Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
lathom
Kindle user
lathom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Custom metadata field sort

Feature request: allow specification of the display order of custom metadata fields.

I've added a lot of custom fields and because of default alpha sort some of the ones I need to edit more frequently require scrolling down in the edit metadata dialog.

Also, I've added a custom "long text" field and it is displayed last in the dialog. I'd really like it to be first.

Thanks!
-Andy
lathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathom View Post
Feature request: allow specification of the display order of custom metadata fields.

I've added a lot of custom fields and because of default alpha sort some of the ones I need to edit more frequently require scrolling down in the edit metadata dialog.

Also, I've added a custom "long text" field and it is displayed last in the dialog. I'd really like it to be first.

Thanks!
-Andy
If you start typing, the suggestion list usually jumps.
If you use a Predefined text field, the order is your comma list order
There is other Behavior preference for the (single) Metadata edit if you are still using the default.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathom View Post
This would probably be up to me, given that I wrote much of the custom column definition and edit code. Unfortunately for this request, I don't have any personal need for this feature and am thus not motivated to do the work. If anyone else wants to take it on, then the widgets are built in gui2.custom_column_widgets.py. Some interface would need to be added to specify and store the order of the widgets, something would need to be done to keep things working in the face of changes to the columns, and the difficulties of arbitrary placement of comments fields in the two-column layout would need to be resolved.

Potential workaround for edit metadata single: use the standard 3-tab window and set the tweak metadata_single_use_2_cols_for_custom_fields=True. This might help, even if you have so many custom fields that they won't all fit on the two-column layout. Edit metadata bulk always uses the single-column layout.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I decided to go ahead and implement this. I added a new tweak, metadata_edit_custom_column_order, containing the list of widgets (columns) to put first. The tweak is listed under "Order of custom columns in column(s) in edit metadata".

It will be in the next calibre release (0.8.31).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote