Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #31
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I must be color blind :-). I have no issues with my new PW. .
I really don't like statements like this because it infers that because your kindle is fine, then others are complaining for the sake of it. And i am pretty sure you are not colour blind.

BTW my PPW is a good one but I dont dismiss that others are getting faulty ones that have nothing to do with their eyes!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #32
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I really don't like statements like this because it infers that because your kindle is fine, then others are complaining for the sake of it.
Please don't read things into my comment that I did not say. My PW is not perfect, but it suits my needs coming from a Kindle Keyboard. On the contrary I commiserate with those that have issues with their devices.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Amazon Andrew just called as promised. This time, he said he had a solution for me! Yay.
He said that he can send me two new units and that he is confident that the screens will be good and not have any issues. He did not confirm hat they changed the manufactoring process, and I assume that he is not supposed to comment on that, which is understandable. He did confirm that the units will be new and not refurbished. No sure when they'll get here, but he said he will call me again the day I receive them or the day after. I know it is really stupid, but I am really giddy with excitement now!!
It comforts me that he gave me the same answer as Sparklemotion, because of the constantly contradicting answers I used to get in the beginning.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Also, I received a new unit today (the second one I originally ordered in September as a gift). The weird thing is that I almost started to cry when I took it out of the box, because there we no colors at all on the screen, but as soon as the set-up process was complete, they settled. Mostly green, but with pink patches. I noticed two things: at the same light setting, it was darker than the other 3 I have here. But, strangely, the font also had more contrast, so, it was darker, but was more legible. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I also noticed that there was zero light in the lower left corner (which made me regret it had the rainbow on it) and less pronounced light spots at the bottom, so maybe they ARE improving QC!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
YAY! I'm so happy that Andrew gave you the same response as he gave me, xendula! That gives me some hope! I have to admit I was worried that he was going to say something different to you and then I'd know he was full of bullhooey all around.

Sorry about your other unit, but hopefully Andrew will come through for us and we'll finally get good units. I'm still skeptical it will happen, but here's hoping!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #35
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
YAY! I'm so happy that Andrew gave you the same response as he gave me, xendula! That gives me some hope! I have to admit I was worried that he was going to say something different to you and then I'd know he was full of bullhooey all around.

Sorry about your other unit, but hopefully Andrew will come through for us and we'll finally get good units. I'm still skeptical it will happen, but here's hoping!
Hope you two get good ones. I'm just so skeptical at this point my trust level with Amazon and the way they are dealing with the PW is really low.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I really don't think they'd be shouting it from the rooftops because there are plenty of people that do seem happy with their units (whether it's because they can't see the problems or their units are better, is anyone's guess) so I really don't think they would want to draw attention to the problem. I do agree with everything else you said though.
Good point but many that returned for a refund won't reorder until a statement is made that the issue has been resolved to avoid reliving the hassle of the never ending PW lottery. Its no secret, attention has already been drawn to the defective screen problems and folks with good ones are already aware of this also, so really there is nothing to lose for Amazon but much to gain.

Last edited by tmf2; 10-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #37
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Hope you two get good ones.
Thank you. I'm very skeptical too, mainly because I don't understand how they could have fixed it so quickly. However, at least Andrew did tell me they are aware of the problem and it does seem he is trying to help us. Whether or not this will result in good, color blob free PW remains to be seen. I'm expecting my unit on Tuesday, but it may come as early as Monday. I'll let everyone know how it is and post pics then.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #38
tmf2
Zealot

Quote:
Thank you. I'm very skeptical too, mainly because I don't understand how they could have fixed it so quickly. However, at least Andrew did tell me they are aware of the problem and it does seem he is trying to help us. Whether or not this will result in good, color blob free PW remains to be seen. I'm expecting my unit on Tuesday, but it may come as early as Monday. I'll let everyone know how it is and post pics then.
I was thinking of waiting until you get your replacement before requesting a refund maybe there is a different approach I can take if your experience is positive.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #39
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine will be here on Tuesday as well. Strange, ummm, at the same time as yours, though ordered later!

Sparkle, our units will be a very good indication: either they are all good, or....

I am also glad he gave me the same answer, my heart jumped a beat when he finally said he found a solution for me, and that his solution for me is the same as for you.

Fingers crossed......
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #40
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
I was thinking of waiting until you get your replacement before requesting a refund maybe there is a different approach I can take if your experience is positive.
Yes, I would wait until we report back on Tuesday night.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #41
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
I think that's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Mine will be here on Tuesday as well. Strange, ummm, at the same time as yours, though ordered later!

Sparkle, our units will be a very good indication: either they are all good, or....

I am also glad he gave me the same answer, my heart jumped a beat when he finally said he found a solution for me, and that his solution for me is the same as for you.

Fingers crossed......
I was so glad too! Fingers crossed for us. I think the Tuesday date is mainly because of the weekend in between. Generally with Amazon Prime when I order right near the weekend, they will give me a Tuesday delivery date, but it often arrives a day early. I'm hoping that will be the case here. Although that is usually with UPS and this Kindle was sent Fed Ex.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

The logical, practical side of me thinks it is way too early for a hardware change to have been implemented. The skeptical side thinks they probably had someone look through several units until they found a couple they think the two of you will approve of.

I think the two of you will probably get some good units this time, but if you do I caution others to not take for granted that Amazon has found a real solution. Only when most of the people who receive replacements start reporting good units will I believe Amazon has actually fixed the problem.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #43
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

That's what the logical side of myself says to, Jack. I really hope xendula and I get good units on Tuesday, but I'd also really like to see a solution for everyone, of course. It's just not right to continue to send out these defective color hued units to people.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #44
tmf2
Zealot

I just was reading posts from today at the Amazon forum. People have been receiving PW units today (26th) with the defective screens. I guess the fix hasn't rolled out yet.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #45
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I just got off the phone with a rep (I hadn't read this post yet) and told them I wanted a refund for my Paperwhite and case, following a defective replacement for my first defective Paperwhite. He said he'd heard nothing about this problem. I told him that if he knew about a fix in the works, to please tell me, and that would prompt me to buy another one after the problem was worked out. He said all he'd heard was the training info about the LEDs at the bottom of the screen.

My replacement was as bad or worse than the first. I'm referring to a bluish blob shadowy area near the center of the screen. Specifically, it seems to hover near text as opposed to white space between sections or paragraphs. It's most obvious in a dark room with the light turned up to maximum. Also the font appears dimmer and less bold in the areas with shaowing. The whole thing is too uncomfortable to read with.

At first I thought it was something like a negative afterimage (like what happens when a flash goes off in your face, then you look away and "see" it in another color). But I googled the problem and saw photos of what I saw, so a camera would not have reproduced it if it were related to human vision.

Apparently the reps have not been informed of anything.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote