.0/ (how do we find the manufacturer of this and take it to crowd sourcing to get it made?)

and

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/13/s...lshare_twitter (looks like they might actually produce something)

I think this would be awesome to read on. Awesome annotation capabilities. There are at least 18,000 frustrated Facebook people in addition to twitter and lurkers. I would drop my PW2 for that in a heartbeat.

For me the kobos are unimpressive and pretty unknown.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #157
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacherry View Post
http://www.noteslate.com/website_2.0/ (how do we find the manufacturer of this and take it to crowd sourcing to get it made?)
Having one built is too expensive, pick one already in production.

10 inch, e-ink, capacitive touch screen, dual core ARM Cortex-A9, etc.
you could draw on this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/11...re_Cortex.html

You do not have to be a member of that listing service, just use the search (or advanced search) to find something closest to what you want.

For an example, search for: e-ink tablet

Do not be intimidated by the number of results - use advanced search to trim the list.
There are over 5,000 tablet manufacturers in that trade-free province of China.
And they all make more than one model (some, a whole lot more than one).

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #158
ebina1
ebina1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW 2013
So I see last month people can take apart their PW 2013 and solder on to the serial port to jailbreak it. I have a new PW and really want my screensaver pictures on it badly enough that I am glad to take it apart. So once I have the serial port soldered on and connected to my PC, then what do I do? No one I saw in this thread described to me what software I then need to run to jailbreak the device and get the screensaver hack installed.
ebina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #159
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
you need a terminal.
you dont say what TYPE of PC. linux? Mac? Windows?

If this the first time you ever did anything by a serial port?
(I am guessing yes by your question)

There is a repo of "tested as working PW2 apps" somewheres...

More info please.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #160
knc1
Going Viral

Try filtering the thread index on the prefix: PW2

This chore will require a fair amount of guidance, so look up the "how to use our IRC (chat)" server sticky at the top.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #161
ebina1

I have both Linux (Fedora and Ubuntu) and Windows machines. Yep, never used a serial port before. I have the TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE cable. What software do I need. I've got my PW taken apart and hope to solder on the wires tonight. The pictures in this thread show where to solder on the TX and RX, but not where to solder on for ground. Any help there, is there a picture I missed?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #162
ebina1

I guess I'm really asking, is there a ground here on the same side of the board as the TX and RX so I don't have to remove all the cables and screws to remove the screen just to get to the other side of the board.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #163
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebina1 View Post
I guess I'm really asking, is there a ground here on the same side of the board as the TX and RX so I don't have to remove all the cables and screws to remove the screen just to get to the other side of the board.
Yes, see the picture attached to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=23

There you will see that the top most (and the two connector mounting pads) are connected to the top ground plane.

Pin-out is the same as for the PW1 - just a different physical location.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #164
ebina1

Thanks! Ok, I have my serial connector soldered on. Just waiting to find out whether to plug it into my linux or Windows machine and what software to run. Anyone?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #165
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
either will do.

You can rip hyperterminal for windows assuming you have an old enough disk lying around to grab it off of or any of the linux serial based terms. minicom for example.

or putty. etc.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote