Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC V5.2.1 beta release channel

CC V5.2.1.1 (beta) has been published.

The change in this beta is the addition of "Night mode", which flips the display from black text on a white background to near-white on a black background. You choose night mode in the menu of the book list/grid.

Many thanks to kaufman and Terisa de morgan for alpha-testing the new release.

Adding night mode required changing a lot in e-ink support. Because it is possible that I broke some things, I would appreciate it if people with e-ink devices could pay particular attention to dialogs etc.

To answer in advance some possible inquiries:
  • I won't make the colors user selectable for several technical and user interface reasons.
  • The light gray text in night mode is a compromise between readability in lighted areas and the "flashlight" effect in the dark. I probably won't change it.
  • Adding the menu line to the other modes (book details, content server, cloud) requires significant and risky changes. I am willing to go there but the bar is quite high and, to me, doesn't seem necessary.
  • Enabling e-ink support disables night mode by intention.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
chaley, so no night mode support in e-ink? I wasn't seeing it at my Energy and I thought I had done something wrong.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
chaley, so no night mode support in e-ink? I wasn't seeing it at my Energy and I thought I had done something wrong.
Nope. E-ink displays don't "glow", making night mode unnecessary, and e-ink dialog support conflicts with night-mode dialog support.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Ok, thanks, so I'll check now the rest of the menus, after knowing I've not installed anything wrong
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Pretty cool! Could the drop down for the yes/no read column get more contrast (if that makes sense?)?

from my Galaxy S6
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Pretty cool! Could the drop down for the yes/no read column get more contrast (if that makes sense?)?
I didn't notice that one.

Yes, it makes sense and yes, I can do it. In night mode I will make it light text on a dark gray background. Nothing will change in day and e-ink modes.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Since you didn't state this specifically as a possible inquiry:

Would you be willing to add an option called "Permanent night mode" which would turn on night mode and remove the option from the menu?

Its a small thing, so if its a pain, don't bother, but I like to keep that menu clean.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@chaley,

Looks great in Book list.

Just found my first problem. In Settings - Formats & folders the directory settings for each format have disappeared - presumably black-on-black.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
A simple solution to these little issues.

What if you only had night mode impact the book list and the book details? You would cover almost all of the use of the program. For the occasional "settings" use, people can deal with the flashlight effect.

It might save you a lot of work.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... 2nd problem: Settings - Customize the book List - Select sorts displayed on book list. RESET LIST button is pale-grey-on-white. It is just about visible, though.

ETA: Actually this RESET LIST button appears in quite a few places. It looks the same each time I've seen it, so far.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-25-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Settings - Automatic sorting when grouping - Sort when "Groups" line is tapped

This screen is still black-on-white
Old 09-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
A simple solution to these little issues.

What if you only had night mode impact the book list and the book details? You would cover almost all of the use of the program. For the occasional "settings" use, people can deal with the flashlight effect.

It might save you a lot of work.
Unfortunately that doesn't work. Setting a "style" changes the entire app. There isn't an easy way to set one for part of the app.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Settings - Automatic sorting when grouping - Sort when "Groups" line is tapped

This screen is still black-on-white
Turns out there are a lot of these, almost every list in Settings. This needs some thought.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Turns out there are a lot of these, almost every list in Settings. This needs some thought.
Goes to show ya just how customizable this powerhouse of a program is! Thank you!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I think I found the secret sauce to fix all of these. I will push a new beta tomorrow.