Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #1231
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephWebber View Post
I downloaded the latest version of Duokan for my Paperwhite 5.3.0. I tried installing it but when I hit the Install button I got the finger!
The instructions say jailbreak first, but I thought the whole point of Duokan was that a jailbreak was not necessary. There is no way I am going to jailbreak my Paperwhite; I would rather stay with vanilla Kindle.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Pretty much what knc1 said - The jailbreak is WAY less dangerous than installing Duokan.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #1232
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Pretty much what knc1 said - The jailbreak is WAY less dangerous than installing Duokan.
What feature or features of Duokan are you after?
The document reader?

We have some very good document readers here for the Kindle.
Those include KUAL buttons to launch them.

We have the KUAL project, with a good choice of buttons.

Almost everything "KUAL" is designed to install to the user's USB storage, **not** into the Amazon file image.

(Note: Some of the prerequisites for KUAL do **add files** to the Amazon image. Nothing harmful though.)

The things I mentioned above are as "safe" as after-market software can be. Each with thousands of users.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #1233
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, as everyone just said, I also personally wouldn't touch Duokan with a ten foot pole .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #1234
tombates
tombates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I guess the next thing to ask is "What was that error code" that you mentioned having been displayed.
Generic error much like in the youTube vid thomass posted:

'The Update was not successful. Kindle is restarting'

However it seemed to work on the youTube vid, but I'm unable to boot into Duokan on restart using the q key. Also tried the other version of the bin file (which was also absorbed by the Kindle, so something happened!) but no luck.

Interesting reading the thread continue, about Jailbreak as an option. Ultimately I'm after the ability to natively read ePub and other open formats; I don't feel like I should have to convert eBooks, and I don't like Amazon's business model.

So, maybe I'll look into jailbreak now..!
tombates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #1235
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombates View Post
Interesting reading the thread continue, about Jailbreak as an option. Ultimately I'm after the ability to natively read ePub and other open formats; I don't feel like I should have to convert eBooks, and I don't like Amazon's business model.
Run the Duokan uninstall, just in case it can un-Duokan a partial install.

Then (for a K3):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047 and https://github.com/koreader/kindlepd.../wiki/Download

Despite its name, it is a multi-format reader.

Last edited by knc1; 07-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #1236
tombates

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Run the Duokan uninstall, just in case it can un-Duokan a partial install.

Then (for a K3):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047 and https://github.com/koreader/kindlepd.../wiki/Download

Despite its name, it is a multi-format reader.
Ok, Installed Jailbreak, Kindlet etc... and KUAL - that's all working.

Note: It didn't create the 'extensions' folder for me in the kindle root- odd? I had to do this myself. (K3, 3.4)

Downloaded the Kindlepdfviewer and places in extensions - KUAL correctly lists it.

I can enter KPDF and get the following options:
  • Start in Documents
  • Open Last Document
  • /

Which looks great - navigate to a book! Though, when I click either 'Start in Documents' or '/' it dumps be back on the Kindle OS start page that lists all my books (a filepath briefly flashes up in the bottom left of the screen before this occurs).

So, not working. Given that it didn't create the extensions folder either when installing KUAL, I'm wondering if it's a permissions issue?

Or, the fact that I've borked my K3 by half installing Duokan! I looked for a way to uninstall this as you suggested, but I think you can only do this from the Duokan GUI, which I never managed to boot into.

Sigh...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #1237
knc1
Going Viral

Just make the /extensions folder yourself.
(The automatic creation of that was only in a very early KUAL version.)

I don't think the device is "ruined" -
But I am not sure what to advise next -
Will leave that to someone more knowledgeable -
@Hawhill ???

PS> We should really move these off-topic posts out of the Duokan thread.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #1238
tombates

True - I'll start a new thread on this. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #1239
kaputt
kaputt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Guys, I installed Duokan, noticed that I'm able to switch to Kindle without rebooting through the menu. But is it possible to switch back to duokan without rebooting when I'm in kindle OS.

I saw that there's some launchpad recomendations, but my kindle isn't jailbroken.

So, is there a way?
kaputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #1240
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
I saw that there's some launchpad recomendations, but my kindle isn't jailbroken.So, is there a way?
No there isn't as long as jailbreak is not installed.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #1241
darksx
darksx can extract oil from cheesedarksx can extract oil from cheesedarksx can extract oil from cheesedarksx can extract oil from cheesedarksx can extract oil from cheesedarksx can extract oil from cheesedarksx can extract oil from cheesedarksx can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad 2; Kindle Keyboard
just tried to install duokan 2013 on my kindle keyboard but it doesn't work. error code u007. uninstalled my jailbreak and screensavers but still to no avail. reset to factory settings and still not working too.
darksx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #1242
Nickx
Nickx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi+3G, Kindle PW Wifi
Can't download the files, or I'm clicking the wrong link in the chinese forum, it says the file expired or something of that sort.. I don't see instructions on how to get the files for the latest duokan(not the one dated 2011, which is apparently the only that can be downloaded at the moment)

Last edited by Nickx; 08-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Nickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #1243
marceloindig
marceloindig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is there a way to disable the "split page scrolling" on Duokan 2013? I find it very annoying, specially when you are reading textbooks which have large tables or images. On Duokan Lite, you could just scroll to the other half of the page.

If I didn't make myself enough clear, when you want to advance your text, it doesn't simply "scroll". It shows you the rest of the page TOGETHER with a piece of the next page. I would like to restore the config so it simply scrolls and shows me the text of the same page, without putting anything from the next page on the screen.

I'm using a Kindle Keyboard. Is it any different on Paperwhite?
marceloindig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #1244
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickx View Post
Can't download the files, or I'm clicking the wrong link in the chinese forum, it says the file expired or something of that sort..
they moved into this forum

and this is the translated version.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #1245
Nickx
Nickx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi+3G, Kindle PW Wifi
How do you download from.. hxxp://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2721106744&uk=4096961464&third=15
Nickx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf