Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
bartolucci
bartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Gibbon, Edward: The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire, v1.0, 6 July 2008

I put this ebook together a while ago and I feel bad that only now am I posting it for other people. Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is one of those books that demonstrates how useful ebooks can be. In paper form it's so massive that I never carry it around, so I very rarely make any progress, but in ebook form I always have it and can slowly make progress.

I added title and author metadata, broke up the 6 volumes into their 71 chapters, added a table of contents, and cleaned up some of the weird characters. I've also added a map from what I think was the original printing of the book but it still doesn't look good on the kindle screen. Eventually I plan on breaking the map into smaller pieces that will look better on the small screen.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi gibbon.mobi (3.96 MB, 3048 views)
bartolucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Nicely done, thanks!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Seconded. Thanks!
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is this the version with or without all the footnotes?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
bartolucci
bartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enoughbartolucci will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
No footnotes, sorry. Is there source out there with footnotes? I used the pg version.
bartolucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PG has two versions - one with, and one without the footnotes. The footnotes are VERY extensive and provide all sorts of interesting additional information. It would be lot of work to do a nice eBook version with footnotes, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolucci View Post
I put this ebook together a while ago and I feel bad that only now am I posting it for other people. Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is one of those books that demonstrates how useful ebooks can be. In paper form it's so massive that I never carry it around, so I very rarely make any progress, but in ebook form I always have it and can slowly make progress.

I added title and author metadata, broke up the 6 volumes into their 71 chapters, added a table of contents, and cleaned up some of the weird characters. I've also added a map from what I think was the original printing of the book but it still doesn't look good on the kindle screen. Eventually I plan on breaking the map into smaller pieces that will look better on the small screen.
Thanks!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Thanks a lot. This is one of my favourite books for dipping into. I must confess I've never read it all through in one go.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
empire, gibbon, rome