Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
mracct14
mracct14 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Download News in Multiple Formats (for Auto Send to Different Devices)

Is there a way to download news in multiple formats? I've described why I think this would be helpful below:

I use calibre to download news for use on a Kindle (in mobi format) and a phone (in ePub format). I use the auto send feature to email news to my phone (in ePub format).

I recently changed my preferred output format in calibre to mobi (to benefit from the Kindle's periodical interface, which I think requires that calibre download news in Mobi format). Since I made this change, ePub versions of the news files are not auto-sent to my phone. In the "sharing books by email" settings page, I have checked "auto send" for my phone's email address, and I have indicated that that address should only receive ePub files.

I assume the problem is that the auto-send is never triggered because calibre downloads news in mobi format, so calibre never sees any new news files in ePub format to auto-send. I can't change my preferred output format to ePub, as I understand my files converted from ePub to mobi wouldn't use the Kindle's periodical interface. I think downloading news files in both ePub and Mobi would fix the problem. Is there any way to do that or any other way to resolve this issue?
mracct14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Read news in the mobi format on your phone. As far as news is concerned MOBI is perfectly adequate.

Alternatively have two calibre installs, or use the calibre command line interface to create a script that does the news download and emailing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
mracct14
mracct14 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thank you. I will look into running an instance of calibre that just downloads and sends ePub news files to my phone, which should be simple enough if I can figure out how to keep the second instance from interfering with the first when my Kindle is plugged in. There don't appear to be any good mobi readers for my phone (an iPhone).
mracct14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use environment variables to give your instances of calibre separate configurations: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote