Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #76
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You are missing the point. What is being told here is access to the onboard stuff like music and pictures. Unless you use itunes you can't update the contents, the file names are even garbled. On other devices supporting UMS you can drag and drop. That said, I believe the 4S is less restrictive in that you can use wifi to transfer files.
The fact you can access your NAS has nothing to do with the restriction discussed here.
You don't have to use iTunes to update filenames etc. so what if I can't do it on device. Lol. It doesn't matter. You are more than welcome to fiddle around with files names. I just want to enjoy my content. Accessing my NAS sold not be thrown out because the fact is I can still access my content. Regardless if I can drag & drop. You want to discredit it because it's not your way of accessing content. Whatever, point blank is that I can access my files. Period & end of story. People just try to find ways to say that you can't access files or do what you want with them. That is complete & utter BS. Whether you like it or not I can still do what I want with my files. I know it upsets most people to thi k that, but they should really get over it. Btw, it's not just the 4S that use wifi to transfer files. I'm not trying to argue anything, only stating the facts. I really don't know what's so hard to understand what it is about it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding everyone else. & I totally apologize if I do. But I've done my research. I use devices extensively & I can assure I know what I'm talking about. If I'm wrong, then i'm humble enough to admit that I'm wrong & again I apologize.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #77
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
But you're still restricted to the size of the SD card. How much do you REALLY need to carry around with you? Most people I would suspect not much.

There are wifi HDD's btw, that you can use to access files and share that HDD with other users. So really the SD card issue is a mute point. There is also a device that plugs into an iOS device that you can use SD cards for additional storage and read from them just as you would with any other device. I'm not talking about the camera connection kit either.

http://www.airstash.com/

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...flex-satellite

http://www.hypershop.com/iFlashDrive-s/200.htm

There's a few to get you started.
Or you can just buy a device with expandable storage and save money and head aches.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #78
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue anything, only stating the facts. I really don't know what's so hard to understand what it is about it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding everyone else. & I totally apologize if I do. But I've done my research. I use devices extensively & I can assure I know what I'm talking about. If I'm wrong, then i'm humble enough to admit that I'm wrong & again I apologize.
Maybe we are misunderstanding you. So answer this, without iTunes, wireless sync, or a third party app how do you access photos(not to view but for archive) taken on you phone or iPod?

=X=
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #79
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Maybe we are misunderstanding you. So answer this, without iTunes, wireless sync, or a third party app how do you access photos(not to view but for archive) taken on you phone or iPod?

=X=
Why does it matter? I can still access my photos & do as I want with them. How would you do it on any other device. Connect it to a computer. Move it to a folder, etc? What's the difference? I move it to a folder & archive it on my computer or an external HDD, upload it to Flickr, picasa, FB (these are all archiving services). I don't understand what you're getting at.

You cut your lawn one way, I cut it the other way. Guess what? We are still cutting lawns.

Next....
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #80
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:

=X=
To my knowledge there is an exception for photos taken with the device. This part is not restricted.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #81
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

=X=
On my work PC, Windows just downloads them through some wizard, at least on XP. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #82
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
According to this logic floppy drives were pointless, since there was a hard drive that was bigger.
What's the connection with what I said? I was talking about replacing an SD card with another SD card. If you had a 4GB one for example and you think that you need more space, you could get an 8Gb (or 16, or 32, depending how much more space you need).
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #83
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
On my work PC, Windows just downloads them through some wizard, at least on XP. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083
Hm.. That did not work for me. But then again I was using a Virtual windows machine.

=X=
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #84
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Personally, I love to customize my stuff. I don't want my phone to look like every other phone. I love that I can use different launchers and all kinds of other custom things with my android. I find iPhones all look the same, which is too boring for me.

I also hate itunes. Like hate it. I want to just drag and drop. That's it.

I have a Galaxy phone and I love it. I am pretty confident that I will get another when I upgrade. I like other Android phones, but I love my Sammy more than any HTC or other android I have played with (my husband has an HTC).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #85
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
You cut your lawn one way, I cut it the other way. Guess what? We are still cutting lawns.

Next....
Isn't that the point --- he couldn't cut the lawn his way. With an iDevice he has to cut the lawn in a certain way, and that way usually isn't very efficient. iOS is geared towards cutting down the learning curve, not towards working quickly. Turn Wifi on and off again on your iphone --- 6 clicks. I would have to do that at least 6 times a day. So for me the lack of widgets alone is reason enough to stay away. You can't change things to operate your way. Of course, if your way is the iWay then you are doing great --- but we are not all working the same way.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-11-2011 at 07:35 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #86
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
DRAG and DROP...without ITUNES...best thing about "other devices"...like my Cowon mp3 player...no need for Itunes or any special software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Personally, I love to customize my stuff. I don't want my phone to look like every other phone. I love that I can use different launchers and all kinds of other custom things with my android. I find iPhones all look the same, which is too boring for me.

I have a Galaxy phone and I love it. I am pretty confident that I will get another when I upgrade. I like other Android phones, but I love my Sammy more than any HTC or other android I have played with (my husband has an HTC).
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #87
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Same here. What an utter piece of s**t. Was I glad when I could fill my iPod with wjnamp and uninstall that bloatware. For the record, I bought the iPod on craiglist as my car has a dock - God forbid my hard earned cash went to apple's coffers.

Last edited by afv011; 11-11-2011 at 11:00 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #88
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
DRAG and DROP...without ITUNES...best thing about "other devices"...like my Cowon mp3 player...no need for Itunes or any special software...
The reason the iPod was successful in the first place was because of iTunes (even though it's feeling its age now, I think). And the reason iTunes was so much better than what went before was because it didn't have drag and drop. Drag and drop is a horrible solution when you have thousands of songs, especially with a lot of random singles. Also, it worked much better than the other music managers out there at the time, most of which were pretty much an afterthought.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #89
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
The only reason my wife and i eventually got ipods and iphone. were because of our experiences with other non android devices before, we both bought Zune mp3 players that were 1st generation when microsoft released a 2nd generation shortly later with no announcement or anything and the new firmware update bricked everyones 1st generation zune for 4 months (no jokes) and the official response was tuff luck.

Also my wife had owned 3 generations of Windows based smart phones from starcom, to motorola to htc trying to replace her palm pda that she love .. those windows phones were a buggy crashy mess... so she got an iphone because at the time it worked... we got the ipods because at the time it worked.

Ill be honest android wasnt ready and stable enough untill gingerbread came out for us to finaly move away from apple. i like android now but untill then there was nobody better than idevices and thier OS.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #90
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Sony has great mp3 line of walkman players. It's just media normally associates "walkman" with ancient tape device and Sony didn't spend much money on advertising.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

How old is this:

http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrows...i/Requirements
Program Requirements
Windows XP / Vista 32-bit / Windows 7 RC 32-bit
Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
afc2 service installed on phone (otherwise iPhoneBrowser will not show all files)
This is normally installed as part of jailbreaking
iTunes up to version 8.2 installed and started with iPhone attached at least once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
What's the connection with what I said? I was talking about replacing an SD card with another SD card. If you had a 4GB one for example and you think that you need more space, you could get an 8Gb (or 16, or 32, depending how much more space you need).
Sorry, I've missed the point.

Last edited by kartu; 11-12-2011 at 07:40 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote