Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #436
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@mcrmam: When reading the book, bring up the book menu (tap middle of screen, or bottom of screen depending on settings) then click the first of the 4 icons in a row; the book with the turned down page.

On this menu you will see Annotations. Tap that option and you will see bookmarks and annotations in the book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #437
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you. I went there a couple of times but couldn't figure out how to actually go to the bookmark so figured I might not be in the right spot. I didn't get that you had to select to "Show on Page" as that menu item was just not intuitive for me. Now that I know though, simple to do.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #438
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Well I got my Kobo Glo today and I'm happy about it. I went to Chapters Indigo store because I wanted it right away. As I was checking out the covers, the lady there told me both the Touch and Glo covers can fit for the Glo, so I'm glad to know I can also check out the Touch cover for my Glo.

I had no problem updating the firmware. The Kobo Glo looks pretty nice and the light is a must. Since it's my first ereader I obviously expect a period of adaptation. I'm really happy about the numerous dictionaries and translation tools, so I tried it and it's pretty nice. I'm bilingual (French main + English second) and I hope to learn German at some point, so I can tag english words and see meanings and translations.

I plan to buy more memory at some point because I will put lots of books on my Kobo. I have tons of books at home that I want to replace by ebooks so...

Last edited by Nothingness; 11-09-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #439
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I had one of the first Kobos and there were a lot of problems with it. I got tired of having to stick a paperclip in the back periodically and start from scratch. I switched to Kindle and had the Kindle 3, 4 and newest model.

I really wanted to shop in Canada and after reading this forum bought a Glo and I am back to Kobo and selling my month old Kindle. I am thrilled with this gadget. I love it.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #440
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
While reading the book tap the middle to call up the bottom menu. In the "book" menu you'll find annotations. The bookmarks are in there. You have to select "Show on page" to go back to where the bookmark is.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #441
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
Worked like a charm I ended up copying .kobo/images (so it wouldn't have to regenerate those, or put the placeholder covers in), .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite, and of course the books - and it came up exactly at the same place in a book I was reading, reading stats/books read are all correct.
V glad to hear it worked out.

I've gone past the point where I can do this now, having taken the excuse of a new device to properly organise my book series into shelves (thanks to this v helpful link from PeterT).

Library organisation was one of my few dissatisfactions with the Glo/Touch, and this has helped quite a bit.

Consequently I had to manually go through and mark all the read books as finished. It would be great if Calibre (and the Touch/Glo driver) could have an option to suck this info (not to mention bookmarks etc) off the reader and keep it with the book during sync/despite name changes etc...

Of course it might be even better if Kobo incorporated it into their desktop software (I have suggested it), but I doubt that's going to happen (with sideloaded epubs).
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #442
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
As I was checking out the covers, the lady there told me both the Touch and Glo covers can fit for the Glo, so I'm glad to know I can also check out the Touch cover for my Glo.
I would definitely try this before buying if poss, as although the Touch and Glo are almost identical in width and depth, the Touch is more than 1/4" longer. My Glo certainly sloshes about in my Touch cover (which is not a Kobo cover).
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #443
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
I would definitely try this before buying if poss, as although the Touch and Glo are almost identical in width and depth, the Touch is more than 1/4" longer. My Glo certainly sloshes about in my Touch cover (which is not a Kobo cover).
Thanks for the warning!
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #444
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
The Glo automatically turns back on with the light I find if you had the light on when you put it to sleep with the sleep cover. Not sure about the regular sleep with the switch.

I find that anytime I have a delayed response in tapping for page turns from my GLO it's always related to some tiny bit of dust on the screen. It seems to be more sensitive to dust and such than most touch screen devices. Its easy enough to see the dust with the backlight and a quick blow sends it on its way. The swipe command does seem to work either way for turning pages.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #445
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
The only time I have had a problem with my page turn was when I was not specific about what I had in mind. I have intention tremor so when I go to touch something my hand shakes. It is as if the Glo is trying to figure out what I intended. :-)

When I calm it turns beautifully and the swipe is great. Nice texture.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #446
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well after a long wait I finally got one. As for me it probably exceeded my expectations. I do get erratic behavior with the cover, as in, sometimes it doesn't wake the Glo up, sometimes when it does, the black bar disappears on the bottom. I have to go to the settings and then click on the clear setting and then click the solid setting again for the black bar to reappear. And sometimes when not awakeing from sleep mode, I have to shut it down completely then restart.

As far as I can tell these issues are all related to how the cover functions and not how the Glo functions. I can put it to sleep and wake it up the normal way by sliding the switch when it's not in the "wake-up" cover.

As far as the light distribution. I bought a Kindle Paperwhite earlier and returned it the next day. The light distribution on my Kobo is very even with just a slight and small shadowing effect at the bottom, which only becomes apparent when the solid bar is turned off, and again even in that particular case, nothing to complain about. I am assuming my Kindle experience was not typical as my screen had large gray areas that looked like a auto mechanic with oily hands and big thumbs had left thumbprints along the bottom of the screen.

Anyway that's enough, I got to get back to my book.

Also curious, If anybody else has had similar problems with how the cover works?

Last edited by fbrII; 11-09-2012 at 02:25 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #447
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Well after a long wait I finally got one. As for me it probably exceeded my expectations. I do get erratic behavior with the cover, as in, sometimes it doesn't wake the Glo up, sometimes when it does, the black bar disappears on the bottom. I have to go to the settings and then click on the clear setting and then click the solid setting again for the black bar to reappear.
If I recall correctly, this is a known bug, not necessarily related to the cover. You don't have to go to the settings to re-set the black bar. You can simply turn the light off and back on again and the bar-settings should be back to the way you have it set.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #448
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Well after a long wait I finally got one. As for me it probably exceeded my expectations. I do get erratic behavior with the cover, as in, sometimes it doesn't wake the Glo up, sometimes when it does, the black bar disappears on the bottom. I have to go to the settings and then click on the clear setting and then click the solid setting again for the black bar to reappear. And sometimes when not awakeing from sleep mode, I have to shut it down completely then restart.

As far as I can tell these issues are all related to how the cover functions and not how the Glo functions. I can put it to sleep and wake it up the normal way by sliding the switch when it's not in the "wake-up" cover.

<snip>

Also curious, If anybody else has had similar problems with how the cover works?
As I mentioned in another thread, the black bar is appearing and disappearing erratically for me too, especially when I wake the Glo, but I don't have a sleep cover. I'm just using a bare Glo, without even an SD card. So your weird black bar behavior may not be related directly to the sleep cover.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #449
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok after 3 weeks of using my Glo, the battery was finally depleted so I just finished charging it for about 3 hours until the reader indicated a 100% charge. And I just noticed that there is a very faint glow of the light when the light is off. When it is on, the light works fine but it's like I can't fully turn it off anymore, on the off position there is a very faint slightly blinking glow that you can only see when your room is very dark.
Anybody else noticed that and is the Glo supposed to do that ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #450
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If I recall correctly, this is a known bug, not necessarily related to the cover. You don't have to go to the settings to re-set the black bar.
Thanks for the tip, it's much easier than using the settings menu.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote