Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
malaga.1979
malaga.1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96 DT
Dictionary missing in N96 after firmaware update to 1.8.1

Hi,

After updating to firmaware version 1.8.1, I cannot see the "Dictionary" setting anymore. Furthermore, no dictionary entries are retrieved when I call the dictionary from the OReader app. I get the message "No dict found". Has anyone the same issue and knows how to fix it?

Also, the only dictionaries that can be downloaded from the built-in app are chinese. Does anyone know from where other dictionaries can be downloaded? Thanks!
malaga.1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
A lot of free Startdict dictionaries can be downloaded from here: http://download.huzheng.org/

Neo 2 supports for dictionaries two folders : dicts and dictionary. You can place your folders with particular dictionaries there.

The older version of Neo is kind of obsolete and will be completely replaced by Neo 2 soon. We will focus on Neo reader 2 and Neo 1 will be not supported in the future . Since the dictionary interface in Neo 2 is quite different, the app will not work in old Neo since 1.8.1.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
malaga.1979

Hi, Booxtor,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Sorry if my questions are too basic, but there are a couple of points that I don't understand:

1) I have placed Stardict dictionaries in both places you mention, but none of them works. The required extension seems to be now .mdx. Stardict dictionaries have a different extension not recognized by my N96.

2) What do you mean by "Neo"?

3) Before, if I am not wrong, there was a setting allowing the user to use different dictionary apps. I think it was under Settings > Languages > Dictionary. This is not present any more. Does this means that only the built-in dictionary can be used within OReader?

Thanks a lot again,

Best regards
Old 02-26-2017, 03:43 AM   #4
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
A lot of free Startdict dictionaries can be downloaded from here: http://download.huzheng.org/

Neo 2 supports for dictionaries two folders : dicts and dictionary. You can place your folders with particular dictionaries there.

The older version of Neo is kind of obsolete and will be completely replaced by Neo 2 soon. We will focus on Neo reader 2 and Neo 1 will be not supported in the future . Since the dictionary interface in Neo 2 is quite different, the app will not work in old Neo since 1.8.1.
I have M96 with 1.8.0_ac0867C and I put stardict dictionary in "dicts" and "dictionary" folder. I open an ePub with oReader and I got an "no dictionary found" error. I open an ePub with Onyx Neon Reader and I got an "no dictionary found" error. Only the "Dict" App can see the dictionary.

How can I read an ePub AND use the dict?

Thank you

Fabrizio
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:57 AM   #5
Jan the dane
Jan the dane began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX N96CML
How did you update? I followed the instructions from the homepage, but "No update package available" with update.zip in the root. Can U help? -OK, solved. But the dictionaries!

Last edited by Jan the dane; 03-04-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Jan the dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #6
ou4read
ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen.
Overall feedback from many users was not positive at all. Stability was the main issue on 1.8.1. Is there a reason you want to upgrade?
ou4read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
White_Sox
White_Sox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaga.1979 View Post
Hi,

After updating to firmaware version 1.8.1, I cannot see the "Dictionary" setting anymore. Furthermore, no dictionary entries are retrieved when I call the dictionary from the OReader app. I get the message "No dict found". Has anyone the same issue and knows how to fix it?

Also, the only dictionaries that can be downloaded from the built-in app are chinese. Does anyone know from where other dictionaries can be downloaded? Thanks!

I have the same problem after upgrading to 1.8.1 on the i86 plus.
After going through the release notes for the version 1.8.0, I found this:

2.7 Only Neo Reader 2.0 supports word look-ups from books directly, Oreader and Neo Reader will support by next version .  

I guess they haven't solved this problem in 1.8.1.
I suggest you start using Neo Reader 2.0 instead of Oreader or FBReader if you want to look up words directly from the books.
Also, don't upgrade Neo Reader 2.0 after the firmware upgrade. I installed an updated that stopped the dictionary from working. Had to revert.

Let's wait for the next firmware upgrade to see if these issues are solved.
White_Sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
malaga.1979

Hi,

After the recent update, I keep getting the same dictionary issue. I've put the relevant dictionaries in both folders, and it doesn't seem to work. Please, note that dictionaries are of utmost importance in any e-reader application. Thanks for looking into this issue.

DETAILS:

- I have inserted the relevant dictionaries BOTH under sdcard/dict and sdcard/dictionaries.
- When I underline a word within Neo Reader, the dictionary window opens with the message "The dictionary is not installed or have exception".
- However, if a look up the word within the dictionary app, the correct entry is retrieved.
- I've put three different dictionaries in the abovementioned folders. Only one of them is working at all within the dictionary app (none of them works within Neo Reader).

If you need more details, please, do not hesitate to request them. Thanks.

Last edited by malaga.1979; 05-01-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
For those experiencing dictionary issues after upgrading their boox firmware: As stated before by Booxtor in in the "Onyx Boox i86" thread:
Quote:
in 1.8.1 update the system db has been significantly modified and the only way to make it working entirely properly is to use reset to the so called "factory settings" after update: settings->system->privacy
Understanding this as "since 1.8.1 update the system db has been significantly modified", I performed a reset to factory settings right away after updating firmware to 1.8.2 on an i86, and dictionaries work as expected. My books and apps were not harmed in the process. Maybe you should simply give that a try?
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:03 AM   #10
Solvaring
Solvaring began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
I am also having this problem with the boox max, before the last firmware update I did i could access the dictionary from within a book, now I can only look up words by directly using the dictionary app. Unfortunately I really don't want to roll back because the page turn was dreadfully slow before the last firmware update.

Does it matter whether the dictionary files are placed in Dictionary or dicts? I have both directories with identical dictionaries in each one, I still get the 'dictionary not found' error when trying to access the dictionary from inside a book.

If it doesn't matter which directory they're in I would like to delete one of them because that kind of stuff bugs me, I just loaded up each folder identically when i started having this problem to see if that might fix it.
Solvaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
White_Sox
White_Sox began at the beginning.

Device: none
The latest updates for Neo Reader 2.0 and dict app restored the in book word lookups. FBReader and Oreader still have the issue, mind you.
Update the apps on Application -> App Update Check.
At least Neo Reader 2.0 seems to be working fine.
White_Sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
malaga.1979

Hi,

The dictionary feature does work again. However, I can only make it work with mdx files, but not with Stardict files. Does anyone know where I can find dictionaries in mdx format? I've looked for them on the Web without success.

Does anyone know what are really the supported dictionary formats in N96?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Den_mr
Den_mr began at the beginning.

Device: N96ML
N96ML

Hello,

Have just bought my N96ML and have issue with dictionary. I updated system to 2017-05-05_11-48_1.8.2_bad51ca version.

I set up dictionary as it is described in user manual:

I can see the people here mention OReader, Neo Oreader, Neo Oreader 2. Could somebody clarify this as I can see in my apps list OReader even after updating to the latest system version.

Thus, I tried almost everything but still nor result with translation directly from the text you read.
Den_mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
Den_mr
Den_mr began at the beginning.

Device: N96ML
Is anybody alive here?

Could you please help?
Den_mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
Jan the dane
Jan the dane began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX N96CML
To me, dictionaries are essential, I understand your woe. I just updated to 1.8.2 for N96CML, and Neo Oreader 2 is there. I have an italian-english dictionary installed, stardict-longman. It works, but it is very, very rudimentary. From there I go to wiktionary by pressing the globe-symbol. - As with most computer hassle, if you can't fix it, often you can find way around the problem. Download a dictionary from app-store and use copy and paste. Switching from one application to another is tedious work, so I use the app Swapp, which makes it easier. - You might also consider downloading the Kindle app, there the dictionaries work like a charm.
Jan the dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, n96