Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Could you be more specific? I use 0.35k and have absolutely no problem with PDF TOC's. I do not use sublevels.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 AM   #17
tonhou
tonhou began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Quote:
Could you be more specific? I use 0.35k and have absolutely no problem with PDF TOC's. I do not use sublevels.
As I said I have all pdf's - a large number. Some were ok with 35k, but many were not -- probably those with a large number of TOC pages (10+) were more likely to have rogue entries beginning with a hash and/or lots of blank lines.

35m does not have any of these issues with any of my pdf's.

--Tony
tonhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
.rob.
gatherer of werdz
.rob. began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisvjames View Post
Well the good news is ... ...The bad news is that something has changed and I am unable to read my old ePub ebooks.

I usually load the Lits into Calibre, then as I put them on to the Jetbook I convert to ePub. Been working fine up to now. ...

No longer. Either there is a significant change in Jetbook (the original not the Jetbook lite) or there's a change in Calibre.

I can open and read them in Calibre. Then I transfer them to the Jetbook. When I go to open them the jetbook says "failed to open the file.
Anyone else have this challenge?
Dvj, I have the EXACT same problem.

I find my books from a number of diff sources (eg, feedbooks, guttenburg, 4shared, etc) and there seems to be no rhyme or reason, as they say, to what opens and what does not.

The majority of the pdf's that I've converted in Calibre (on the fly and not; in bulk and individual) seem to 'fail to open'.

While on the other, however, the drm's from b&n open as they should. ...except that I no longer have the credit card number used to purchase some of them; but others that I did purchase don't ask for the codes, and look beautiful!

---I am very glad (and of course sad) to hear that SOMEone else is experiencing the same frustration as I. I still love my JB though, and am looking forward to a resolution(?).

Some (EcTaco JB forum) have suggested re-downloading the pdf's with adobe reader.. Haven't tried it yet, but will let you know as soon as I do, or if anything else does the trick. If you wouldn't mind the same courtesy?
.rob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #19
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I'm resigned to the fact that a large number of ebooks in supported formats are not readable on my jbook.

Additionally while some books would open, it would cause the LED light to blink every 2 seconds. After this is being triggered, the light would blink with high frequency with every ebook that I read. The only way to kill the blinking would be to do a hard reset.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
tonhou

Quote:
The bad news is that something has changed and I am unable to read my old ePub ebooks.
You may have to do the following: Settings->System Settings->Restore Defaults ... to avoid some blank and oddly formatted epubs.

--Tony
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
.rob.
gatherer of werdz

...Settings->....etc.

Tried that. It took care of some of the epub's I grabbed from feedbooks. It also made the font size of my main menus (for the folders/files, not the JetBook welcome screen) huge. Over and over again. Once, the menu size actually flashed at the size I chose, then switched to the default gi-normous size. Two hard resets (ie, reset button) stopped that.

Curiosity::: I loaded an unconverted pdf onto a blank sdc and opened it. Opened with no problem other than the total lack of formatting. I was actually able to read the 'code lines' for the formatting. And the font was more basic than that of a notepad.

I'm about to try to convert the 'new' pdf in calibre and try to open it. Maybe the newer version of calibre took care of this issue?

Don't know.
Don't give up.
Don't plan to...
Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #22
tonhou

Quote:
Tried that. It took care of some of the epub's I grabbed from feedbooks.
Feedbooks epubs are very good compared to others with good TOC, they convert well to pdf.

My experience is that Calibre does not do a good job of converting to pdf.
It is ok at making epubs.
From the epub use one of the epub to pdf convertors which will shape your pdfs to the screen size with TOC very nicely.
This one if you use Linux, which produces the best pdf's ever:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62939
or this:
http://pdf2epub.com which is still pretty useful.

For pdf's made by these you need to turn reflow off. and do a "fit to width"

--Tony
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #23
.rob.
gatherer of werdz

thanks for the link, tonhou.

yes, I do use linux and will try out the converter.

However, my issue is in reading(opening) the epub's that were converted ~from~ pdf's. Although, now that the pdf format looks so pretty, I may skip the epub altogether.

I mean, what is the big deal about the epub format anyway? Honestly, I started converting everything to epub just because feedbooks seemed to prefer it and the jB seemed to handle it decently smoothly once it actually loaded.

...and the pdf 'feels' more like a book, yes?

Hmmm....
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
Michael Morrow
Michael Morrow began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook ereader
hey guys., I have a jetBook...about 7 months old. It has the v0.33g patch 13 firmware on it. Everytime I try to update to the new firmware I get an incompatible format message. JetBook techs sent me back to v0.34b but the same thing happens...I think they were going to lead me up to the v0.35m but I can't seem to find a starting place. Please help. Thanks.
Michael Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have version 0.33g and can't seem to upgrade to the current version.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #26
tonhou

Quote:
You'll need to go to 34b or 34c first.

--Tony
Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
See the instructions below
http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade.php

Note: To upgrade the firmware version 0.33g to the latest 0.35m, the version 0.34b has to be installed first: 0.33g -> 0.34b -> 0.35m.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #28
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
You can also go by this route: 0.33g -> 0.35a -> 0.35m.
I'm not sure if you could still find 0.35a around though.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Much thanks to everyone who helped me on this.

I was hesitant to upgrade to the earlier versions, but decided to get this latest version.

I'll go ahead and download the two versions and do the upgrade.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #30
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I would suggest using 0.35k instead of 0.35m as it saves font sizes correctly.

If you go 0.33g --> 0.35a2 (tselling's mod) you should be able to get there.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote