Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #166
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Slightly off topic, but with a bunch of those who appear to enjoy the Dresden series
as much as I do, I have to ask if any of you have read the "Codex Alera" series? If so,
did you like them as well?

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; I thought the Codex Alera series was a great fantasy series, myself.
(I like the parts that mimic the Roman Military atmosphere.)

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-11-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #167
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I know alansplace has said that he read them and enjoyed them. They are on my ever growing TBR list.

Last edited by Nyssa; 10-11-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: darn typos!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #168
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Slightly off topic, but with a bunch of those who appear to enjoy the Dresden series
as much as I do, I have to ask if any of you have read the "Codex Alera" series? If so,
did you like them as well?

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; I thought the Codex Alera series was a great fantasy series, myself.
(I like the parts that mimic the Roman Military atmosphere.)
read all six straight through and as i don't really do straight fantasy as a rule this is unusual for me. loved every one of the six!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #169
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
as much as I do, I have to ask if any of you have read the "Codex Alera" series?
I've never heard of it. The Dresden books are the only fantasy books I read. At present, anyway.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #170
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I've never heard of it. The Dresden books are the only fantasy books I read. At present, anyway.
check out these links.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/alera

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/furi...bof%2bcalderon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alera
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #171
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just saw on Facebook: Jim Butcher author of The Dresden Files, just joined Goodreads!!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #172
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Just saw on Facebook: Jim Butcher author of The Dresden Files, just joined Goodreads!!

i've seen posts about goodreads and there's a calibre plug-in that has something to do with it as well. i've never frequented the site myself though there's lots of folks who seem to like it a lot. anyway, after clicking your provided link, the info that i just scanned through there had multiple inaccuracies. also the picture of jim was 10 or so years old.

here's a more recent one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jim_butcher.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	77644  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #173
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i've seen posts about goodreads and there's a calibre plug-in that has something to do with it as well. i've never frequented the site myself though there's lots of folks who seem to like it a lot. anyway, after clicking your provided link, the info that i just scanned through there had multiple inaccuracies. also the picture of jim was 10 or so years old.

here's a more recent one.
*Shrug* Could be he had someone create the account for him. It was posted on Facebook yesterday with that link. As for the picture, its the same one he has on Amazon. Maybe he prefers himself with long hair.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #174
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:

Just joined and 3650 fans! Sounds like a good start.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #175
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Just joined and 3650 fans! Sounds like a good start.

Luck;
Ken
guess i should go back then and join the masses

did it and became a fan.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-11-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: add a comment
Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #176
Nyssa
Series Addict

Oh! Talking about Goodreads, I completely forgot about this: Challenge: The Dresden Files.

Those who take part in the MobileRead 100 book challenge here, are also welcome to join the MobileRead's 100 books in 2011 group over on GoodReads. The Dresden Files series is just one of the challenges going on at this time. More info on challenges and anything else MobilRead/Goodreads is available in the MobileRead section.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #177
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I'm still here as well, following the plan I mentioned in this post. Things are just going slowly.

I'm almost done with Avonlea, I'm finishing the short stories in Dates from Hell, and I plan on finishing The Island of Dr. Moreau this weekend. Reading it in bits and pieces doesn't really work for me, but I won't have any real sit down time until the weekend.
I'm here, thanks to Nyssa, and I read every single post. Funny you mention Dates from Hell, because that's the collection that got me interested in The Hollows, although I haven't read any of them yet. I want to at least get caught up on the Iron Druid Chronicles before I add yet another series.

Just started Dresden #4, Summer Knight, this evening. I had hoped to knock a sizable dent in it, but I've been reading this thread instead. I was going to put together a reading plan of sorts but we all know I suck at that (not to mention that I tend to occasionally disappear for months at a time) so I'm just reading what I feel like reading, and lately I've been missing Harry. A wizard who risks life and limb to save the girl, nearly getting himself killed and often looking like a bumbling fool in the process? I need me one of those!!! But I'll settle for fiction. *sigh*
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #178
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Going to start Proven Guilty today, it's my 100th book this year!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #179
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm here, thanks to Nyssa, and I read every single post. Funny you mention Dates from Hell, because that's the collection that got me interested in The Hollows, although I haven't read any of them yet. I want to at least get caught up on the Iron Druid Chronicles before I add yet another series.

Just started Dresden #4, Summer Knight, this evening. I had hoped to knock a sizable dent in it, but I've been reading this thread instead. I was going to put together a reading plan of sorts but we all know I suck at that (not to mention that I tend to occasionally disappear for months at a time) so I'm just reading what I feel like reading, and lately I've been missing Harry. A wizard who risks life and limb to save the girl, nearly getting himself killed and often looking like a bumbling fool in the process? I need me one of those!!! But I'll settle for fiction. *sigh*
Welcome aboard! Glad you've joined us.

As for the reading plan, yeah, sometimes it works and other times no so much. I decided to make one becuase I have so many books I want to read, and its so easy to get distracted and drift away. That, plus, I've burned myself out before sticking with just one series - reading it back to back, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Going to start Proven Guilty today, it's my 100th book this year!
Sent congratulations Karma your way!!
One day I might get there but I know it won't be this year.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #180
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Sent congratulations Karma your way!!
One day I might get there but I know it won't be this year.
Thank you for the Karma!
I don't think I'm going to do the a challenge next year, just keep a list of the books I've read. Looking back at what I've read this year I can see I have changed my reading a lot. Before 2011 I read longer books than I did this year. And I know I've been putting off reading long books. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy the challenge but I like to go back to an easier pace. My personal challenge for next year (actually starting now) is for every new book series I start I have to finish two that I'm currently reading.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy