Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
giblet
giblet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Do I need to bring the cord?

I just got a 505 (and I love it!!). I am going to bring it travelling with me in a few days. I'm packing now and realize that my bag is about half filled with cords so I'm trying to see which ones I can eliminate.

Is there any reason I need to bring the cord for this if I am bringing an SD card reader? I can move things on and off the reader with the card reader, I think. Am I not thinking of something?

Thanks!
giblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Charging?
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
giblet

Dammit...I knew there was something!

I had just eliminated the cord necessity from 2 other gadgets, both of of which had separate batteries. Sigh. Duh!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
giblet

Dumbest first post ever?
Old 10-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
Dumbest first post ever?
No, it depends on how long you are travelling. If you are only travelling for a few days I think you can chance it by giving the reader a full charge before you go. It should last a few weeks.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Dumbest first post ever?
No, don't worry, we've seen far worse. And I am very good at dumb posting myself. And anyway, your post wasn't even dumb, as a matter of fact.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
lcbannon
Enthusiast
lcbannon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I will tell you it will go much longer without a charge if you do NOT leave the sd card in the unit. ( I speak from experience)
lcbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
I'd take the cord. There's nothing worse than having your eReader battery go dead when you really want to read it! (I speak from experience.) That said, the charge really does last a long time, so it really depends on how long you are going to be gone. Plus, as lcbannon says, the SD card drains the battery much faster than without it.

But I know what you mean! I couldn't believe the number of cords I brought with me on my recent 12-day trip! Ah, well. The price of a mobile, high-tech life!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Especially if the device is new should you take the charger with you. It takes a few charges for the battery life to optimalize.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Dumbest first post ever?

Oh no. Not at all.

Welcome!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum, Giblet.
Have a look at this thread and see whether any of the ideas in later pages might help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170

Personally, for a short trip I just take a power monkey (google it) with a PSP tip for the Sony Reader and another one compatible with my mobile phone. (They come with the device.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Another 'convenient' cord option (I recommend this to ALL Reader owners!) is to buy a PSP data/power cable. You can use it as a regular usb-to-mini-usb cable (e.g., for data transfer for the Reader) and you can power the Reader from any usb port (PC/wall-wort/car charger, etc.) You can find these for under $5. Best charging option for the Reader. (Just got a couple of these in the mail yesterday from dealextreme, $3.75 each, free shipping.)

BTW, the battery should last well over 2 weeks (maybe less with SD card), so you may not need a charger. Also, there's enough internal memory to hold a ton of books, so why not load a big assortment of stuff onto the Reader before you leave? Unless you're traveling for more than 2-2.5 weeks, you won't need any charger or SD card, and you won't run out of books!

Last edited by DrMoze; 10-14-2009 at 09:49 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote