Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #286
Gabbers
Gabbers began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite wifi
Hi, I've been trying to get the screensavers to work for quite some time and it's just not working. I did the jailbreak and I just want the custom screensavers, not the covers. Can someone help me? I'm using a paperwhite with the latest patch 5.3 thingy.

edit: after several uninstalls and reboots I got it to work, carry on

Last edited by Gabbers; 01-15-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Gabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #287
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@albyok: The delay is completely normal (at least the first time a 'new' book is opened). That said, there will *always* (by design) be a slight (5 to 10s) delay between the opening of a book, and the actual switch of the screensaver, even when the processed cover is cached.

@Paxo57: They'll always be shown in the order ther are numbered. The random/shuffle feature only shuffle them around at specific points in time (boot/autoreboot).

@madmun: Because it doesn't need one. Simply delete the [/mnt/us/]python folder.

@TheSacredSoul: Yup . As DT said, the build & src folders, are, well, the build scripts and the sources .

@xlolliqueenx: Either you have an SO device, or the install proecdure was definitely *NOT* successful.

@TheSacredSoul: The cached covers are stored in linkss/cover_cache. The files are named according to the book's ASIN. Deleting the corresponding file, switching to another book, then the updated book again should be enough to rebuild it. (Don't just empty the cover_cache folder, there's some default stuff we need in there, besides the generated covers ).

@trtek: AFAIK, yes. Will check it out myself later tonight.

@PeterBr: It relies on the *internal* cover, so, yeah, some files might not have one, or the metadata we need to get to it might be wrong. If they're safe (copyright-wise), you can attach one of those here, and I'll take a look at it, if they're not, see what MobiUnpack has to say about those files... .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #288
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Got the cover screensaver working on my PW tonight, so thanks for that!

Is there something I could tweak to get the "letterbox" bars to be black instead of white? Maybe I'm unconsciously drawn to books with darker covers or something, but most of the books I've tested it on would have looked better with black bars. And the body of the PW is black too...
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #289
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Snorkledorf: That's a valid concern. I might end up making that configurable, in fact .

In the meantime, you can edit the linkss/bin/cover-extract script (with an UNIX friendly text editor, since this is a shell script, and all hell will break loose if it's not using *nix line endings):

Look for -background white @ L116, and change it to -background black.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #290
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Snorkledorf: That's a valid concern. I might end up making that configurable, in fact .

In the meantime, you can edit the linkss/bin/cover-extract script (with an UNIX friendly text editor, since this is a shell script, and all hell will break loose if it's not using *nix line endings):

Look for -background white @ L116, and change it to -background black.
Also, if my understanding of the process is correct, it should be possibly to take the cached image and manipulate that. I did this with an abstract cover for The Hobbit. Simply inverted it and changed it a little bit, now it looks much nicer on the non-lit sleeping screen.

But such manipulations are beyond the scope of cover-extract. Too much user-interaction required.

I think the default's just fine, by the way.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #291
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
@PeterBr: It relies on the *internal* cover, so, yeah, some files might not have one, or the metadata we need to get to it might be wrong. If they're safe (copyright-wise), you can attach one of those here, and I'll take a look at it, …
I somehow must've messed things up when I was tinkering around. I checked everything again, gave up on using cloud-sync for my own converted epubs to get rid of the "Personal" bar and set up everything fresh. Now all my covers show up just fine.

Thanks again for you excellent work.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #292
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Anyone confirmed this works with 5.3.3?
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #293
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Anyone confirmed this works with 5.3.3?
It’s working for me.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #294
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitrucz View Post
It’s working for me.

Did you have to re-install the hack after upgrading to 5.3.3?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #295
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Did you have to re-install the hack after upgrading to 5.3.3?
Yes, I reinstalled all my hacks after upgrading.

- python
- linkss
- kindlet
- collection manager (re downloaded from original thread. it sort of hung on me (only showed ixtab’ws web site) without getting the latest from the original thread)
- developer certs (due to hanging issue in collection manager.
- usbnet
- jbpatch
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #296
sparrowlight
Zealot

Ok, thanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #297
sparrowlight
Zealot

I updated to 5.3.3 and re-installed the hack and it's all working. Excited for wifi improvements!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #298
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Lightbulb

Hi NiLuJe! In case you're taking feature requests :-D .. would it be possible to have the Personal Info show up in the screensaver, as an option? i.e. the text of

Code:
cat /var/local/java/prefs/com.lab126.booklet.settings.preferences | grep PERSONAL_INFO | cut -d= -f2
(with possible line breaks as \n)

For example, an "If found, please return to..." message would be great with a device passcode...

Thanks for your work!
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #299
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
@TheSacredSoul: The cached covers are stored in linkss/cover_cache. The files are named according to the book's ASIN. Deleting the corresponding file, switching to another book, then the updated book again should be enough to rebuild it. (Don't just empty the cover_cache folder, there's some default stuff we need in there, besides the generated covers ).
Ah, I didn't delete the 4 default and overlay files And happy to report working fine on 5.3.3 after reinstalling the hack.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #300
Pepin33
Zealot
Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Touch
I was trying to install the screensavers hack in Touch with 5.3.2 firmw. I first installed python 0.2.N, then linkss 0.6.N. All was OK. Then, I created an empty file named cover in the linkss folder. Finally, I restarted framework (from JBPatch utilities).

At first, nothing happens. The screensavers was the default Kindle's ones. I open a pair of books to try to catch the covers, but nothing happens. So I restart framework again. Then, the screensaver began working. But it shows "nothing" (white screen). I restart again, and I get the cover of the first book I opened after installing the patch. After some uses, the screensaver cover changes to the second book I opened.

But I was reading another book!. And after I switched the Kindle ON/OFF a lot of times, the cover of the second book remains, even when I was reading another one.

Anybody knows what's happening?
Pepin33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch