Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Gernella
Gernella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600/Kobo Arc7
Charging or frying

Following purchase of my Reader I bought a separate charging unit from Amazon. I plugged it into a spare socket on a Belkin surge protector device on the floor, the other spare slots had my various sewing machines in. There was also a little retractable cable which slotted in with the other end into the Reader. I had started charging, then because I was using the computer moved the Reader to that for a couple of hours (it was actually fully charged when I finished using the pc). I then moved back to the charger, got hold of the retractable cable and let go in a hurry. The whole unit, including the plug was red hot and the retractable came apart with the cable fried.

The seller has sent me another one but I am worried it might fry the reader. They did suggest plugging directly into a socket instead. Has anyone had similar problems?
Gernella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Step 1.) Plug your reader into a USB port on your computer.
Step 2.) Throw away the charger.
Step 3.) There is no step 3.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I always say, never ever buy an ac adapter, an extension cord, or power strip that is not certified (UL listed for example) as it can catch fire.

buy a good wall wart (AC to USB) and then get the following.... http://www.meritline.com/5-in-1-usb-...--p-28335.aspx

It will then work with any USB wall wart that's of good quality.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote