Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
iLiad dead :(

a long shot, to see if anyone has any ideas....

my irex wont boot, was ok last time i tried,
had installed 2.12 a week or so ago, and was ok after that, and hadnt changed anything since then.

just get the splash screen, it counts up the bars all the way, then just continues flashing the busy light.

bad news is:
i) i had networking setup to always come up on startup,
... and i dont see it on the network, so i dont think its even getting far enough to launch network scripts (which is well before contentlister)
ii) i put the reflash onto a CF card , and it still does the same thing
... so im guessing, its not even reading the CF?

so sounds very much dead to me
any ideas i may have missed?

will call irex tommorow, i presume as its only 3 months old it will be covered by warranty.
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Do you have the developer package installed after 2.12?
If not, then you cannot reflash by yourself.

If you have, then you need to extract the zip file to the root directory of the flash card and then keep the connect button pressed really long, while turning on the iLiad.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Do you have the developer package installed after 2.12?
If not, then you cannot reflash by yourself.
oh yes, as i mentioned, i also had various failsafes in place, like network access setup to quote with such situations - but all seemed to have failed.
i suspect its a fault with the internal memory, as i dont think its getting to runlevel 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
If you have, then you need to extract the zip file to the root directory of the flash card and then keep the connect button pressed really long, while turning on the iLiad.
thats the bit i didnt know about ... will try that when i get home

btw, what does the progress bar actually represent at the bottom?
is it just automatically increasing or is it really tracking the progess of the boot sequence.
.. i suspect, it doesnt really represent anything

i really think, irex should supply an key press, which hides the splashscreen, and shows the linux boot console as it starts up!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Did you manage to get your iLiad up and running again?

I had a similar problem after hard-resetting the device. In my case booting without the CF card inserted helped to recover my device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
oh yes, as i mentioned, i also had various failsafes in place, like network access setup to quote with such situations - but all seemed to have failed.
The firmware update removes all custom startup scripts, so e.g. the Unbrickable script has to be reinstalled again.

Quote:
btw, what does the progress bar actually represent at the bottom?
is it just automatically increasing or is it really tracking the progess of the boot sequence.
.. i suspect, it doesnt really represent anything
You're right, it doesn't correctly represent the boot-up status. I used to have a custom script loaded during boot-up which added about 5 seconds to the bootup time. The progress bar simply stayed at 100% for exactly that 5 extra seconds.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
thetechnobear
Connoisseur

no nothing solved it - i tried everything!

from the courier report, it should be at irex now, so just waiting to hear when its going to be repaired and shipped back,

anyone know how long this 'usually' takes... or does it vary alot?

(oh, id already re-installed the unbrickable after firmware update before it died, and that was not functioning )
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
thetechnobear
Connoisseur

back from irex... but no comments on how it died

whoa, got my iliad back...

have to say was really good service, seemed to be turned around same day!

odd though, absolutely no reason/explanation given as to the fault.
ive emailed irex to see if i can find out,
the only think i was told previously was that they were experiencing some issues with 2.12 - has anyone else have any issues with 2.12?

- freezing on bootup... i think quite early on in boot sequence..

has anyone attempted a reflash after having 2.12 installed?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Fermthe
Connoisseur
Fermthe began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500/Iliad v2
Iliad bootup

Yes it happens to mee too sometimes and the solution i found for that is by pressing the on/off switch for long time the iliad shuts down and after 10-20 sec i press it again and it boots properly. Hope this helps
Fermthe is offline   Reply With Quote