Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #91
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Those were awesome, I always looked forward to the Scholastic flyers. Unfortunately a few clicks on Amazon doesn't have the same magic .
These days the Scholastic flyers are more than halfway full of toys and movie tie-ins. It's sort of depressing.

Did any of you have RIF days at school (Reading is Fundamental)? Apologies if it's already been mentioned.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #92
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
My parents were (and are) voracious readers, so as a child I was always exposed to their love of reading and viewed it as something you always do when you don't have to do anything else. My dad was also a fantastic storyteller, and would regale us with bathtime stories that included your basic fairy tales but also a slew of Bre'r Rabbit stories, which we couldn't get enough of.

When I was three, my favorite book was "Bears in the Night." I had my parents read it to me so often that I was able to match the words to the story, and then I recognized those words in other stories. (I can still recite it nearly verbatim!) My parents would also help me sound out unfamiliar words, and I'm sure their professional backgrounds (writing instructor and elementary school principal) gave me a big advantage. I started kindergarten when I was four (late birthday) and spent as much time as possible in the "reading center." My dad was the principal of the school (it was before kindergarten was mandatory and my school didn't have one) and he checked so many books out for me that the school librarian admonished him for "pushing me" too hard. But they never, ever pushed.

I still have vivid memories of scouring the library shelves in elementary school, looking for anything interesting that I hadn't already read. What I wouldn't give to have that much time to read today!
You have got that right.. I search for time to read.. Semi Retired here and still can't find enough time to read.. I have my Kindle, Nook etc in my briefcase 24-7... sheesh..
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #93
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
My father was a big reader, and I guess I got the habit from him. Loved to read as a child and it has stuck with me.
Yep.. that is how I got the GREAT habit of reading.. form my Dad.. Sweet..
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was created as a sleeper-agent and placed on this planet by my programmers to read anything and everything available—to glean everything I could about your culture through its literature. I've done my best, and now I've been recently "awakened." I would be lying if I said I'm not at all concerned with the pending data dump. I think I will miss Encyclopedia Brown the most.
Those of us in the know, know that your programming has been corrupted so badly as to be unfixable because you read 50 Shade of Grey. Everything you've learned through our books is lost to you except what is in that horrible horrible book. In fact, now that's all you know. So we have nothing to worry about because your mission failed due to one truly awful book that you had the misfortune to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #95
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Those of us in the know, know that your programming has been corrupted so badly as to be unfixable because you read 50 Shade of Grey. Everything you've learned through our books is lost to you except what is in that horrible horrible book. In fact, now that's all you know. So we have nothing to worry about because your mission failed due to one truly awful book that you had the misfortune to read.
Organic circuitry and genetic storage lacunae aren't really corruptible. If I'm alive, the data is intact. Even if, however, what you say were true... my makers need only decide if they wish to fight or schtupp you. Neither would have a particularly disastrous impact on the ultimate goal.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #96
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
my makers need only decide if they wish to fight or schtupp you. Neither would have a particularly disastrous impact on the ultimate goal.
They'd be joining a long line there. Plenty of others already doing that; politicians, lawyers, bankers, hollywood producers, B&N customer service reps...
Better keep the penicillin handy if they expect to take that road.

Me, I'd suggest a slight nudge to Apophis...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #97
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My folks gave me a 'Lifetime Subscription' to Readers Digest when I was born. Maybe they knew something...

There were always book in the house, but my parents were occasional readers. I was the one who could be found reclined on the couch, reading (about 2nd grade).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #98
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Both my parents were English teachers. There have always been books around. I have read books for as long as I can remember. I certainly remember one instance of getting into trouble at school for reading a book when I should have been paying attention to a lesson. That would have been around age 8. (Good grief — 40 years ago!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #99
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
Imagine my astonishmend when I first came at my parents in law, and I couldn't find a book anywhere...
Goodness me. A house without books or bookshelves? Inconceivable.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #100
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My folks gave me a 'Lifetime Subscription' to Readers Digest when I was born. Maybe they knew something...

There were always book in the house, but my parents were occasional readers. I was the one who could be found reclined on the couch, reading (about 2nd grade).

Wow! That's cool.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Like others, I can never remember NOT being a reader; I must have read a very considerable proportion of the books in my local library during my teenage years. Certainly all the SF and pretty much all the mystery sections. I've been reading e-books since about 1986, starting with a Psion 2a "palmtop" for which I wrote my own reading app, and then a whole succession of PDAs. I remember my feeling of utter amazement and joy when I stumbled on PG in the early 1990s.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #102
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I was a child in a war that found its only entertainment in reading books under the candle light.
Bosnia 1992-1995.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #103
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
I was a child in a war that found its only entertainment in reading books under the candle light.
Bosnia 1992-1995.
Sorry you had to experience that! Hope there are no lasting debilitating effects. War is deadly to children and other living things.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #104
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry you had to experience that! Hope there are now lasting debilitating effects. War is deadly to children and other living things.
I feel sure that you mean that you hope there are NO lasting debilitating effects! And I hope so, as well.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #105
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry you had to experience that! Hope there are now lasting debilitating effects. War is deadly to children and other living things.
C'est la vie. Because of it I have a unique experiences and worldview in this day and age.
Well, I "earned" my war wound but it was not debilitating. Just nice scares for memory sake.
I did more damage to my continually worsening myopia and astigmatism during those candlelit days and during university.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote