Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Luck64
Luck64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Official Kobo dictionaries won't show up

Hi there.
Yesterday I downgraded mi Kobo Aura 1 to 4.19.14123 since the last update felt really buggy. Now I'm trying to add the dictionaries I had before the reset, but I'm having trouble adding them.
When I go to Settings > Languages and dictionaries, the screen shows "0 dictionaries installed". I then tap "Edit" but no dictionaries will show up on the list (I'm connected to my wifi network, the Kobo Store loads just fine).
I then tried to download them manually, and add them to the kobo/dict folder. That worked partially: when I highlight a word, a definition is show from a dictionary automatically chosen, but I can't chose the dictionary I want to use, the list is empty (when tapped, it just shows a little dot on the top of the language name).
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thank you for your time.
Luck64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Are you able to install a custom dictionary with a custom suffix manually (see https://pgaskin.net/dictutil/dicthtml/install.html)?

Last edited by geek1011; 07-15-2020 at 11:09 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
Luck64

I'm sorry. I'm not able to install dictutil neither on linux nor on windows, I've been trying for the last hour to make it work.
On linux I can clone the git repository but I can't install it. There's no makefile and on the documentation I can't find any instruction on how to install it. On windows, when I run the .exe nothing happens, and cmd won't recognize the command.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck64 View Post
I'm sorry. I'm not able to install dictutil neither on linux nor on windows, I've been trying for the last hour to make it work.
On linux I can clone the git repository but I can't install it. There's no makefile and on the documentation I can't find any instruction on how to install it. On windows, when I run the .exe nothing happens, and cmd won't recognize the command.
You need to run the .exe from the command line like (in PowerShell) ".\dictutil-windows.exe install dicthtml-wb.zip".
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Luck64

Thank you!
It looks like it copies the .zip but fails to update the database and shows and error. Here's what it returns.

Quote:
Copying dictzip.
Wrote dictzip to "K:.kobo\\dict\\dicthtml-es.zip".
Updating ExtraLocales.
No need; replacing built-in dictionary.
Updating database.
.\dictutil-windows.exe : Error: update database: check dictionary table: not found, and version < 4.20.14123.
At line:1 char:1
+ .\dictutil-windows.exe install dicthtml-es.zip
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Error: update d...n < 4.20.14123.:String) [], RemoteException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError
I'm going to try manually editing the .sqlite file

Last edited by Luck64; 07-15-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Did you download without a factory reset or signing out of the Kobo account? If so, you have probably lost the Dictionary table from the database. This is no longer needed and isn't created in the recent firmware versions.

The following is the definition. Running this with your favourite SQLite tools should fix it.

Code:
CREATE TABLE Dictionary (
	Suffix		TEXT,
	Name		TEXT,
	Installed	BOOL,
	Size		TEXT,
	LastModified	TEXT,
	IsSynced	BOOL,
	PRIMARY KEY(Suffix)
)
I don't think you need to insert anything. That should be done during a sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-15-2020 at 11:04 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
Luck64

Thank you for your reply. As you said, the problem sure is the dictionary database. I could solve this by updating it to the latest firmware, download all the dictionaries I wanted and then downgrading it again. It somehow kept the dictionaries intact.
Thank you again.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:41 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck64 View Post
Thank you for your reply. As you said, the problem sure is the dictionary database. I could solve this by updating it to the latest firmware, download all the dictionaries I wanted and then downgrading it again. It somehow kept the dictionaries intact.
That will depend on what you did. The later firmware doesn't remove the Dictionary table, it just stops using it. If you had done a factory reset and gone straight to 4.22.x, you would not have the table. Downloading without a factory reset or signing out of the Kobo account would not trigger creation of the table.

If you have a working system with the Dictionary table and update or download, the table will be there. The next sync will just populate it, or ignore it depending on the firmware version.

The complication to this is that the table has become less important over the last few firmware versions. I think with 4.19.x, it is used for syncing, but, not when doing a look up. Or, it might be the other way round. I think that if you have the dictionary files, but no Dictionary table, it will work for a bit, but, sooner or later it will stop working. I'll admit to not having tested this. I just use the supplied dictionaries and don't fiddle with them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, kobo, official