Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
sid201
sid201 began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
DRM'ed books

I've recently installed openinkpot for the as some of my books drop off tho the menu using the original firmware-so I'm new to this and you'll have t o excuse dumb questions .
Is it possible to read DRM'ed books with openinkpot?
Also how do I(can i?) swap between cool reader and FbReader?

Cheers all
Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
You need to strip the DRM.

As for swapping long hold the number of the book and you should get a list.
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
sid201

ok, thanks- could you explain to me how I can strip the drm?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Depends on the format see ConvertLIT, I think also dedrm and such tools. As I tend to get non-DRM content initially don't have much of a problem with this. Search around forum, wiki, general web search.

If this post is against rules feel free to remove it.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
sid201

I get most of my books in mobi format, they are all with one exception drm free -the issue is that there's a lot of books I'd like to get which will almost certainly have drm from the available source.
Also I've next to no computer skills beyond turning the thing on so I'm screwed,i'd still be using the original firmware (I'm assuming its able to open drm'd books) but it's crap

I really need an idiot guide here- or a child friendly way to remove drm
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid201 View Post
DRM removal is in a very gray area legally, and the legality varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so there is no "child friendly way" to remove DRM. There are ways if you search for them, but they do take a bit of computer knowledge to use.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
You might look at the Baen site for ebooks without DRM. While there, check out their free library. Also MR has many classics without DRM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
sid201

nearly all of my books come from baen -it's just that there's more that I'd want that aren't on the baen site-I was quite exited to find them on other sites for comparable prices-just now I've got a book I can only read on the pc-frustrated doesn't cover it
Old 06-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid201 View Post
As Dave_S said, DRM removal has a learning curve. If you have a Windows PC, one of the easiest is "ConvertLIT GUI" where GUI is Graphical User Interface (i.e. this is a Windows app like you are used to). This is for MS Reader (LIT) ebooks. Once a LIT is DRM-free you would use Calibre to convert it to MOBI or ePub. Calibre has its own forum here, and a GUI.